T-80UD tanks in Russian Land Forces ending their service.

Damian

T-80UD tanks from Taman and Kantemirovskaya Divisions (currently Brigades) are ending their service:

Hull will be scrapped and turrets repaired, then placed in modernzied T-80BV hulls, such vehicles will be designated T-80UE-1 (Object 219AS), one seen below:

More in these links:

Google TBumacz

Google TBumacz

Damian

Doubtfull, sooner Pakistan will buy Ukrainian BM Oplot (T-84M) than T-80UE-1.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
what about Pakistani T 80 ud, are they coming to end of their life?

Damian

No. You see, in Soviet Union, T-80, T-80B, T-80BV and T-80U were manufactured in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Omsk, both cities and factories are currently in Russia, so there is still some supply base for these variants. However T-80UD was manufactured in Kharkiv Ukraine, so supply base is in Ukraine these days.

This is why because of lack of spare parts, T-80UD's in Russian service are retaired, while Ukraine is still hard working on T-84 series that are based on T-80UD.

Pakistan purchased it's T-80UD tanks from Ukraine, so I'am 100% sure that they have spare parts for them and can maintain them for long time.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
T-80 upgrades have been cancelled. Bulat was supposed to be the universal turret but T-72 is the only tank being modernised.

Damian

? I think You confused many things here.

Bulat is name for T-64B/BV upgrade to T-64BM standard, it was never intended as universal turret something, and it's solely Ukrainians effort, Russians are scrapping their T-64's because they do not have proper logistic base for them, that logistic base was left in Ukrainie after the fall of Soviet Union.

T-80 upgrades were not cancelled, they are upgraded but in less extensive way.

Because the only factory that left in Russia is UVZ, producer of T-72/T-90 series, the T-72's are seen as backbone of army. However only T-72B variants see upgrades.

Original T-90's are mostly intended for training, and many of them are in very bad shape, T-90A's are in good shape and are used in regular service as most advanced tanks.

However T-90A have less and less in common with old T-72's, in fact some design solutions, like new welded turret, were taken from prototype known as Object 187, a highly advanced vehicle, that unfortunetly due to being more advanced, lost competition with Object 188, that becaome the original T-90.

Blackwater

No. You see, in Soviet Union, T-80, T-80B, T-80BV and T-80U were manufactured in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Omsk, both cities and factories are currently in Russia, so there is still some supply base for these variants. However T-80UD was manufactured in Kharkiv Ukraine, so supply base is in Ukraine these days.

This is why because of lack of spare parts, T-80UD's in Russian service are retaired, while Ukraine is still hard working on T-84 series that are based on T-80UD.

Pakistan purchased it's T-80UD tanks from Ukraine, so I'am 100% sure that they have spare parts for them and can maintain them for long time.
No worries for spare parts untill china is alive.All pak has to do, give one tank to china, they will copy all parts. no worries

Damian

As far as I know, Ukrainians sold to China their 6TD Diesels, that are also used in T-80UD.

But if PRC is capable to copy the full tank? I highly doubt that, Russia somewhere in the 80's, maybe 90's sold for evalution (or only send there?) T-72 and T-80 tanks, but PRC did not copy them, just used some ideas from T-72 design, and designed it's own ZTZ-99 series, that are not very sucesfull design in many points (for example armor protection).

Blackwater

As far as I know, Ukrainians sold to China their 6TD Diesels, that are also used in T-80UD.

But if PRC is capable to copy the full tank? I highly doubt that, Russia somewhere in the 80's, maybe 90's sold for evalution (or only send there?) T-72 and T-80 tanks, but PRC did not copy them, just used some ideas from T-72 design, and designed it's own ZTZ-99 series, that are not very sucesfull design in many points (for example armor protection).
china can and has copied everything it gets. List is very long my friend, see their latest planes J10,11,13,14,15, babur cruise missle all are copies, list goes onnnnnnn

Damian

Still they didn't made copy of any Soviet, Russian or Ukrainian tank... BTW Chinese tried to sold Peru VT-1A tanks with 6TD engines without permission of Ukraine, Ukrainians were outraged, and blocked Chinese from solding tanks with their engines.

militarysta

Not Burlat... Burlak.
Burlak is dead now.

There was serious problems whit "balancing" turret "Burlak", in fact new turret should be completed - it was to expensive, and breaking whole ammo storage indea in estern tanks. So it was canceled as I know.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Burlak was a universal turret upgrade to go on T-80 and T-72. Didn't fit on T-72 and T-80 was decided to scrap. so no purpose for it.

Damian

Burlak turret, perfectly fit on T-72, as on T-90 (that use same hull design), nobody knows if Burlak would fit T-80 series hull. Well, at least there is not even single known photograph from Burlka turret tests on T-80 hull.

Burlak turret desing is interesting, however also strange, it seems that composite armor array was reduced in it's volume (thickness), and protection rely's mostly on explosive reactive armor modules.

militarysta

Burlak was a universal turret upgrade to go on T-80 and T-72. Didn't fit on T-72 and T-80 was decided to scrap. so no purpose for it.
Firstly Burlak was deeply mod.of standard T-xx turret whit addon - bustle autoloader. Most important was low price.
And as I wrote - it was faild.
This about you are writing is "second" idea - universal turret. And this idea faild for price problem.

Damian

Hmmm, as far as I know this is Burlak turret:

And this is another concept of universal turret, based on Object 640 prototype tank turret:

It starts to be a bit confusing... as allways in case of tanks from Russia. ;)

Object 640 prototype (in last known most advanced configuration)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles