Sukhoi Su 30MKI

Shekhar Singh

Country flag
I already mentioned the increase in cost giving Rafale as example but how costly will be components & overall product depends on governance model of a country. Our country is not fully capitalist & privatised. And RCS reduction in 5th gen heavily relies also on customized composite, not just RAM, shaping, EW, etc. Composite is not some fixed composition material available globally. Different country research & come up with different % of materials in it. Some composite may offer more weight reduction, some offer more RCS reduction, some more strength. The ratio of & type of materials matter a lot just like in alloys. Different composites are used on different areas of airframe.
I think newer blocks of F-15,16,18 are using composite which also increase life of airframe. We should compare with better things & survivability bcoz a pilot's life is on the line. And to reduce human loss only UCAVs are being researched.
It's not that easy. Different parts have different weights and changing the existing with new parts will change center of gravity two. It's a lengthy process but if it's done and total weight by 10% and some RCS get reduced then requirement for engine change will be eliminated and we get the desired TWR with same Engine.

Bhartiya Sainik

Country flag
It's not that easy. Different parts have different weights and changing the existing with new parts will change center of gravity two. It's a lengthy process but if it's done and total weight by 10% and some RCS get reduced then requirement for engine change will be eliminated and we get the desired TWR with same Engine.
Nothing is easy in engineering but somewhere we have to begin, it adds to valuable experience & confidence. Center of gravity can be adjusted by S/w controlled trimming on control surfaces. 10% weight reduction is a big thing. That's how perhaps MiG-29 transformed into MiG-35 & so did other newer blocks of western legacy jets. Atleast we can make 1 or 2 TD jets & then see how much feasible it is further. That's how the Chinese also experimented. Experience & confidence are something unparallel. Otherwise a huge jet like MKI is a dead end & lesson teacher that among best jets of 1 gen can become among worst jets with time & tech advancement. Ukariane crisis is already giving indications, rest time will tell soon.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag

Angel of War

Country flag
There was an article published in July of 2020 which had stated that Indian Navy and Indian Airforce had put forward a combined Requirement for 500 such bombs.
Only 500 is their requirement ? Then the actual requirement must be of 1,000 . Defence forces always have a habit of understating their requirements .

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Only 500 is their requirement ? Then the actual requirement must be of 1,000 . Defence forces always have a habit of understating their requirements .
This was published by IDRW. This was the only source which I found on the internet which stated a Requirement for SAAW, no other source has given any mention about it.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
There was an article published in July of 2020 which had stated that Indian Navy and Indian Airforce had put forward a combined Requirement for 500 SAAW bombs.

SOURCE :
This was published by IDRW. This was the only source which I found on the internet which stated a Requirement for SAAW, no other source has given any mention about it.
Don’t know how many times it must be told, IDRW is not an authoritative source, stop treating it as one.🤦🏼‍♂️

Megalomaniac

Country flag
Three SU 30MKI can wipe out an entire enemy armoured regiment
IMO SU-30 MKI can carry quad racks at 8 stations, viz., 6 x pylons under wing and 2 x pylon under-engine nacelles. 4 SAAWs per stations equal to 32 total. That way, I think this fighter can carry like the following configuration.

MKI Beast configuration (Air to Ground) [SAAW Specific configuration]
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
1. 2 x wing-tip rails = 2 Astra Mk.2s (total 350 kg)

2. 6 x pylons under wing and 2 x pylon under-engine nacelles = 32 SAAWs (total 4,000 kg)

3. 1 x pylons in the arch between the engines = 1 Brahmos-A (2,500 kg)

Thus, flying carrying a weapon payload of 6,850 kg which is well within its maximum payload capacity of 8130 kg.

Last edited:

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Hey folks!
Alpha defense on its twitter handle said that work has initiated for advanced ew suite for mkis
I have a doubt is it a part of Super sukhoi program or is it separate program for small amount of aircrafts to convert them into growler operations
If anyone can please clear it

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
IMO SU-30 MKI can carry quad racks at 8 stations, viz., 6 x pylons under wing and 2 x pylon under-engine nacelles. 4 SAAWs per stations equal to 32 total. That way, I think this fighter can carry like the following configuration.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. 6 x pylons under wing and 2 x pylon under-engine nacelles = 32 SAAWs (total 4,000 kg)

Thus, flying carrying a weapon payload of 6,850 kg which is well within its maximum payload capacity of 8130 kg.
What kind of mission would necessitate carrying a BrahMos-A with 32 SAAW?
Hey folks!
Alpha defense on its twitter handle said that work has initiated for advanced ew suite for mkis
I have a doubt is it a part of Super sukhoi program or is it separate program for small amount of aircrafts to convert them into growler operations
Most likely talking about DRDO EW pods based on AESA tech? But that isn't specific to Su-30MKI alone. Then there is the recent Radio upgrade where the HAL radio has finally been replaced by the Israeli B-NET SDR built in India. But that again is not specific to the Su-30MKI alone, its fleet-wide.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What kind of mission would necessitate carrying a BrahMos-A with 32 SAAW?

Most likely talking about DRDO EW pods based on AESA tech? But that isn't specific to Su-30MKI alone. Then there is the recent Radio upgrade where the HAL radio has finally been replaced by the Israeli B-NET SDR built in India. But that again is not specific to the Su-30MKI alone, its fleet-wide.
So u mean to say that this ew development is for mostly all aircrafts of iaf and not a part of super sukhoi

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Hey folks!
I have be told its Scorpius - SJ (ELL-8251SB). This EW pods are being procured in response to PAF and PLAAF induction of AESA Seeker based BVRAAM (PL-15).

Currently no EW system in our arsenal in very effective against PL-15.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Currently no DRDO EW pods based on AESA technology are available. I believe this project is under development.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member

Su-30 MKI can carry maximum of 20 SAAW.

You completely missed SPJ pods as Su-30 MKI doesn't field integrated SPJ.

You also missed Litening targeting pod which will be absolutely needed for Air to Ground Operation due to lack of internal EOTS.

Adding Brahmos to MKI will remove 4 under engine racks of SAAW however I don't see a mission profile for Brahmos and SAAW together. Both weapons have different uses.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles