Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released, clarifies Pakistan

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/14414257.cms

ISLAMABAD: After being on the death row for 20 years over bombing charges, Indian national Sarabjit Singh is being released with Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari today commuting his death sentence.

Zardari commuted Sarabjit's death sentence to life term which he has already completed having been in jail beyond 14 years. Therefore he is being released.

The 49-year-old Sarabjit, convicted and sentenced to death for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab in 1990 that killed 14 people has maintained his innocence and said that his was a case of "mistaken identity".

Zardari has directed authorities to release him if he has completed his prison term, official sources said.

Following the summary or official proposal issued by the presidency, law minister Farooq Naek today asked the interior ministry to take steps to "immediately" release Sarabjit as he had completed a life term, the sources told PTI.

Sarabjit could be released in the next few days after the interior ministry and the home department of Punjab complete necessary formalities, the sources said.

Sarabjit is currently being held at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore.

President Zardari's action came a little over a month after ailing Pakistani virologist Khalil Chishti, detained in Rajasthan for nearly two decades on the charge of involvement in a murder, was freed on the orders of India's Supreme Court so that he could meet his family in Karachi.

Sarabjit had sent a fresh clemency appeal to President Zardari last month after the release of Chishti.

The mercy petition included a document with the signatures of 100,000 Indians that urged Zardari to reciprocate the release of Chishti by India.

Two letters addressed to Zardari by the chief cleric of Delhi's Jama Masjid, Syed Ahmed Bukhari, and the caretaker of the shrine of Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti, Syed Muhammad Yamin Hashmi, were also attached to the petition.
Sarabjit has maintained that his was a case of mistaken identity, since even the FIR was not registered in his name.

"I have spent 22 years in prison for a crime I have not committed," he wrote in the petition.

Sarabjit's sister Dalbir Kaur too has contended that she has "vital evidence" which proves her brother's innocence.

Sarabjit was given the death sentence under Pakistan's Army Act. A mercy petition sent by him to the then army chief was rejected with a direction that it should be forwarded to the President.

Though Sarabjit was set to be hanged in 2008, Pakistani authorities put off his execution indefinitely after former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani intervened. His family has said he wandered across the border in an inebriated condition and was arrested by Pakistani authorities.

Reacting to the news of Sarabjit's pardon, human rights activist Ansar Burney, who has been campaigning for his release, said, "I think its great news for India, Pakistan and the family of Sarabjit. I would like to congratulate and I would also like to thank the President of Pakistan Mr Zardari.

"...It will create some more love, some more affection. It will be very good for the peace process between the two countries and the region. So its very good news. I'm very happy today that he will be with his family soon."

Tronic

It's good news for Sarbjit and his family who have waited too long for justice to be served. He just happened to be very unlucky of ending up on the Pakistani side during a late night stroll in his farms.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Is this a coincidence? We just got hands on Abu who has exposed Pakis.

Galaxy

Country flag

Islamabad: Hours after reports emerged that Pakistan was to free Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, the presidential spokesman tonight clarified that authorities had taken steps for the release of another Indian prisoner named Surjeet Singh who has been jailed for three decades.

"I think there is some confusion. First, it is not a case of pardon. More importantly, it is not Sarabjit. It is Surjeet Singh, son of Sucha Singh. His death sentence was commuted in 1989 by President (Ghulam) Ishaq (Khan) on the advice of (then premier) Benazir Bhutto," presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar told PTI.

Law Minister Farooq Naek today conveyed to the Interior Ministry that Surjeet Singh had completed his life term in jail and ought to be released and sent back to India, Mr Babar said.

"Keeping him in jail any longer will be illegal confinement," he added.

Any references to President Asif Ali Zardari in the entire matter were "out of context", the presidential spokesman said.

Surjeet Singh, currently being held in Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore, has been in Pakistani captivity for over 30 years. He was captured near the border with India on charges of spying during the era of military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.

Earlier in the day, Pakistani news channels had reported that President Zardari had converted Sarabjit Singh's death sentence to life imprisonment and directed authorities to release him if he had completed his prison term.

Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released, clarifies Pakistan | NDTV.com

I am in complete shock, dont know what to do: Dalbir Kaur, Sarabjit's sister on reports that Surjeet not Sarabjit will be released. (ANI News)

What a shameless Country, Pak is ? :mad:

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Islamabad: Hours after reports emerged that Pakistan was to free Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, the presidential spokesman tonight clarified that authorities had taken steps for the release of another Indian prisoner named Surjeet Singh who has been jailed for three decades.

"I think there is some confusion. First, it is not a case of pardon. More importantly, it is not Sarabjit. It is Surjeet Singh, son of Sucha Singh. His death sentence was commuted in 1989 by President (Ghulam) Ishaq (Khan) on the advice of (then premier) Benazir Bhutto," presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar told PTI.

Law Minister Farooq Naek today conveyed to the Interior Ministry that Surjeet Singh had completed his life term in jail and ought to be released and sent back to India, Mr Babar said.

"Keeping him in jail any longer will be illegal confinement," he added.

Any references to President Asif Ali Zardari in the entire matter were "out of context", the presidential spokesman said.

Surjeet Singh, currently being held in Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore, has been in Pakistani captivity for over 30 years. He was captured near the border with India on charges of spying during the era of military ruler Zia-ul-Haq.

Earlier in the day, Pakistani news channels had reported that President Zardari had converted Sarabjit Singh's death sentence to life imprisonment and directed authorities to release him if he had completed his prison term.

Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released, clarifies Pakistan | NDTV.com

I am in complete shock, dont know what to do: Dalbir Kaur, Sarabjit's sister on reports that Surjeet not Sarabjit will be released. (ANI News)

What a shameless Country, Pak is ? :mad:
If Pakis dont to shameless things then they would not be Pakis.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Even if one day Pakistan does officially announce Sarabjit's repatriation, wait till he crosses over the border, the emotions have been whipped up to such extents around Sarabjit that they can do a U turn at the very last moment.

Unfortunately a section of the media was trying to be all jubilant, trying to give a clean chit to Sarabjit even before he had crossed over, and all these things are not bound to go down well with the enemy.

There needs to be outright restraint shown in such cases, and even if Sarabjit was to be repatriated, seriously no need to be jubliant since there are hundreds of Indians, if not more, in Pakistani jails languishing for decades together.

Anyways, Sarabjit is not the start and end of this issue and at least someone gets to be free at last. Welcome home Mr. Surjeet SIngh. Hope he gets the message during his debriefing, the administration can look after his issues and he doesn't give any unnecessary media bites, too many lives/emotions/relations at stake here still.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
If Pakis dont to shameless things then they would not be Pakis.
Truely, truely. That is why they do not deserve even a status of a state or nation . only a bunch of Jihadies...

lcatejas

I don't know why India ...i could say UPA dieing to put his neck in the gutter ....whole world know what is pak...Gutter :mad:

Blackwater

Media says According to Ansar Burni the famous pak social activist "its shocking, govt bends under pressure from jamaat -ul- dawa".

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pakistan cannot be taken at face value, Manmohan!

It is time you become Macmohan of the Hindi films!

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
On HT the spokesperson of paki PM said Sarabjit's mercy petition has been accepted and will be repatriated where as in Surjit's case he has completed his Jail term so why the fuk he would be granted mercy ... :frusty:

beghairat paki, playing with the emotions of Indians and lets see what GoI will do now .. :rolleyes:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I went to Pakistan to spy, confesses Surjeet Singh

I went to Pakistan to spy, confesses Surjeet Singh
LAHORE: Speaking to Indian media just minutes after he crossed the Wagah Border into India, Surjeet Singh confessed to his offense, saying that he went to Pakistan for spying, Express News reported on Thursday.

After the Ministry of Law and Justice approved his release on Tuesday, life sentence prisoner Surjeet Singh crossed the Wagah Border, and after 27 years, stepped on his native soil just a few minutes prior to this confession of being guilty.

Family and friends rushed to greet Sigh as he reached India.

Speaking to the media on the Pakistani side of the Wagah Border, Singh, now over 60 years old, said that both sides should release prisoners.

"India should release Pakistani prisoners and Pakistan should release Indian prisoners, that is all I want to say," he said in Punjabi.

Upon being asked as to whether he would ever come back to Pakistan, he said, "I don't want to come back to Pakistan."

When asked whether he did not want to come back because he did not like the country, Singh dispelled the notion saying he actually did like the country but said that was not the reason.

"I was accused of being a spy," he said. "If I come back, agencies will have doubts that I am here to spy again, that is why I will not come back."

He said that he was grateful for the way Pakistanis treated him.

Waiting on the other side of the border, in anticipation of his father's return, Singh's son said that he wished Sarabjeet was being released too.

"Both of them coming back together would be even better," he said. "Sarabjeet's family would also be as happy as we are."

When asked what the first thing the family would do after his father's return, he said, "We will go straight to Harmandir Sahib (the Golden Temple) and pay our respects."

"After that, we will go home and celebrate," he added.

Singh was arrested by Pakistani police on charges of spying during former President Ziaul Haq's regime and was awarded the death sentence by a court in 1985.

Later in 1989, his punishment was commuted to life imprisonment by former president Ghulam Ishaq Khan as part of a general order to commute all death sentences awarded during the military regime.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually before Pakistan clarified who was to be released, then should have first clarified as to who is running the Govt!

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sarabjit Singh is a terrorist: Surjeet

Sarabjit Singh is a terrorist: Surjeet singh

NEW DELHI: Recently released Indian spy Surjeet Singh said Friday that Sarabjit Singh is a terrorist and terrorists are neither released by India nor Pakistan, Geo News reported.

Surjeet Singh who was released on Thursday from the Kot Lakhpat jail admitted to spying for RAW upon his arrival in India.

Fiddae village in Ferozepur district burst into celebrations as Surjeet arrived home to be with his family and friends after 31 years in jail in Pakistan.

His relatives, friends and villagers remained busy all through the day to prepare for celebrations upon his arrival.

Surjeet Singh visited the Golden Temple and told that he kept on praying for the freedom that he got after decades.

He told that all Indian prisoners are kept well in Pakistani jails but Sarabjit Singh's release is a complicated matter.

On Tuesday, media reports claimed that the government had ordered the release of Sarabjit Singh, however, it was clarified by the presidential spokesman who said that it was Surjeet and not Sarabjit who was being released.

Sarabjit Singh is currently imprisoned in Kot Lakhpat Jail and was convicted of his role in the 1990 bombings in Lahore and Multan.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles