Tata Nano Diesel - WOW

pmaitra

Last edited by a moderator:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Tata's passenger car segment diesel engine sucks big time, wonder how this puny CDI unit will perform in the long run.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It will be a great save.

If only the looks could be more nattier!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
TATA Group working on electric car using Dassault design technologies

Sunday, 24 Jun 2012
Diversified business house, Tata group, is developing an electric car that is expected to be priced below USD 20,000 in partnership with France's Dassault Systemes.

The group's engineering services outsourcing and product development IT services arm, TATA Technologies has completed the first feasibility study of the electric vehicle using Dassault Systemes' 3DEXPERIENCE Platform.

In a statement, TATA Technologies President (Vehicle Programs and Development Group), Mr Kevin Fisher said the company is working on with Dassault Systemes to "leverage the talents of a global engineering team to meet numerous designs and cost constraints, as well as create the targeted user experience, including a final vehicle price tag of under USD 20,000."

The statement, however, did not share other details such as when the vehicle is likely to be launched or how much the company is investing to develop the product.

With the help of Dassault Systemes' technologies, the TATA group firm had completed its first electric MObility study, demonstrating the feasibility of developing an electric vehicle at an attractive price.

The company said a significant challenge in the development process was the requirement to fit all the vehicle systems into a small footprint, while maintaining spacious seating for four adults.

It added that "To achieve this, TATA Technologies utilised the powerful capabilities within CATIA and ENOVIA applications to quickly develop various studies, allowing global collaboration to rapidly evaluate and converge on optimal solutions."

The development of the eMO is a global effort, requiring collaboration among over 300 Tata Technologies engineers from different places, including India, the US and Europe.

Commenting on the development, Dassault Systemes Executive Vice President (Industry), Mr Monica Menghini said that "TATA Technologies is a key business partner for us and we see its innovative and forward—looking project as the perfect example of how our 3DEXPERIENCE platform is critical to collaboration with OEMs for accelerated development cycles."

Source - Business Standard

TATA Group working on electric car - 270098 - 2012-06-24

pmaitra

Tata's passenger car segment diesel engine sucks big time, wonder how this puny CDI unit will perform in the long run.
Why? What's wrong with Tata's diesels? The DICOR of the Safari is a very successful engine, or so I hear.

peacecracker

Tata Diesels are good. even the NA Diesel engine used in Indicas can last 1.90Lakh Kilometers before a overhaul. only issue is build quality IMO. rusting of body shell particularly because of the sheets are not treated with zinc(Japan sheets - they say) unlike Japan/Euro Cars which will withstand rusting and correct fit and finish without panel gaps,lack of machine precision.

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I would say engineering and refinement issue, more over TATA diesel are not known to tolerate with low quality diesel fuel while one cannot ensure quality diesel through out the cycle, the actual problem is with the fuel quality but other options available in market can still perform better. TATA indica vista quadrajet employes a ford diesel mil and perform significantly better then her sisters.

pmaitra

Tata Diesels are good. even the NA Diesel engine used in Indicas can last 1.90Lakh Kilometers before a overhaul. only issue is build quality IMO. rusting because of the sheets are not treated with zinc(Japan sheets - they say) unlike Japan/Euro Cars which will withstand rusting and correct fit and finish without panel gaps,lack of machine precision.
Not quite correct about all European cars. VolksWagen sells diesels here in the US. Those are made in Germany. They have cast iron engines. They won't rust.

Tata was collaborating with Cummins for a long time. While not as refined as VolksWagen engines, their diesels can take a lot of abuse.

A typical American gasoline engine needs overhaul after 180,000 miles, while a diesel needs overhaul after 800,000 miles, i.e., if they have been properly maintained and not abused.

pmaitra

I would say engineering and refinement issue, more over TATA diesel are not known to tolerate with low quality diesel fuel while one cannot ensure quality diesel through out the cycle, the actual problem is with the fuel quality but other options available in market can still perform better. TATA indica vista quadrajet employes a ford diesel mil and perform significantly better then her sisters.
Neither can VolksWagen diesels withstand low quality diesel. You have bacteria breeding in diesel fuel, water contamination, sulphur, and host of other things, that a VolksWagen, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and other high-end cars' diesels cannot tolerate.

pmaitra

Tata Diesels are good. even the NA Diesel engine used in Indicas can last 1.90Lakh Kilometers before a overhaul. only issue is build quality IMO. rusting of body shell particularly because of the sheets are not treated with zinc(Japan sheets - they say) unlike Japan/Euro Cars which will withstand rusting and correct fit and finish without panel gaps,lack of machine precision.
Are you talking about the shell of the car body? I was talking about the diesel engine.

peacecracker

I would have particularly said, the rusting of body shell,underbody-running board like in Ambassador/Fiat-Padmini era is a problem with Tata cars especially old Indicas. Especially if You live in coastal cities.

Vista uses Fiat's multijet diesel engines. the problem with Tata Cars also is the quality of service. most are content with maruti especially because of the service.

Regarding Indica, Even 2lakh kilometers for a Naturally Aspirated(NA) diesel engine in Indian conditions is good. I am appreciating that.:cool2:
Old Indica diesel mill is actually related to Peugot TUD5 diesels(used in Zen diesel and 137D etc) AFAIK.

Last edited:

pmaitra

I would have particularly said, the rusting of body shell,underbody-running board like in Ambassador/Fiat-Padmini era is a problem with Tata cars especially old Indicas.

Vista uses Fiat's multijet diesel engines. the problem with Tata Cars also is the quality of service. most are content with maruti especially because of the service.

Regarding Indica, Even 2lakh kilometers for a Naturally Aspirated(NA) diesel engine in Indian conditions is good. I am appreciating that.:cool2:
Old Indica diesel mill is actually related to Peugot TUD5 diesels AFAIK.
The multi-jet, AFAIK, is the same pizo-electric jet system used in a common rail diesel engine. Correct me if I am wrong.

Naturally aspirated diesels won't cut the ice anymore. In low temperatures, there is not enough heat; and in high altitudes, not enough oxygen. In both cases, a lot of diesel is left unburnt, and hence emissions. Turbo charging is the way to go.

You are right about Peugoet.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles