Submarines of the world

pyromaniac

Founding Member
I made a list of all the Latest SSBN’s and also put in a brief “synopsis” of their capabilities and size so as to help us better compare India’s new submarine with the Established players. This is just a brief list I made in a couple of hours, I will look to expand it more in the near future and delve into more technical aspects. In particular I would like to talk more about the different types of reactors and also do a comparison of the different types of SLBM’s that are present on these boats.

Ohio class is the 6th Generation nuclear powered SSBN for the United States navy and is the 2nd largest submarine ever built after the Russian Typhoon class.

· Operational on 11 November 1981
· Displaces 16,764 Tons Surfaced and 18,750 Tons Submerged, Depth of 1000ft
· 170 meter Length with a 13meter Beam
· Powered by 1 S8G reactor (Generation II Pressurized Water Reactor), output Classified. Capable of 25+ knots submerged
· 24* UGM-133 Trident II (Capable of 12 MIRV; however due to treaty carry 4-5 warheads) with up to 12,000km range depending on Warhead (W88 – 475kt yield; W76- 100kt yield)

Vanguard class is the 2nd Generation nuclear powered SSBN for the English Navy

· Operational on 14 August 1993
· 17,560 Tons submerged,
· 149.9 m with a beam: 12.8 m and Draught: 12 m
· Powered by 1*PWR-2 Reactor (Generation II Pressurized Water Reactor), output Classified. Capable of about 25knots
· 16* UGM-133 Trident II (Believed to carry up to 128 missiles)

·
Borei Class is the 7th generation Nuclear powered SSBN for the Russian Navy ( 8th SSBN- Golf class was a Diesel-Electric powered SSBN)*

· Operational on 15th April 2007
· Displaces 14,720 Tons surfaced and 24,000 tons submerged
· 170 meter length, 13.5m beam with a 10m Draught
· Powered by 1*OK-650B reactor (Generation II Pressurized Water Reactor), Capable of 29knots
· 16* Bulava, NATO Designation- SS-NX-30 (6-10 MIRV) with a range of over 8000KM

Triomphant is the 2nd generation nuclear powered SSBN for French Navy.

· Operational on 21 March 1997
· Displaces 12,640 Ton surfaced and 14,335 Ton submerged
· 138 Meter in length, 12.5 meter Beam and 10.6m Draught
· Powered by K15 nuclear Reactor (Generation II Pressurized Water Reactor) producing 150MW capable of over 25knots
· 16* M45 SLBM (6 MIRV) with up to 6000km range

Type 94 is the second Generation of Chinese Nuclear powered SSBN* and is based on the Type 93 Nuclear powered attack Submarine

· Believed to become operational soon
· Displaces 8,000t Surfaced and 9,000tons submerged
· 133m Length
· Powered by unknown nuclear reactor, >58MW (Believed to be a generation II Pressurized Water Reactor), capable of 20+ knots
· 12*JL-2; NATO Designation – CCS-N-4Mod0 (3-4 MIRV) with a range of over 8000KM

Airhant is the 1st generation of nuclear powered SSBN for Indian Navy

· Believed to become operational around 2012-2014
· Displaces 6000Tons
· 110m Length, 10mBeam, 9m Draft
· Powered by a generation II Pressurized Water Reactor outputting 80MW, with a top speed of 24knots
· 12*K15, Sagarika with a range of 750KM – NO MIRV ::::::: 4* K-X, Agni III SLBM with a range of 5500 km- MIRV possible *

* Note: Soviet Navy heavily modified the Delta I class and the Yankee I class SSBN’s and I included them in my list. However with the exception of the Delta II and Yankee II class of submarines the Borei is the 6th Generation of SSBN/
5fth Generation of Nuclear Powered SSBN that has been designed ground up for the Russian navy

*Note: Type 96 Nuclear powered SSBN is already believed to be in development

*Agni-III variants to have MIRV capabilites.

Judging by the size of the Airhant it seems closer in size to a SSN as opposed to a SSBN. There have also been reports that it shares a lot of similarities of the Charlie-II class of submarines that was leased to India and also shares some similarities with the Akula class namely the towed array on the aft sail is like that of a Akula. With that said, the Airhant class is severely underpowered when comparing it to the existing SSBN’s in service, in fact the 80MW reactor is substantially smaller than the 190MW reactor on the Akula. Both the top speed and the displacement of the Airhant put it close to the Charlie-II submarines. What is worthy of note is that every country that has a SSBN in service originally conceived a SSN and then modified it to an SSBN. However that seems not to be the case with India.

zraver

Professional
The Borei Class does not have a working missile, the whole Bulava project may be scrapped soon.

You forgot the Typhoon, which with the Hotel class makes the Borei a 7th gen (9th if you count the SSB), .

Previous classes- France Redoubtable class, US- George Washington class, Ethan Allen class, Lafayette class, James Madison class, Benjamin Franklin class. UK-Resolution class USSR-Hotel (SSBN) and Golf and Zulu SSB classes.

ant80

I am confused what the definition of the generations in SSN/SSBN stand for. I looked it up and I can't figure it out. I am guessing that each advance in shipbuilding technology and reactor technology would be the next generation. Is that correct?

venom

DFI Technocrat
I am confused what the definition of the generations in SSN/SSBN stand for. I looked it up and I can't figure it out. I am guessing that each advance in shipbuilding technology and reactor technology would be the next generation. Is that correct?
It is based on the number of SSBN classes in the countries Inventory...

pyromaniac

Founding Member
The Borei Class does not have a working missile, the whole Bulava project may be scrapped soon.
Thats what I thought at first..then I did a little digging around...

Russia on Friday said it plans to stick with its troubled Bulava ballistic missile program despite another failed test last month, RIA Novosti reported (see GSN, July 24).

Russia Says "No Choice" But to Continue Bulava Missile Development

The Bulava, a submarine-launched ballistic missile that Moscow hopes will be a cornerstone of its nuclear arsenal for years to come, exploded less than 30 seconds into its most recent trial launch. It was the sixth failure in 11 tries and prompted the resignation of the head of the organization designing the weapon.

The cause of the latest failure remains under investigation. It also remains to be seen whether the incident constitutes a major blow to the development of the nation's next-generation weapon-delivery system.

"Everything depends on the conclusions reached by an investigative commission," said Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin. Those conclusions could come next week, he said.

Testing of the missile could continue later this month, according to RIA Novosti.

Some critics in government and the private defense sector have lobbied to mothball the Bulava and to emphasize the already-deployed, submarine-launched Sineva missile, which can be armed with between four and 10 nuclear warheads and fly up to 7,100 miles.

However, Popovkin said that it is too late to abandon the Bulava, as Russia is already producing submarines designed to carry the missile.

"We have no choice," he said. "We already have one [Borei-class] submarine, and have laid down more, so to start a new [research and development] project would be unrealistic."

Popovkin pointed out that developing a new missile costs as much as $1 billion, on top of $2 billion for a new submarine.

"These are serious expenses," he said. "But the most important thing is the years (spent on development), because we urgently need to change our sea-based strategic delivery vehicles"

NTI: Global Security Newswire - Russia Says "No Choice" But to Continue Bulava Missile Development

J

John

The Trident SLBMs remain the fastest and deadliest missiles in the world.

zraver

Professional
The Trident SLBMs remain the fastest and deadliest missiles in the world.

They are even faster and deadlier than many people think. Since the US des not shelter its SSBN's like Russia does but sends them into harmsway. With the exception of Russia (500 mile limit) a US SSBN could be just a hundred of so miles off shore and set up to do a sub orbital slant shot that would give a nations command and control less than 5 minutes to react before the onset of Oblivion.

venom

DFI Technocrat
Russia shortlisted for submarine contract with Indonesia

JAKARTA, August 11 (RIA Novosti) - Russia has been shortlisted for a $700 million contract to deliver two submarines to Indonesia, the Indonesian Navy commander said on Tuesday.

"Of the four bidders for the submarines, Russia and South Korea have reached the final round, passing France and Germany," Admiral Tedjo Edhy Purdijatno said.

Russia's bid is the Project 636 diesel-electric submarine (export agent Rosoboronexport) while South Korea's is the U-209 sub manufactured by Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering under German license.

"One of the principal conditions [of the contract] is, among other things, the transfer of technology," Purdijatno said.

The successful bidder is expected to be named by the end of August.

The Indonesian defense minister has said the submarines are to be delivered in 2011.

Russia shortlisted for submarine contract with Indonesia | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

J

John

They are even faster and deadlier than many people think. Since the US des not shelter its SSBN's like Russia does but sends them into harmsway. With the exception of Russia (500 mile limit) a US SSBN could be just a hundred of so miles off shore and set up to do a sub orbital slant shot that would give a nations command and control less than 5 minutes to react before the onset of Oblivion.
The Trident has a terminal top speed of mach 30+, this makes it so unstoppable.

Jagdpanther

Airhant is the 1st generation of nuclear powered SSBN for Indian Navy

· Believed to become operational around 2012-2014
· Displaces 6000Tons
· Powered by a generation II Pressurized Water Reactor outputting 80MW, with a top speed of 24knots
· 12*K15, Sagarika with a range of 750KM – NO MIRV ::::::: 4* K-X, Agni III SLBM with a range of 5500 km- MIRV possible *

Judging by the size of the Airhant it seems closer in size to a SSN as opposed to a SSBN. There have also been reports that it shares a lot of similarities of the Charlie-II class of submarines that was leased to India and also shares some similarities with the Akula class namely the towed array on the aft sail is like that of a Akula. With that said, the Airhant class is severely underpowered when comparing it to the existing SSBN’s in service, in fact the 80MW reactor is substantially smaller than the 190MW reactor on the Akula. Both the top speed and the displacement of the Airhant put it close to the Charlie-II submarines. What is worthy of note is that every country that has a SSBN in service originally conceived a SSN and then modified it to an SSBN. However that seems not to be the case with India.

I'm wondering whether or not the Airhant sub will become the navy version of LCA or Arjun. India always like to bite more than they can chew.

shankarosky

Believed to become operational around 2012-2014
· Displaces 6000Tons

dispalcement my guess is 6500 ton surfaced -8500 ton submerged -9000 ton plus armed and submerged
speed max close to 40 knots

again we will only know for sure much later- but if you go through various staements made in the aftermath of launch -you will come to same conclussion

reactor output close to 190 mW thermal 45 MW energy to propel it at clsoe to 40 knots
similar to ok650 that powers the akula 2

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Believed to become operational around 2012-2014
· Displaces 6000Tons