Su -35 Trial Run Fails

chandrahass

Professional
Su-35 fighter model crashes, pilot catapults in Khabarovsk terr

27.04.2009, 05.28
ITAR-TASS

KHABAROVSK, April 27 (Itar-Tass) -- A model of the state-of-the-art fighter Su-35 crashed at the airfield of the Komsomolsk-on-Amur aviation production integrated works on Sunday, unofficial sources said on Monday.

The incident occurred during the run-up of the fighter. Before the takeoff the fighter could have collided with some obstacle and caught fire. The pilot managed to catapult and survived. The fighter skidded off the runway and fell apart.

The foresaid aviation production integrated works neither confirmed nor reject the fact of the crash. The officials still refrain from comments.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sad news, if LCA enters the service without any such incident it will be a unique feet. Almost 1100 test flights and no incident.

Sailor

Gee, a Russian aircraft has crashed in development. This is different.

The incident occurred during the run-up of the fighter. Before the takeoff the fighter could have collided with some obstacle and caught fire. The pilot managed to catapult and survived. The fighter skidded off the runway and fell apart.

LOL, in your dreams.

Su-47

The russians and the chinese usually dont reveal air crashes. At least this is an improvement.

It is common for fighters to have crashes during trials. There are still bugs to be sorted out. Even western fighters like Gripen experienced crashes before entering service.

Most fighters incur highest crash rates in the periods leading up to induction and the periods leading up to retirement.

Pintu

This is a sad news, but I think developmental works simply do not cease for that,

In my opinion though not only fighter even it is not uncommon for the normal modern aircrafts of any category crashes during its test flights, we can take example of our own Saras , HAL IJT, Airawaat (14 seater passenger plane, Intermediate Jet Trainer and AWACS respectively), but developmental works still continues.

As far as LCA concerns it till done an excellent job.

Regards

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Since the pilot is okay I am allowed to laugh my head off without being morally unjustified.

Anyone got any theories on the cause of the crash? It may be under development but the airframe and basic systems should be reasonably well established from the previous Su-35/30/27's. (I know things have changed but they are not fundamentally different.)

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
SC sir....FOD might be a cause...Hey the first T 10 prototype also crashed.

zraver

Professional
Since the pilot is okay I am allowed to laugh my head off without being morally unjustified.

Anyone got any theories on the cause of the crash? It may be under development but the airframe and basic systems should be reasonably well established from the previous Su-35/30/27's. (I know things have changed but they are not fundamentally different.)
It probably ate a bird.

Sailor

Hmmm, Aussies, Brits and American members are dry eyed. Unusual.

:greatbr: :usa: :australia:

prahladh

Respected Member
Talking about crash. What happened to SARAS project. Did it get put off because of the recent crash that took place.

P.S: I couldn't find a dedicated thread for SARAS or R&D in Civil Aviation or some sort. So I'm posting here

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Some news websites are speculating that it was a burst fuel pump...

VayuSena1

Professional
Actually from what I heard about it, the aircraft ran into an obstacle before lifting off and that is what cause it to stagger and thereby lead to this accident. There is a lot of speculation going on about it. Let us see what Sukhoi has to say about it. The article mentions this crash, also hinted that RAC will export Su-35 BM to India which gives away the fact that the article might not be entirely true. India as we all know has no intentions on 4.5 generation aircraft after the MRCA and Tejas deals.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
Su-35

I thought it had an engine failure and that cause the crash I'll see if I can still find the link.

These things happen I also think there are more Russian accidents that don't even get reported.

I find it surprising that only a small number of test aircraft are used for a type that's suppose to go into production in 2010/11? I interested in knowing anything about planned production. Should have started really not easy setting up a production line and having all the sub companies and contractors ready all at once. Never mind the skilled workers and the training that needed to go into that part of the equation.

Su-47

It probably ate a bird.
unlikely. if it is a bird hit, russians wouls have revealed it, since it wont be the aircraft's fault.

If a plane hits an obstacle before lift-off, chance of pilot catapaulting safely is very low. i think something went wrong with the aircraft itself. They dont want to reveal it coz it might cause concern amongst potential buyers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles