TEDBF or ORCA Updates

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Big brother, middle brother, little brother...

Rafale vs MWF vs Mark1A.jpg
ORCA vs MWF vs Mark1A - Copy - Copy.jpg

Explaination of my specification estimates:
  • Length adjusted for wings to start exactly where canards end, like in that official silhouette. No gap. No overlap. Turned out slightly longer than Rafale, unclear how much. 15m+
  • No change in wings, but fuselage of Rafale. Similar wing area of MWF & Rafale, less overall wingspan than latter. 9m+
  • MTOW should increase owing to 15kN & 40kN greater dry & wet thrust overall.
  • Minor range increae possible due to more internal fuel. 50:50
@Kuntal is one of your TEDBF concepts like this?

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
View attachment 52904
  • Length adjusted for wings to start exactly where canards end, like that official silhouette. No gap. No overlap. Slightly longer than Rafale, unclear how much. 15m+
  • No change in wings, but fuselage of Rafale. Similar wing area of MWF & Rafale, less overall wingspan than latter. 9m+
  • MTOW should increase owing to greater thrust.
Very decent work . Tedbf should be pretty close to these numbers.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I would say it's a Fifth generation aircraft without Stealth.
Yes it's avionics ( radar , ew suite , sensor fusion, weaponry etc) would be 5th gen only airframe and engine would be 4.5 gen.

It will get GAN based aesa and ew suite very advanced sensors for irst / maws / laser warning/ radar warning etc.

Would be capable of handling drone swarm , networked warfare , unmanned wingman. Etc.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I would say it's a Fifth generation aircraft without Stealth.
...only airframe and engine would be 4.5 gen.
Well, you can expect sone degree of frontal stealth.
If MWF is getting semi-stealth with RCS reducing features borrowed from AMCA, then ORCA would too... Their initial renders themselves showed sawtoothed joints etc.
I still maintain that they're less likely design a twinF414 fuselage from scratch instead of modifying AMCA's.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Well, you can expect sone degree of frontal stealth.
If MWF is getting semi-stealth with RCS reducing features borrowed from AMCA, then ORCA would too... Their initial renders themselves showed sawtoothed joints etc.
I still maintain that they're less likely design a twinF414 fuselage from scratch instead of modifying AMCA's.
Yes amca influence will be all over both mwf and tedbf. Advanced avionics developed for AMCA including all internal sensors and highly integrated fusion will find it's way to tedbf.

That is why I think orca is inevitable. IAF won't be able to resist a rafalesque indian jet with AMCA tech.

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
Yes amca influence will be all over both mwf and tedbf. Advanced avionics developed for AMCA including all internal sensors and highly integrated fusion will find it's way to tedbf.

That is why I think orca is inevitable. IAF won't be able to resist a rafalesque indian jet with AMCA tech.
Bohot hi bada sapna dikha rahe ho. Can't wait to see those jets lined up at Indian bases (or on Carriers) in the hundreds 😍

Akula

Country flag
View attachment 52904
  • Length adjusted for wings to start exactly where canards end, like in that official silhouette. No gap. No overlap. Turned out slightly longer than Rafale, unclear how much. 15m+
  • MTOW should increase owing to 15kN & 40kN greater dry & wet thrust overall.
@Kuntal is one of your TEDBF concepts like this?
If ORCA becomes a reality, than half of Indian airforce fleet will be of Canard planes.
Su-30mki
Rafale
MWF
ORCA

WolfPack86

Country flag
Mig-29K to be retired in 2034, TEDBF to join Navy in 2032 – Defence News of India
SOURCE: THE HINDU

The Navy is expected to start receiving new twin-engine aircraft carrier-based fighter aircraft being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) by 2032 and it will be a replacement for the Russian MiG-29K carrier jets in service, a defence source said.

“The Navy is expected to get the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL)-built twin-engine carrier aircraft by 2032. It will replace the MiG-29Ks in service which are scheduled to start going out by 2034,” the source said. The Navy currently operates Russian-origin carrier INS Vikramaditya and expects to have the first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-I) Vikrant operational by 2022. With a second carrier to come in, the Navy is already evaluating a global tender for 57 carrier-based twin-engine fighter aircraft.

With the new jet under development and also factoring in budgetary constraints, the Navy is looking to revise the tender for 57 carrier-based jets downwards. The revised numbers have not been finalised yet, the source stated.

Last January, the naval Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) successfully completed arrested landing and take-off on board Vikramaditya and has since undertaken several trials.

Deck-based fighter
Based on the experience of the carrier landing, the DRDO has offered to develop a twin-engine deck-based fighter for the Navy. With the successful deck-landing, they decided to drop the naval LCA Mk2 and move on to the twin-engine jet, the source said.

The new jet being developed by DRDO should be ready by 2026, Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh stated last December. The design specifications have since been finalised.

The Navy currently has 45 Russian MiG-29K aircraft and its officials had stated that there will not be enough aircraft to operate from both carriers.

The Navy is currently evaluating the responses to the Request For Information (RFI) from Boeing with its F-18 Super Hornet and Dassault Aviation with its Rafale jets. Both companies had stated that their jets can operate off the ski-jump of Vikramaditya and in future the Vikrant.

In fact, an Indian Navy team was to visit the US Naval Air Station in Maryland to witness a demonstration by Boeing on the compatibility of its F-18 Super Hornet of taking off and landing from the decks of Indian aircraft carriers. However, the visit got delayed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Mig-29K to be retired in 2034, TEDBF to join Navy in 2032

idrw.org .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website http://idrw.org/mig-29k-to-be-retired-in-2034-tedbf-to-join-navy-in-2032/#more-230918 .
So they have 14 years to deliver tedbf to navy. Sufficient time. If they could fly a prototype of tedbf before 2025 then it could be ready for service by 2030 itself following mwf type prototype / production concurrent model.

And Hal md has said that tedbf may come before AMCA just after mwf flies so maybe by 2023-24 tedbf prototype will fly . Which means it could be have IOC by 2027-28. And FOC by 2030.

I'm eagerly awaiting specs of tedbf .

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yes the delivery can start specially if it's Rafale as we are already inducting them.
IMG_20200714_110105.jpg

Jan 26, 2016: India and France sign MoU for 36 Rafale aircraft.

Sep 23 2016: Inter-governmental agreement signed.

Oct 23 2019: 1st Rafale handed over to IAF.

July 14 2020: Only 4 Rafales ready for delivery.

Let Dassalt complete even 50% of the present order 1st... Then we'll see. By 2024 India will be able to afford 2 more Rafale squadrons (albeit for price of 5 Mark1A ones)

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles