T-14 Armata

Blood+

Country flag
the m1a2S is based off the m1a2SEP so i am assuming that is 3rd generation depleted uranium armour and the other sep versions are urban kits and some sensors/optics for upgrades
No, Iraqi and Saudi Abrams do not come with the depleted Uranium Armor package (known colloquially as HAP or Heavy Armor Package, has got multiple iterations as well).
Heck, even the Australian ones do not have that armor but they have been provided with another version that reportedly has near identical protection levels to the U variants.

what is the armour protection on that vs RHA heat or kinetic rounds?
I do not know about the value exact RHA equivalent terms but off the top of my mind, they had achieved ~80-85% reduction in the depth of penetration by HEAT jets and around 35% against KE projectiles, according to research documents released by the DRDO. I've got those saved up somewhere, will try to find them. Oh, by the way, the Indian made T-90S come with a different composit armor than the one in the original Russian T-90A.
relikt is also better than kontakt
Of course it is and it is better than the Indian-made heavy ERA as well, it's a whole generation ahead after all.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
what is the armour protection on that vs RHA heat or kinetic rounds? relikt is also better than kontakt
The material specs of Kanchan composites remain a secret. The formula has changed in the last 30 years and it's still in active development. Even the exact number of layers is not known.

Blood+

Country flag
The material specs of Kanchan composites remain a secret. The formula has changed in the last 30 years and it's still in active development. Even the exact number of layers is not known.
He meant the ERA. By the way, we have a somewhat clearish understanding of what the Kanchan array may look like from the available literature.

Last edited:

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
What actual paradigm did it shift, mind telling us?? That hunk of junk comes with a protection level of a mere STANAG 4569 level II III which means it can't even resist .50 cal AP rounds on the frontal arc!! Shit's a fucking death trap!! So, yeah, if you meant a paradigm shifted in that particular direction, then you were definitely correct.
Add on armors layer it to stanag level 4 seems fine and dandy with the aps, it seems to be a paradign smift compared to abhyas and that shitty ass ofb ficv mate and god knows if that stanag 2 is changng or not, and adding aps does do justice to a thin armor but i can see where you're coming from

Blood+

Country flag
Add on armors layer it to stanag level 4 seems fine and dandy with the aps, it seems to be a paradign smift compared to abhyas and that shitty ass ofb ficv mate and god knows if that stanag 2 is changng or not, and adding aps does do justice to a thin armor but i can see where you're coming from
APS won't do jack against an auto-cannon though and even level IV for front is rather weak by today's standards. It's all because of that stupid 25 ton weight-cap imposed by the army.

Delta Squad

Country flag
APS won't do jack against an auto-cannon though and even level IV for front is rather weak by today's standards. It's all because of that stupid 25 ton weight-cap imposed by the army.
Yeah, but most probably light tank will outgun the autocannon with the main gun. I mean, what exactly are the tanks target?? APC, other light tank, FICV, anti armour anti personnel?? A good situational awareness is the main thing that it needs.... Army most probably going for that first look first kill thing ..

Blood+

Country flag
Yeah, but most probably light tank will outgun the autocannon with the main gun. I mean, what exactly are the tanks target?? APC, other light tank, FICV, anti armour anti personnel?? A good situational awareness is the main thing that it needs.... Army most probably going for that first look first kill thing ..
Well, there are 40mm APFSDS rounds that can pen 200mm at 1 km and those things will go through the front of this vehicle at any range like a hot knife through butter. In general, I agree you make good points but dude, even the Bradley had better front protection and that wasn't even a light tank!!

Blood+

Country flag
This won't be a problem I guess. The document says it will have front protection equivalent to 600 mm RHA.View attachment 184574
Wishful thinking. That's what happens when your officer corps is plagued with near total lack of scientific and technical acumen. And if they do indeed follow through with this set of parameters, then the DRDO light tank will most certainly fail the user trials.
600mm RHAe protection within 27.5 metric tons (considering they were at least considerate enough to leave a wiggle room of 10%) maximum weight cap!! Somebody'd been reading too many sci-fi novels it'd appear. Someone kindly inform these guys that Adamantium is not yet a thing.
And 500 mm pen at 60-degree??!! Even the M829A3 can not do that!!

PS - About the 500 mm pen, it could have been a case of stupid wording. They probably meant a 500mm LoS pen, which would mean a 250mm plate at 60 degrees, which is reasonable.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles