Standards for Defence Forum of India

I have created this thread so we could discuss and try to implement certain measure to keep the standard of this forum high.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
There are around 800 members on this forum...it will be impossible to maintain a very high standard. There are bound to be a few weak links every so often..the best we can do is tell the moderators to edit such threads. You also have to take into account that English is not the primary language for the majority of our members here...there is no need to be rude to posts which are....lacking in quality. Just a private PM will do

Articles from daily.pk, rupeenews.com, strategypage should not be posted on this forum. They are low quality, full of propaganda and without sources and facts.

This is what i think,
We should keep discussion regarding religion, god, conversion from person/s from one religion to other out of discussion as much as possible as they tend to decrease the standard of the forum. Believing a God or following a regligion is a persons own will and faith, we are no one to comment on that.
We should no encourage rumours.
We should post news that are creaditable.
The dicussion about celebrities also should be kept limited.
Other members views are most welcomed.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
This is what i think,
We should keep discussion regarding religion, god, conversion from person/s from one religion to other out of discussion as much as possible as they tend to decrease the standard of the forum. Believing a God or following a regligion is a persons own will and faith, we are no one to comment on that.
We should no encourage rumours.
We should post news that are creaditable.
The dicussion about celebrities also should be kept limited.
Other members views are most welcomed.
well..we have a different section for these topics..you enter at your own peril I suppose.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Dont get personal,and keep calm
This is the best advice I feel, if you follow this, then the rest will fall in place! Nothing like being calm and composed in the face of hostility :) I will try to follow it, as I too need this advice ;) God Speed.

ok here are the strict rules we might follow these are my personal views the team dfi has its own structure

1.members without proper intro thread ---- risk a good bye
2.members attacking other members personally and in particular military pros ----- sure good bye
3.members trying to hide identity and found creating multiple ids --- good bye forever
4.members trying to derail threads ------- locked in prison room
5.members posting 1 liners without research -------- polite warning
6. members repeatedly posting 1 liners without research --------- good bye till you can contribute something worthwhile
7.members misusing the shoutbox ---- bye bye
8. members quoting articles from unworthy sources ----- posting new threads taken away for sometime
9.members not listening to mods -------- bye bye for ever

all these are my personal views apart from the forum rules and dfi mods ban/warning criteria already listed

dfi is considering banning certain inappropriate websites which post unworthy news please do not quote such news as the link wont appear on your post and you will risk a warning for spreading propaganda.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
ok here are the strict rules we might follow these are my personal views the team dfi has its own structure

2.members attacking other members personally and in particular military pros ----- sure good bye
3.members trying to hide identity and found creating multiple ids --- good bye forever
6. members repeatedly posting 1 liners without research --------- good bye till you can contribute something worthwhile
8. members quoting articles from unworthy sources ----- posting new threads taken away for sometime

all these are my personal views apart from the forum rules and dfi mods ban/warning criteria already listed

dfi is considering banning certain inappropriate websites which post unworthy news please do not quote such news as the link wont appear on your post and you will risk a warning for spreading propaganda.

It would be great if you guys could make a list of websites that are banned..with Strategy page right on top of the list.

hmmm........while its a good effort to raise standards, that must not, IMO, be constraining the 'freedom' of posters. After all, DFI, since its inception has been following a very lenient approach towards its members. IMHO, we should continue with that tradition.

AV,
banning certain inapproriate websites is a good idea. :)

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
The members themselves should realize that this forum can be viewed by people all over the world.They should conduct themselves in a manner befitting representatives of our country.Insults,Flame wars,etc. will harm the image of the forum as well and result in it losing it's appeal.

Btw: Me calling someone gay is not an insult(Just to clear the air for new members).

Posting something in hindi or any other language should not be allowed, everything should be english.
eg- "saab bakwas hai"(every thing is bogus) should not be allowed. It really becomes hard to interpreat espically for non-indian member.
News article could be posted in non-English language with appopriate link. Provision or Attempt must be also made to post its english translation.

hmmm........while its a good effort to raise standards, that must not, IMO, be constraining the 'freedom' of posters. After all, DFI, since its inception has been following a very lenient approach towards its members. IMHO, we should continue with that tradition.

AV,
banning certain inapproriate websites is a good idea. :)
mate,

as the forum grows the moderation will only get stricter. we have a very clear vision as to where we would like to see our forum and in that quite clearly the very high standards of posting are paramount. a group of team is working to get very high quality posters to this place and it is our responsibility and when i say “our” i mean every member of DFI to keep very high standards as well.

DFI in times to come will be a trend setter and a bench mark for most if not all in the forum world.

certain parameters that we do not associate with quality have been listed up by Avi, so it is best not to tread that line for all.

Soham

All one needs to do is this :

Dont get personal,and keep calm
Along with giving more respect to military proffessionals, as they know much more than any of us. We come here to learn.
Just read before you post, and the forum will begin to glow. :)

Flint

Articles from daily.pk, rupeenews.com, strategypage should not be posted on this forum. They are low quality, full of propaganda and without sources and facts.
Add merinews, Indiadaily and other sites with user-generated content.

dave lukins

All one needs to do is this :

Along with giving more respect to military proffessionals, as they know much more than any of us. We come here to learn.
Just read before you post, and the forum will begin to glow. :)
Not too sure on more respect. All should be treated with due respect. Good manners produce good posts. Patience and tolerance are also assets to a good Forum.

Soham

Not too sure on more respect. All should be treated with due respect. Good manners produce good posts. Patience and tolerance are also assets to a good Forum.
Sir, I was referring to the instances when some people think they know much more from their 2-minute googling than a person with years of experience behind him/her.

sky

code of conduct

:bye::bye:

all these are my personal views apart from the forum rules and dfi mods ban/warning criteria already liste

i agree 100p/c with av
we need a code of conduct for all members,as we dont wont this forum to go down the way of pdf.a place where the mods are very active in deleting posts.so far i know off only one post which was deleted for good reason too.let us debate rather than being undignified or just plain rude

Don't make DFI a feel good site !!!

I request all fellow members of Defence Forum of India that not to make this site(DFI) a India centric feel good site. Recently i have come across several articles, threads and post that just go on with the bla...bla...bla... regarding how good and superior India is. I don't have anything against an member posting such things but just want to make them realize that such actions decreases the standard of the forum. I am a India and love my country but this doesnot mean that i would just keep on boosting about India.

What is a feel good site?
A feel good site is a web-site where you log in just to read goods things about your country and you keep on bashing you enemy/competitor country. Many of this things specified are not even true. Such site give you a false sence of security and pleasure about your country.

maybe we could add one more rule ;personal opinions that are meant to derail threads or trolling /flambaiting should be added to the list as i have noticed members joining and posting just for this reason.