SRK detained at US airport for being a Khan

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
MUMBAI: Superstar Shahrukh Khan was detained for about two hours early Saturday morning (around 1am IST) at Newark airport in the US because his surname featured on the most common list. The actor, who is visiting the US to attend a South Asian event where he was the guest of honour was released after Congress MP Rajiv Shukla spoke to the authorities in the US and the Indian consulate. The actor was detained after his name flashed on the computer. He was asked several questions about the purpose of his visit. His hand baggage was checked. He was not allowed to even make a phone call for nearly an hour.

Speaking to TOI, the actor said: "I told them I was a movie star and had recently visited the country for the shooting of my film. Nothing seemed to convince the immigration officer. There were other immigration officers who even vouched for me but this particular officer did not listen to anyone. I even told them I had an invitation from the South Asian community and was there to attend an event.’’ Shahrukh is to return to India on August 18.

Shukla, who came to the actor’s rescue, condemned this act saying, "It is really not fair. Just because he has a common surname does not mean that every Muslim can be taken as a suspect or considered to be a terrorist. The Amercian authorities should adopt a methodology so that well-known names like Shahrukh Khan and APJ Abdul Kalam are not harassed like this. They should focus on getting the actual suspects.’’

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Detaining SRK at US airport not justified: Ambika Soni​

NEW DELHI: Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Saturday reacted angrily to Bollywood star ShahRukh Khan being detained at a US airport, saying it was not justified. "I don't think that this manner of detaining the name of religion is justified. But in the United States of America several examples have surfaced where frisking takes place more than required, according to us," Soni, who was the tourism minister in the previous government, told reporters here. "I have always felt - even when I was frisked there - that the way they frisk us we should do the same for them here," she added.

Khan was detained for two hours at the Newark airport after US immigration officials spotted the 'Khan' in his name, his aide said. Shah Rukh was on his way to Chicago to attend a function to mark India's Independence Day. "He was detained because his surname is Khan. He was kept until officials from the Indian embassy intervened. Now he has been released," Niloufer Qureshi, Shah Rukh's manager, said over telephone from Mumbai. In April, former president APJ Kalam was also frisked at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here as he was boarding a flight of US carrier Continental Airlines. The incident had created waves in parliament in July, with MPs from across the spectrum expressing outrage over Kalam being reportedly subjected to a full body check and even asked to remove his footwear as he waited on the aerobridge to board the Newark-bound flight.

Link

Pintu

This is simply shameful and disgusting , is this simply not promoting religious hatred ? they should be judge themselves first while including us in 'watch list'.By Insulting public figure like SRK they have insulted all of us.

Regards

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I say ^$&% US. If he has self-respect, he should never visit that place without apology from US.

A.V.

srk is not just any other actor he is the representative of india , he has a huge fan following around the world people look up to these celebrities including him in thier life ,insulting such public figures should not happen at all and this action must not be taken lightly by indian goverment
a strong protest must be lodged this is directly insulting the indian people as a whole

very very shameful ...

NSG_Blackcats

I don’t wish to participate in US’ religious paranoia: SRK​

New Jersey: Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who was detained for as long as two hours early on Saturday at the Newark airport in the US, thanks to his surname ‘Khan’, has reacted strongly to the episode calling it ‘uncalled for’. Speaking exclusively to Zee News about the incident that has left him deeply saddened, Shah Rukh said, “I am devoid; it hurts your self respect. I don’t want to make an ego issue out of it but I think I would avoid coming to this place now.” Further elaborating on the episode, Shah Rukh said, “I was made to answer silly questions which had no relation with a legal and a general interrogation. They didn’t let me use my phone for an hour. I was travelling alone as the US consulate hadn’t allowed a visa to my bodyguard who coincidentally has the same name. As it is I am quite reluctant in coming to the US and I would make sure that I avoid it in the future.”

“This has happened with me before and that’s why it concerns me all the more. As it is I shy away from coming to the US because I don’t want to participate in their paranoia about religion and everything that the US has developed into over the years. I don’t want to say that it happened because I am a Muslim as it may lead to something else, but I think it had something to do with that only. We can only avoid this by not coming to the US,” added Shah Rukh. Suggesting what can be done to avoid such embarrassments, the actor said, “I guess they need to modify the system. I am sure they can do much better than this, being the advanced country America is.” The actor ended up by saying, “This particular episode makes me appreciate our independence one million times more. I need an incident like this to strengthen my faith in God further. I am looking forward to coming back to my country.”

Link

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I don’t wish to participate in US’ religious paranoia: SRK​
Shah Rukh said, “I am devoid; it hurts your self respect. I don’t want to make an ego issue out of it but I think I would avoid coming to this place now.”
Exactly what I said in my previous post. Bravo SRK. Teach these people some lesson.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
The episode with SRK and previously with Dr APJ Abdul Kalaam....some americans may be happy about the deligency of their security men but actually it is a proof how stupid and less informed they are.

Pintu

Agreed with you sabir , SRK represents India all over world, a great actor and a gentleman, representing our country in the world , this is simply a double standard and an insult to all of us, it came on the hills of our ex president respected APJ Abdul Kalam was harassed by the Continental Airways , American security staff.

Regards

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
The US will do whatever they feel is necessary to safeguard their national security.
They have shown the willingness to goto extreme lengths to achieve their ends(torture,holding citizens of other countries without trial etc) i don't see that changing anytime soon.
No matter how much SRK or the Indian government on President Kalam's behalf might protest it won't make one iota of difference.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
In US security and value of life comes above everything and everyone and i respect that a lot. Only because a person is a famous actor the protocol can't be voilated. Only in third world countries we have such attitude of nepotitism, and favouring depending on his social class.There everyone is checked and people with certain surname like khan, shah, shakhe, etc. have to undergo seperate security check. This is no big deal to make so much fuss about.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
This is not about Security, this is just Plain Religious Discrimination! And these guys have the galls to Accuse us of discrimination! This is the 3rd Incident in a row with famous personalities, starting with APJ, then Malayalam Acter Mammooty (Mohammed Kutty) and Now SRK! Just think, how many normal people, who dont have star status or VIP tags pass through this hell everyday! This has to be stopped, this is not the way americans should project themselves, especially since its called land of the free!!!

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/231015_India-takes-up-Shahrukh-case-with-US-Envoy-says-checking-facts

A file photo of Shahrukh Khan during a press
conference of the film 'My Name is Khan'. PTI Photo

India takes up Shahrukh case with US,Envoy says checking facts

STAFF WRITER 14:6 HRS IST

New Delhi, Aug 15 (PTI) With Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan being detained and questioned at Newark airport, India Saturday took up the issue with the US Embassy here which said it was ascertaining details about the incident involving the "global icon" who was welcome to America.

"The matter was taken up with the US Embassy," External Affairs Ministry spokesman Vishnu Prakash said soon after the reports about detention of the actor reached here.

He said the Embassy was ascertaining factual details of the incident.

Consul General of India in New York is in touch with Khan, Prakash added.

US Ambassador to India Timothy J Roemer issued a separate statement, saying "We are trying to ascertain the facts of the case - to understand what took place."

Describing Shahrukh Khan as a "global icon", Roemer said "he is a very welcome guest in the United States. Many Americans love his films.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I bet hundreds of Muslims were detained before SRK, and nobody noticed it. And hundreds of people will continue to be detained after Khan.
Why are we hyping his importance by calling him a representative of India ?
Any Indian Muslim(including Khan) detained for discriminatory reasons is a shame.

On the brighter side,
I hope this practice is looked into, and such humiliation is prevented in the future.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
In US security and value of life comes above everything and everyone and i respect that a lot. Only because a person is a famous actor the protocol can't be voilated. Only in third world countries we have such attitude of nepotitism, and favouring depending on his social class.There everyone is checked and people with certain surname like khan, shah, shakhe, etc. have to undergo seperate security check. This is no big deal to make so much fuss about.
Does being a Muslim equate to being a terrorist ?
Can there not be Christian terrorists ? Why is this exhaustive questioning restricted to Muslims ?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think we had similar incidents of frisking with our parliamentarians like Somnath Chaterjee and George Fernandes. They simply refused to go to those countries again. I think everyone should take cue from such personalities. If the person is not good for the country, then that country is not good for that person either.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I think we had similar incidents of frisking with our parliamentarians like Somnath Chaterjee and George Fernandes. They simply refused to go to those countries again. I think everyone should take cue from such personalities. If the person is not good for the country, then that country is not good for that person either.
I have heard Ray Sir same the same in another forum, Correct me If I am wrong :) But I too feel the same, if you are not respected in a particular country or place, for no doing of yours, then dont go!

But the Hypocricy must stop, I mean they can discrimate all they want, but we Indians are still no good for them!

leonblack08

Respected Member
Easy for you to say that way...but hard for those who have these names.
Now this type of paranoia does not make US safer,instead it creates new terrorists.Gives Idiotic Fundis a chance to preach hate.

fateh71

Once in Detriot i was removed from the security line and my baggage checked (they took chemical samples and all). I'm not muslim, but they do racial profiling. Its humiliating to those who are selected.

But talking of humiliation, has anyone flown to Saudi on Indian / Pakistani / Bangladesh passport? 80% times you will end up getting far worse treatment.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I bet hundreds of Muslims were detained before SRK, and nobody noticed it. And hundreds of people will continue to be detained after Khan.
Why are we hyping his importance by calling him a representative of India ?
This is what i am saying.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles