Sunil Chetri in Major league............

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Sunil Chetri seals Major League Soccer deal

Mihir Vasavda / DNA
Thursday, March 25, 2010 0:09 IST

Mumbai: It’s official. Sunil Chetri has become the third Indian footballer to join a foreign league after the diminutive striker’s deal with USA’s Major League Soccer (MLS) side Kansas City Wizards Chetri left for the US on Tuesday and an official announcement by the club is expected to be made on Thursday following medical and visa formalities. It is rumoured that the deal would be for three to four years.
The amount of the deal has not been made public yet. The 25-year-old secured a release from Dempo, the current I-League leaders, earlier this month.
He has scored 16 goals for the national team in 35 appearances. After Mohammed Salim (Celtic) and Baichung Bhutia (Bury FC), he is the third Indian to play abroad.
Wizards’ chief coach Peter Vermes said he was happy with Chetri’s technical abilities. “One thing we really like about him is that he’s a crafty player. Technically he is very sharp and has good attacking tendencies,” Vermes said.
India coach Bob Houghton, too, expressed his happiness. He, however, felt that Chetri playing in Europe would have been even better.
“Had he obtained the work permit then he could have been playing in Europe. I would have liked him to play in Europe as the standard there is better,” Houghton said. “But this is a great move for Sunil. I hope it inspires more players to play abroad.”
“We will be monitoring his progress closely as he is a vital member of the national side. I am also surprised why Bhutia didn’t play in Europe as he is highly rated there,” he said.
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sunil-chetri-seals-major-league-soccer-deal_1363057

indian_sukhoi

Did had the luck to have a picture with him, when he visited Hyderabad for the AFC Cup.

The Article is wrong, Actually the Indian Captain Baichung Bhutia who is the first one to join a Foreign league outside India. Anyway, Iam sure gonna buy FIFA11 game for the sake of him.

Cheers to Football!!

Blitz

Founding Member
yes baichung was the first and the inspiration behind sunil anyway soccer will be a great buzz in india in the next 2 decades if it isnt still

indian_sukhoi

Blitz, I hate to say this but it will take more than 2 decades to see Football rise in India.

We dont have the resources,infrastructure and talent to compete against others. For any country to excel in the international football scenario, the first basic requirement is the infrastructure.

Iam a die hard follower of Football. It is a shame that we dont have a single world class stadium or a football training center. They are only bunch of Football grounds in my City(Hyderabad), even those are not perfectly maintained.

mayfair

Blitz, I hate to say this but it will take more than 2 decades to see Football rise in India.

We dont have the resources,infrastructure and talent to compete against others. For any country to excel in the international football scenario, the first basic requirement is the infrastructure.

Iam a die hard follower of Football. It is a shame that we dont have a single world class stadium or a football training center. They are only bunch of Football grounds in my City(Hyderabad), even those are not perfectly maintained.
Also a desire and ability to nurture native talent, unlike the Gooners..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles