Stop backing terror in India: US to Pak

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
A US bill seeking to triple non-military aid to Pakistan to a massive $1.5 billion annually has asked Islamabad to stop supporting terror groups active in India, recognising that certain elements in its establishment, specially ISI, have aided and trained such organisations over the past few decades.

The Pakistan Enduring Assistance and Cooperation Enhancement (PEACE) Act, carrying bi-partisan support, has been introduced in the House of Representatives by Howard L Berman, Chairman of powerful House Foreign Affairs Committee. An identical bill is scheduled to be tabled in Senate soon.

The bill aimed at trippling the aid to Pakistan to $1.5 billion per annum for the next five years is part of the new Af-Pak policy of US President Barack Obama.

Unlike the Bush Administration wherein there was no accountability of the $10 billion given to Pakistan post 9/11 attacks, the new bill not only tends to make Islamabad accountable for the every penny spent, but also lists out do's and don'ts for the Islamabad government.

Noting that certain elements in Pakistani establishment, specially ISI, have supported, aided and trained organisations to carry out terrorist activities in India over the past few decades, the PEACE bill imposes condition on Pakistan not to "support any person or group that conducts violence, sabotage or other activities meant to instill fear or terror in India."

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20090089687

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
It will take more than mere bills to force Pakistan to stop terror in India. I have begun to think it will not be possible at all peacefully.

Its a sad conclusion but I think a showdown with Pakistan is inevitable.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
The US keeps saying it, but does Pakistan ever listen ???

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think Obama is getting into a quagmire thinking that it is a plain field. By giving aid to Pakistan he is actually asking to foment more trouble in India and Afghanistan. About time they recognize real intent of Pakistan on WOT and make amendments to their strategy.

johnee

It will take more than mere bills to force Pakistan to stop terror in India. I have begun to think it will not be possible at all peacefully.

Its a sad conclusion but I think a showdown with Pakistan is inevitable.
this is a truth that we all must accept.

as for unkil's bill, its just bluff. US knows very well how pak uses terror as a weapon against india. and US can stop it if it wants to. if it just stops rewarding ISI/PA by giving them military aid and brand new toys to use against india, then we know that US cares for india.

johnee

I think Obama is getting into a quagmire thinking that it is a plain field. By giving aid to Pakistan he is actually asking to foment more trouble in India and Afghanistan. About time they recognize real intent of Pakistan on WOT and make amendments to their strategy.
DD, do you seriously believe that obama is unaware about ISI's links with terror organisations that work in this region?

IMO, he is consciously trying to keep pak afloat so that it can be used as a counter balance to india.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
DD, do you seriously believe that obama is unaware about ISI's links with terror organisations that work in this region?

IMO, he is consciously trying to keep pak afloat so that it can be used as a counter balance to india.
Somehow I cannot reconcile these thoughts. What more Obama can do to use Pakistan as a counter balance than it is now already. Believe me, the AID to pakistan has nothing to do with India.

He is looking for a exit strategy in Afghanistan assuming that enough AID to Pakistan and its army will achieve his objectives by eliminating the talibans from their territory. We will have to see if those objectives will be achieved.

johnee

Somehow I cannot reconcile these thoughts. What more Obama can do to use Pakistan as a counter balance than it is now already. Believe me, the AID to pakistan has nothing to do with India.

He is looking for a exit strategy in Afghanistan assuming that enough AID to Pakistan and its army will achieve his objectives by eliminating the talibans from their territory. We will have to see if those objectives will be achieved.
yeah, I also think he is looking for an exit strategy in Astan. basically, leaving Astan under pak by declaring some face-saving win. and giving pak enough 'aid' and latest war gadgets, hoping that all these(terrorists, aid, gadgets) will be used on india thereby saving the rest of the world(including itself).

GokuInd

In my humble opinion this strategy will backfire. It was enforced by his predecessor to no avail. I rather guess Obama's afpak roadmap will end up in pampering major Pakistani institutions, i.e. the Pakistani Military establishment and the ISI again.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles