Suvo Mahalaya

Pintu

Suvo Mahalaya

Today the 18th September , being the auspicious day of Mahalaya , today the start of Devi Paksha (Time of Goddess) and end of Pitri Paksha (The Time of Ancestors ) as it is believed that after 15 days , those who left the world forever , the paternal forefathers, return to Heaven from where they have descended to earth for 15 days to remain with their beloved family . Pitri Tarpans were done by the male Ancestors , such as Son does his Tarpan for his Late Father or Grand Father , Great Grand Father, Uncle , his late mother, Late Grand Mother , Late Great Grand Mother and if possible in memory of the earliest of the 14th Generation just before his generation if he lost his parents , in the very early morning with just glimpse of sun. It is very Familiar sight in Bengal , male members of families taking deep in Ganges and doing Tarpans in memory of them whom he loves most , missed them most, his forefathers , uttering the hymns , The Aged Person who can not go to Ganges and in non availability of Ganges , can do Tarpans being conducted by Purohit.

Today the start of Devi Paksha (Time of Goddess) marking the time Devi Durga to visit her Home , the Mother Earth , thus beginning for preparation one of the most popular Festival 'Durga Puja' just beginning 7 days after today, the Festival of Joys , the day marked by the airing of 'Mahisasurmardini' by All India Radio, Kolkata Stations, at 4 AM in the Morning , as it is going uninterrupted over last 70 years. 39 Years of airing the Programme Recorded, after last live performance was done in 1970, with Legends Like Pankaj Kumar Mullick and narration by Late Birendra Krishna Bhadra, in each home , the radio switched on, at 4 AM.

Hope The Season marked beginning with Suvo Mahalaya , may bring Happiness to everybody, in the mother earth, saning religion , caste , creed, gender, region , and prosperity to everybody, and smile everybody's face, may the sorrow drift away forever, and peace to every body.

With Best Wishes for Mahalaya for everybody in the forum

Warm Regards

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Shubho Mahalaya to all members.

(Alas its not so shubh for me as I'm suffering from high fever :()

Pintu

Shubho Mahalaya to all members.

(Alas its not so shubh for me as I'm suffering from high fever :()
It is sad to know that you are ill, but lets hope You will recover soon, to enjoy the days of great festival coming.

Regards

Pintu

Thanks NSG :) , it will be great , if you please kindly let us know , how People in Orissa mark the auspicious day of Mahalaya, if the Bengali speaking people perform the rituals , then how do they perform there ?

Regards

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
Even today,i woke up at 4:30,to watch mahalaya on tv.....i enjoy those programmes very much.....luv to see my favourite super-hero in action.....but mahisasur's moustache was a bit smaller this year!!!.....anyways subho mahalaya to all.,....Ma aschen.....HURRAYYYY

Pintu

Thanks Arjak, however joy of Mahalaya is not completed if we don't discuss about Mohisasur Mardini

Here is the information about the programme Mohisasur Mardini............

Mahalaya: Invoking the Mother Goddess

Mahalaya: Invoking the Mother Goddess

A Once-a-Year Popular Radio Program

From By Soma Das, for About.com

Come September, and Hindus all over the world get enthused in festive fervor. Come “Mahalaya” and Bengalis get busy to complete the final preparations for their greatest festival - Durga Puja.

What's Mahalaya?
Mahalaya is an auspicious occasion observed seven days before the Durga Puja, and heralds the advent of Durga, the goddess of supreme power. It's a kind of invocation or invitation to the mother goddess to descend on earth - "Jago Tumi Jago". This is done through the chanting of mantras and singing devotional songs.

Why's Mahalaya So Special?
Since the early 1930s, Mahalaya has come to associate itself with an early morning radio program called “Mahisasura Mardini” or “The Annihilation of the Demon.” This All India Radio (AIR) program is a beautiful audio montage of recitation from the scriptural verses of “Chandi Kavya”, Bengali devotional songs, classical music and a dash of acoustic melodrama. The program has also been translated into Hindi set to similar orchestration and is broadcast at the same time for a pan-Indian audience.

This program has almost become synonymous with Mahalaya. For nearly six decades now, the whole of Bengal rises up in the chilly pre dawn hours, 4 am to be precise, of the Mahalaya day to tune in to the “Mahisasura Mardini” broadcast.

The Magic of Birendra Krishna Bhadra
One man who'll always be remembered for making Mahalaya memorable to one and all is Birendra Krishna Bhadra, the magical voice behind the “Mahisasura Mardini.” The legendary narrator recites the holy verses and tells the story of the descent of Durga to earth, in his inimitable style.

Bhadra has long passed away, but his recorded voice still forms the core of the Mahalaya program. In a sonorous, reverberating voice Birendra Bhadra renders the Mahalaya recital for two thrilling hours, mesmerizing every household with the divine aura of his narration, as the Bengalis submerge their souls in quiet moments of prayer.

A Landmark Composition
“Mahisasura Mardini” is a remarkable piece of audio drama matchless in Indian culture. Though the theme is mythical and the mantras Vedic, this program is a landmark composition. It's scripted by Bani Kumar, and narrated by Bhadra. The enchanting music is composed by none other than the immortal Pankaj Mullick, and the songs are rendered by famous singers of yesteryears, including Hemant Kumar and Arati Mukherjee.

As the recital begins, the serene morning air resonates with the long drawn sound of the sacred conch shell, immediately followed by a chorus of invocation, melodiously setting the stage for the recitation of the Chandi Mantra.

The Story of “Mahisasura Mardini”
The story element is captivating. It speaks of the increasing cruelty of the demon king Mahisasura against the gods. Unable to tolerate his tyranny the gods plead with Vishnu to annihilate the demon. The Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswara (Shiva) come together to create a powerful female form with ten arms - Goddess Durga or 'Mahamaya', the Mother of the Universe who embodies the primeval source of all power.

The gods then bestow upon this Supreme creation their individual blessings and weapons. Armed like a warrior, the goddess rides a lion to battle with the Mahisasura. After a fierce combat the 'Durgatinashini' is able to slay the 'Asura' king with her trident. Heaven and earth rejoice at her victory. Finally, the mantra narration ends with the refrain of mankind's supplication before this Supreme Power:

"Ya devi sarbabhuteshshu, sakti rupena sanksthita Namasteshwai Namasteshwai Namasteshwai namo namaha."
Regards

Antimony

Shubho Mahalaya

Forgot to tune in, will have to make do with a youtube recording I guess:(

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I was thinking why no one made this thread and was gonna make it, when I saw this! Thank you Pintuda! Suvo Mahalaya! :D

Pintu

Suvo Mahalaya Avi, I hope you are now fully recovered , hope the auspecious day of Mahalaya brings Prosperity , Happiness to you and best wishes for your future.

Regards

Pintu

I was thinking why no one made this thread and was gonna make it, when I saw this! Thank you Pintuda! Suvo Mahalaya! :D
Thanks Ahmedji, Mahalaya is now in depth of the hearts of all Bengali Speaking People, and over the 70 years , Mohisasur Mardini became part of our life, if we miss the program , we think we have lost something invaluable.

Hope the auspicious day of Mahalaya , bring happiness, prosperity to you and hope best for your future.

Regards

Pintu

Suvo Mahalaya, natarajan, best wishes for your future and may this day bring prosperity , happiness , joy to you.

Regards

Global Defence

New threads

Articles