TEDBF or ORCA Updates

mokoman

Country flag
Yes approved and currently in development's . Correct me if I am wrong's .
According to last piece of news only MWF, TEDBF and AMCA in active development .

I don't buy the 2024 first flight for AMCA , it will end up flying in 2032.

The Navy is expected to start receiving new twin-engine aircraft carrier-based fighter aircraft being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) by 2032

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
According to last piece of news only MWF, TEDBF and AMCA in active development .

The Navy is expected to start receiving new twin-engine aircraft carrier-based fighter aircraft being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) by 2032
Surprise is in the box's.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Your purchase is not mandatory... as of now it is barely behind MWF in its design status. However there are several new tech & subsystems that'll go with it, that'll push it's operational deployment to post-2030.

Last edited:

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Aesa radar build upon tr modules. GAN based aesa could have different power demands but nothing unmanageable.

Uttam production unit will probably carry gaN based trm by the time mwf enters serial production in 2026.
Can't be so sure yet....I am no electronics expert so i won't try elaborating on the challenges with heating problems due to higher power output per trm and all the circuitry realated stuff....if some one can then please do....
But so far we (and all others around the world) are only at the initial stages of this development....
AFAIK we haven't developed or are only in the process of developing an x band or Ku band trm with yet with GaN...so there's that....what we have yet is upto only L,S & C.......(the one that SAAB tested on gripen was x band) and then we can worry about all the other issues....

IndianHawk

Country flag
Can't be so sure yet....I am no electronics expert so i won't try elaborating on the challenges with heating problems due to higher power output per trm and all the circuitry realated stuff....if some one can then please do....
But so far we (and all others around the world) are only at the initial stages of this development....
AFAIK we haven't developed or are only in the process of developing an x band or Ku band trm with yet with GaN...so there's that....what we have yet is upto only L,S & C.......(the one that SAAB tested on gripen was x band) and then we can worry about all the other issues....
It's rather simple actually . If gripens power system can handle cooling requirements of gaN based aesa than mwf can do the same . Both have same power plant.

Regarding bands we are testing at rapid pace and there are still 5-6 years for mwf to enter production.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
It's rather simple actually . If gripens power system can handle cooling requirements of gaN based aesa than mwf can do the same . Both have same power plant.

Regarding bands we are testing at rapid pace and there are still 5-6 years for mwf to enter production.
Well what they tested was actually GaN trm module attatched to PS-05/A Mk 4 mechanically scanned radar.....
As of now this radar is not planned to be integrated to any gripen models....
There is no GaN radar as such yet...i would rather say it was a test of the GaN trm module.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Well what they tested was actually GaN trm module attatched to PS-05/A Mk 4 mechanically scanned radar.....
As of now this radar is not planned to be integrated to any gripen models....
There is no GaN radar as such yet...i would rather say it was a test of the GaN trm module.
Yes but what's even the point of these test if gripen in future can't handle a gaN based aesa??
All radars will be gAN based in due course of time just like all radars are going aesa now.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
View attachment 52967

Jan 26, 2016: India and France sign MoU for 36 Rafale aircraft.

Sep 23 2016: Inter-governmental agreement signed.

Oct 23 2019: 1st Rafale handed over to IAF.

July 14 2020: Only 4 Rafales ready for delivery.

Let Dassalt complete even 50% of the present order 1st... Then we'll see. By 2024 India will be able to afford 2 more Rafale squadrons (albeit for price of 5 Mark1A ones)
Kek that image, I almost lost my shit gotta go change my pants now.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Yes but what's even the point of these test if gripen in future can't handle a gaN based aesa??
All radars will be gAN based in due course of time just like all radars are going aesa now.
These tests have many reasons....even the attachment of these GaN modules itself is a problem for maintaining proper thermal conductivity...so a lot of parameters to test for the technology itself....before going into a proper radar design with it....
Remember,we are only working on GaN technology development now....

IndianHawk

Country flag
These tests have many reasons....even the attachment of these GaN modules itself is a problem for maintaining proper thermal conductivity...so a lot of parameters to test for the technology itself....before going into a proper radar design with it....
Remember,we are only working on GaN technology development now....
And we are developing them with a target to get them into our jets so theoretical issues have been catered in. DRDO has said long ago that uttam production may include gAN trm . That itself means it's well within realms of all. Theroratical possibility and challenges.

mokoman

Country flag
Your purchase is not mandatory... as of now it is barely behind MWF in its design status. However there are several new tech & subsystems that'll go with it, that'll push it's operational deployment to post-2030.
:hmm: Keep hearing conflicting info , 2024 is unrealistic , 2028 more probable , maybe 2032.

Read somewhere that AMCA prototype work will only start after MWF prototyping is completed.That will push it to 2032.

This article also says 2032.

:notsure: I think we will end up buying 5th gen from abroad,change AMCA into 6th gen .

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
:hmm: Keep hearing conflicting info , 2024 is unrealistic , 2028 more probable , maybe 2032.

Read somewhere that AMCA prototype work will only start after MWF prototyping is completed.That will push it to 2032.

This article also says 2032.

:notsure: I think we will end up buying 5th gen from abroad,change AMCA into 6th gen .
Mokomon, take a reast' dont go Into a bheja fry mode's.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
And we are developing them with a target to get them into our jets so theoretical issues have been catered in. DRDO has said long ago that uttam production may include gAN trm . That itself means it's well within realms of all. Theroratical possibility and challenges.
The target must be for GaN based vivaldi antennae or TSA based one for AMCA.....mmh, now that would be some sight...🤞

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

Confirmed from HVT that there isn't any indication of such a delay that will push first flight of AMCA from 24-25 to post-2030. It'll need 5-6 years of testing & tech integration, so unlike MWF operational clearance will take time.
And while MWF metal cutting is scheduled to start in February 2021, AMCA was to be from mid-2023 if I remember correctly.

And situation has changed in last 2 years... Our 5th gen pkan is now effectively split between ±5th gen ORCA, 5th gen AMCA Mark1 & 5th+ gen AMCA Mark2!

Flying Dagger

Country flag
No one will ramp up their production for a few jets. It's not vegetable market.

MOU doesn't mean deal but just understanding between the two parties

Try your logic on HAL's delivey schedule and add time for development of mk2 programme.

And Dassault will complete their delivery by 2022 in 3 yrs around .

View attachment 52967

Jan 26, 2016: India and France sign MoU for 36 Rafale aircraft.

Sep 23 2016: Inter-governmental agreement signed.

Oct 23 2019: 1st Rafale handed over to IAF.

July 14 2020: Only 4 Rafales ready for delivery.

Let Dassalt complete even 50% of the present order 1st... Then we'll see. By 2024 India will be able to afford 2 more Rafale squadrons (albeit for price of 5 Mark1A ones)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
No one will ramp up their production for a few jets. It's not vegetable market.
Well India can't afford a batch size that'll get them to ramp up... Hell, 36 Rafales cost more than 83 Mark1A did even before the price re-negotiation & HAL's 50% profit cut (assuming IAF will actually pay & not add it to tab of already 20kcrore. Lol)

Maybe another squadron of two of it. No more.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Well India can't afford a batch size that'll get them to ramp up... Hell, 36 Rafales cost more than 83 Mark1A did even before the price renegotiation & HAL's 50% profit cut.

Maybe a squadron of two more. No mass.
What do you mean mass?

we all know it's highly unlikely the total no. will cross 126 chances are 36-54 more.

But until we commit they won't ramp up. And most important they are punctual with their time schedule unlike HAL.

Comparing prices of Tejasmk1a with Rafale is classic case of apple to oranges .

What abt the capability difference 1 Rafale brings in comparison to 2-3 tejas ?

HVT wants import of aircrafts to be cancelled in the hope of future leaving IAF vulnerable . Their is a term called hedging that is what Rafale is for us.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles