Sri Lanka's Tour in India - Update

Pintu

This Thread is dedicated for update on Cricket Series between India and Sri Lanka played in India includes Test Series , ODI and T20s.

=========================================================

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Dhoni is hoping for Tendulkar century

Dhoni is hoping for Tendulkar century

OUR CORRESPONDENT

Dhoni in Ahmedabad on Sunday

Ahmedabad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni is hoping Sachin Tendulkar will score a hundred in the first Test against Sri Lanka to make completing of 20 years in international cricket memorable.

“That will be the ultimate,” the Team India captain said at a press conference on the eve of the Test.

The following are excerpts

Sachin Tendulkar completing 20 years in international cricket

It can’t get better than this. Playing Test cricket after a really long time and Sachin completing 20 years. The passion and the way he has played, conducted himself on and off the field is exemplary. He has been a role model for the past 20 years. It’s really amazing. I am honoured to share the dressing room with him. Not even in my dreams did I think that I would be playing with him, so it is an honour for me. I hope he gets a century here. That will be the ultimate.

The build-up to the Test

It’s been nice. We are playing good cricket. We are playing Test cricket after a long time, so it will be good. We need to shift attention… we’ve played a lot in the shorter format. After New Zealand, we are playing a Test for the first time, so we have to plan a bit differently. Hopefully, we will see some nice crowd coming in and supporting us.

Getting back to the Test mode

There are quite a few players who have been playing one-day Internationals for quite some time now. The guys who are only part of the Test side have played County cricket and Ranji Trophy matches. Apart from having an impact on a few batsmen, I don’t think it will be a major factor.

The return of Zaheer Khan and his light workout at nets

It’s a general way of preparation. Usually on the eve of the Test, he has a light workout... Prefers spending time at the gym.

The pace bowling combination

We will be thinking about that... All the seamers are bowling very well right now. We will see whatever suits us the best. When it comes to pace, all the three fast bowlers in the side bowl around the same speed. I don’t think speed will be a major factor.

If choosing the spin combination will be tough

It is important to see what form a bowler is in. The think tank will sit and decide who is best suited for the conditions and have a look at a bit of stats, to see which particular bowler has been successful against them. It will be a factor because all the three spinners are quality bowlers.

Message for the Sri Lankans

I don’t have any message for them. I have enough things to think about as far as my team is concerned. I am quite happy with the bowlers and the amount of cricket they have played, domestic cricket, county cricket all included. Even Zaheer has recovered fully and has bowled in two Ranji games. I am not worried too much about the bowling. That doesn’t mean I am worried about the batting. I am quite happy with the bowlers. Amit Mishra is one of the bowlers who hasn’t got a chance for a long time in the one-dayers. Pragyan Ojha is back. We have got the potential to get the opposition out.

On whether he is wary of the Lankan spinners

It will be interesting to see how their spinners bowl. Murali has got the experience of bowling in India. At the same time, bowling in India means using the SG ball. It has been said it assists the spinners a bit more. It will be interesting to see how their other spinners bowl with that ball. Reverse swing is also a factor.

Comparing this wicket with the one against South Africa, the last time a Test was held here

It looks very different, that’s for sure. That’s what we are predicting and hoping for. It’s not really the same wicket.

If memories of that last Test here still haunts

Not really… It was long time back, and we have played enough cricket in between, be it Test cricket or one-day cricket. We didn’t play well in the first session and we lost the game. But I don’t think we have got any bad memories of that. We are not worried about what happened in the last match we played here.

The pressure

Indian team and pressure go hand in hand. I have not played a series where it was said that we were not under pressure. That’s nothing new. When you play in the best side in the world, you are under pressure. When we play the lowest ranked side, then too, we are under pressure. We are always under pressure, whatever the opposition. So we are not bothered too much about that. We will try to play to our potential.

The Monday start to the Test

Never really thought about it. For us, it is a Test match and it is important to start well. You never really think about such things. But of course, it is better off if you start with a Saturday and Sunday or if it ends on a Sunday.

Pintu

Series against SL assumes immense importance for team India- Backpage-The Sunday ET-Features-The Economic Times

Series against SL assumes immense importance for team India
15 Nov 2009, 0039 hrs IST, Amin Ali, ET Bureau

More than a team it is a constellation of eleven shining stars. Every player’s action both on and off field is talk of the town.

There are teams that are always talked of highly. More than a team it is a constellation of eleven shining stars. Every player’s action both on and off field is talk of the town. Their captains shout out every strategic move before the match. The Indias and Pakistans or to some extent England have their own set of fans trailing them wherever they play.

But there are some that bring flair to game without too much shouting. Island nation Sri-Lanka is one such team. Just the fact that they are ranked no. 2 in the ICC test team rankings would surprise many. Under Kumar Sangakkara they have taken field recently and gone about destroying their opposition with finesse without being too flamboyant. They are consistent performers on the field and maintain standards that are usually unbecoming of Asian outfits. They face team India is a series of three tests, five one dayers and two T20 internationals from tomorrow with first test at Ahmedabad.

For team India this series assumes importance, as it is a chance to redeem themselves in front of home crowd after the recent drubbing by Australia. While Indian fielded their full strength outfit, Australians were constantly losing key players due to injuries. Yet they came out triumphant and the final score line of 4-2 in favour of Australians does not suit the ‘indomitable lions’ in home conditions.

Australian media questioned the Indian team’s tall claims of dismantling Aussies from the top spot in one-dayers. They celebrated their victory by calling it ‘Indian trashing at the hands of Australia A side.’ Mahendra Singh Dhoni has his job cut out. To tame the Lankans and infuse confidence back in the hearts of fans.

Sri Lanka on the other hand is brimming with confidence. After their recent series win against Pakistan and New Zealand at home they are on a high. In Herath and Kandamby they have found two new players to share the burden of the seniors. While Herath would be a perfect foil for Murali and Mendis on spinning wickets, Kandamby with his solid technique and ability to play long innings adds depth to batting line-up boasting of Sangakkara, Jayawardena and Samarweera. But the bright spark to team has been Tilakratne Dilshan.

Pintu

Dravid and Dhoni dump Sri Lanka hopes- ET Cetera-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Dravid and Dhoni dump Sri Lanka hopes
16 Nov 2009, 1814 hrs IST, PTI

AHMEDABAD: Rahul Dravid and captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit centuries Monday as India came back hard on Sri Lanka in the first cricket test to rack up 385-6.

Dravid batted nearly the entire first day to finish at unbeaten 177, while Dhoni made a splendid 110 before he was out three overs before stumps.

The elegant right-handed Dravid, also known as ``Wall'' for his temperament, completed 11,000 runs in test matches and hit 26 boundaries and a straight six in yet another 251-ball knock.

It was a remarkable turnaround by Dravid and Dhoni after paceman Chanaka Welegedara's triple strike had left the home team reeling at 32-4 inside the first hour.

Dravid featured in two productive partnerships which gave India an early initiative in the three-test series. He added 224 runs for the sixth wicket with Dhoni before Dhamika Prasad had the India skipper caught behind just before close. Dhoni hit 10 boundaries and a six in his first test century at home and faced 159 deliveries.

Dravid first resurrected the innings with a 125-run stand with Yuvraj Singh (68), and then featured in a double-century stand with his captain.

Earlier, Welegedara caused major concerns for the hosts with his opening burst of three wickets, including Sachin Tendulkar for four, after Dhoni won the toss and elected to bat.

The 28-year-old swing bowler clean bowled Gautam Gambhir with the total at 14 and then had two wickets in the sixth over. He had Virender Sehwag (16) lbw with a ball that pitched on middle stump and then bowled Tendulkar (4) between bat and pad.

Tendulkar, celebrating his 20th anniversary in test cricket, lasted only three deliveries.

Prasad had VVS Laxman bowled without scoring in the seventh over to have India reeling at 32 for four. That brought Yuvraj and Dravid together and both batsmen attacked the Sri Lankan bowlers.

The gamble paid off as they struck some delightful boundaries on both sides of the wicket in a powerful partnership and kept the scoring rate well over four runs an over.

Muttiah Muralitharan finally broke the threatening stand when he lured Yuvraj with a slow flighted delivery and offered a tame catch to Tillakaratne Dilshan in the covers.

Yuvraj hit 13 boundaries in his 93-ball innings before his concentration lapse.

Dravid - ignored for the one-day series against Australia - pumped his fist in the air when he completed his 27th test century with a single off left-arm spinner Rangana Herath soon after tea.

Dhoni raised his hundred when he came down the wicket to Herath's flighted delivery and drove past the fielder at covers for his ninth boundary of the innings.

Welegedara, playing only his second test match and first in almost two years, was the pick of Sri Lankan bowlers with 3-75.

Pintu

1st Test: Statistical highlights of India and Sri Lanka - Top Stories - Sri Lanka in India, 2009 - Series & Tournaments - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

1st Test: Statistical highlights of India and Sri Lanka
PTI 16 November 2009, 10:43pm IST

AHMEDABAD: Following are the statistical highlights of the opening day of the first Test between India and Sri Lanka on Monday.

# India (385/6) have registered their highest total on the first day of a Test match, eclipsing the 375 for 9 against New Zealand at Wellington in 2008-09.

# Rahul Dravid's 27th Test century is his second against Sri Lanka - his 11th on Indian soil.

# Dravid's tally of 27 centuries is bettered only by Sachin Tendulkar (42) and Sunil Gavaskar (34) for India.

# Dravid has completed his 11,000 runs in Tests, joining Sachin Tendulkar (12,777), Brian Lara (11953), Ricky Ponting (11345) and Allan Border (11174).

# With 1157 runs at an average of 52.59 in 15 Tests against Sri Lanka, Dravid is the fourth Indian batsman to achieve the distinction, joining Sachin Tendulkar (1412), Mohammad Azharuddin (1215) and Sourav Ganguly (1064).

# With two century stands in India's innings, Dravid has now 78 partnerships of 100 or more in Tests - a world record. Ricky Ponting (75) has the next best tally, followed by Sachin Tendulkar (71).

# Mahendra Singh Dhoni, during the course of his second hundred, has completed his 2,000 runs and in the process became Indian wicketkeeper after Syd Kirmani and Farokh Engineer to complete the double of 2,000 runs and 100 dismissals.

# Dhoni's 110 is his first hundred on Indian soil as well as his first as skipper. His first century was 148 against Pakistan at Faisalabad in January 2006.

# Chanaka Welegedara has registered his best Test figures.

# Dravid is the leading run-getter at Sardar Patel (Gujarat) Stadium - 628 runs (ave.69.77) in six Tests at this venue.

# Dravid's unbeaten 177 is his highest innings against Sri Lanka, beating the 107 against Sri Lanka at Colombo, SSC in February 1998-99.

# Yuvraj Singh and Dravid have put on 125, which is India's best for the fifth wicket against Sri Lanka on Indian soil, bettering the 87 between Mohammad Azharuddin and Sanjay Manjrekar at Bangalore in 1993-94.

# Yuvraj has posted his third fifty (68 off 93 balls) against Sri Lanka - his 7th in Tests.

# Dravid and Dhoni have shared a 224-run stand for the sixth wicket, which is India's second best against Sri Lanka, next only to the 272 between Kapil Dev and Mohammad Azhauddin at Kanpur in 1986-87.

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | One of my most fluent innings: Dravid

One of my most fluent innings: Dravid

OUR CORRESPONDENT

Ahmedabad: Rahul Dravid thinks Monday’s unbeaten 177 should rank as one of his most fluent innings. The former India captain said at a media conference that India need to reach at least 500 to put the Sri Lankans under pressure.

His thoughts at 32 for four

I knew we needed a partnership to get going. The South Africa game was also on the back of our minds when we were bowled out in 20 overs and the wicket became good later on. I knew if we could get through to lunch without losing any more wickets, batting would be easier. Yuvraj (Singh) was positive and played some good shots. We were able to put on a 100-run partnership and that set the platform for me and Mahi (Mahendra Singh Dhoni).

The way he went about the task

The first session was about getting through and not losing any more wickets. I told Yuvi, ‘let’s hang in there’. We knew if we could get a 40/50 run stand, we would get a platform to build on. The second session was about consolidating. In the final session, we concentrated on cashing in on the partnerships and getting into a solid position. But the partnership with Yuvi built the base to the innings.

The wicket in the morning session

It did a bit but they bowled well. It was a bit sticky and aided swing. It happens in a Test match… But the important part is we showed the character to fight back with a couple of good partnerships.

His innings

I would say a pretty good innings. At the end of the day I’m unbeaten on 177. I was fluent right through and very much in control.

If he reckoned the knock as his most fluent in recent memory

I would say so… It’s nice to get this feeling of batting the way I have. I’ve been through some tough times for a couple of seasons. I thought the flow has come back this year. It was probably one of my most fluent efforts over the last few seasons.

If playing the two Ranji matches in the lead up to the Test helped

It always helps to gain confidence. It helps when batting in the middle. I knew we had a bit of contest in our hands against their spinners and we responded to the challenge quite well.

On whether he had any specific plans

There was no pre-conceived plan. But I batted well and got my feet moving early. I was finding the gaps easily and went on to play each ball as I saw it.

How he rates this innings

It'll be a good question to answer at the end of a game. I always rate an innings in the context of the game. From 32 for 4, at the end of the day I'm really happy with what we've achieved. If we go on to win this Test match, you'd say it’s somewhere up there. That’s why the innings I’ve played at the Eden (vs Australia, 2001), in Adelaide (vs Australia, 2003) or in Rawalpindi (vs Pakistan, 2004) are memorable ... when you go on to win, that’s when you realise the value. In terms of shot-making, this was a good one. It was a pretty flat wicket. I’ve played on much tougher ones. If it ends up being a draw, it’s a great knock, but not as meaningful as some of the other ones.

Reaching 11,000 Test runs

I’ve been playing for a long time. It’s a nice achievement and speaks about my longevity and consistency. But for me it’s just a number. It’s nice to be up there with people I grew up admiring. That makes it all the more special.

If he has sent out any message to the selectors

I'm not even thinking about that … I’m just trying to play every single game.

The pace of the Indian innings

We’ve got to move on from here. We scored pretty fast and hopefully we’ll reach 500. There’s still lot of cricket left in this match, but the way we set up our innings today (Monday) was commendable. I’m still there…

Remember Sri Lanka will have to bat last on this wicket. We’ve got a platform to do well. The loss of six wickets wasn’t the ideal situation, but we’ve moved on.

The decision to bat

It was a good toss to win. We didn’t want to bat last. We know we have to bat well in the first session on the second morning. It will stay a good batting wicket for the next two days at least. Then it will turn…

Pintu

Kirsten defends picking four bowlers for Test - Top Stories - Sri Lanka in India, 2009 - Series & Tournaments - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India

Kirsten defends picking four bowlers for Test
TNN 18 November 2009, 12:35am IST

AHMEDABAD: The Sri Lankans put up a healthy total at the end of the second day’s play, but Indian coach Gary Kirsten seemed rather happy with his bowlers’ efforts on a flat wicket. "It was exciting to see Zaheer bowl the way he did. Even Harbhajan was bowling with good rhythm. Amit too bowled well but he is back in action after a while so give him some time. This is just the second day of the Test and he will get better," said Kirsten.

Even Dilshan agreed that Zaheer pegged them back a bit at the fag end of the day. "Zaheer bowled beautifully and took two main wickets. We are slightly ahead of India at the moment but could have done better," the day’s centurion said.

Dilshan added: "Welegedara getting Dravid early was the turning point of the second morning and that helped us get them under 450."

Meanwhile, with the Motera wicket loaded in batsmen’s favour, there were questions raised over India’s decision to go in with four bowlers. Coach Kirsten reacted: "The top Test teams in the world have gone in with four frontline bowlers and have done well. We too have stuck to this composition (seven batsmen and four bowlers - three seamers or one spinner or two seamers and two spinners depending on the condition) successfully for quite some time."

The coach also said that it has been done to get the balance right in the team. However, Kirsten admitted that it is always good to have a bowling all-rounder. "In the current Indian squad, Yuvraj and Viru can do the job of the fifth bowler."

Kirsten still insisted that his four bowlers would be able to do the job for the team. "Don’t jump the gun, this is just the second day of the Test and there’s lot of time left in the match to come to a conclusion whether an extra bowler would have been helpful or not," said the coach.

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Spinners hold key: Kirsten

Spinners hold key: Kirsten

OUR CORRESPONDENT

Kirsten

Ahmedabad: Gary Kirsten feels the first Test is evenly balanced at the end of the second day. The Team India coach said at a press conference after the day’s play, on Tuesday, that the wicket would provide turn and the spinners will hold the key.

If he is happy with the second day’s outcome

We would’ve loved to have a few more runs. But it was a tremendous effort to get to 426 from 32 for four… We will be happy with that. Sri Lanka batted well. The game is pretty even at this moment. It’s a good wicket to bat on and hopefully it will start taking more and more turn. It will get better as the game goes along, and bowling last on this wicket is going to suit us.

Whether the wicket is responsible for the low turnout

It’s not for me to answer…

Virender Sehwag’s absence from the field for most of the day

He picked up an injury on his finger during fielding, but he’s fine.

Zaheer Khan’s bowling

It’s good to have him back… He’s an experienced and clever bowler. He bowled exceptionally well today. Hopefully, we can continue to use his skills throughout this match and the next one. I was very happy with his bowling.

If there was enough reverse swing

We were hoping for a bit more. It did reverse a bit. In conditions like these, it helps to get the reverse. We will hopefully get a bit more in the second innings and tomorrow (Wednesday) as well. The outfield is good and the areas around the pitch are good. The ball has not been pitched consistently on the rough patches.

The spinners’ bowling

I thought Harbhajan bowled really well. He’s got the rhythm. I think he was happy with his performance, considering it’s a good wicket for batting. Amit (Mishra) has not bowled for a while. He hasn’t had much match practice. We would like his rhythm to get better. I am pretty confident both of them are going to play important roles in this Test.

If Mishra should have been released for Ranji ties during the one-dayers against Australia, like Murali Vijay and Pragyan Ojha

You need to have people around and available… If someone does have an ankle problem on the morning of the game, you need a substitute… Amit, unfortunately, has not played much… It’s difficult to work it out.

If an extra seamer should have been fielded

You mean an extra seamer was missed! It looks like a good batting wicket to me. We hope the wicket will start turning and the spinners will become effective. Give it some time…It’s only the second day and you are jumping the gun. We have been going in with four bowlers since the start of my stint. That gives us balance. In New Zealand, we played an extra seamer, here it’s an extra spinner.

Need for an all-rounder

It does help to have an extra bowling option. It’s been the general belief that any of the six batsmen in your Test line up will get a big hundred for you. If you can have a bowling all-rounder who can get a big hundred, that’s good. A lot of teams have played successful cricket for many years with four frontline bowlers. Yuvraj and Viru can bowl for us.

Tillekaratne Dilshan’s batting

They were scoring at just under four. We scored over four and that suggests the wicket is good for batting. Dilshan is a fantastic player, very talented and aggressive. He’s a dangerous player and we need to continuously work on how to get him out.

If the referral system, which was in use during the last series in Sri Lanka, is needed

I think it does have a place at some stage. What we want is consistency in decision making. We used it in Lanka last year… There were pros and cons of the system. It needs to be worked out correctly and fine tuned.

Pintu

It?s Dilshine at Motera, News - Sports - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

It’s Dilshine at Motera

Tilakaratne Dilshan's century helped Sri Lanka give a fitting reply to the Indians as the visitors lost only three wickets for 275 in 75 overs

Tapan Joshi in Ahmedabad
Posted On Tuesday, November 17, 2009 at 11:28:07 PM

In the desert, even the briefest spell of showers feels divine. For around 20 minutes on Tuesday, fit-again Zaheer Khan gave a lesson on how to bowl on a pitch which batsmen would dream about all the time.

Everything was going in Sri Lanka’s favour up until that spell from Zaheer. Their bowlers had ensured India don’t reach their target of 500, with Chanaka Welegedara again showing the way. The left-arm seamer didn’t allow Rahul Dravid to add a run to his overnight score of 177, and then, Muttiah Muralitharan got into the act as India finished with 426.

At stumps on day two, Sri Lanka were 275 for three, trailing India by 151 runs. But the Lankan total had been a lot more closer to India's, had Zaheer not bowled a magical spell. To start the Lankan innings, out came Tillekeratne Dilshan, all guns blazing. He had already got four hundreds in 2009, and on a wicket like the one at the Motera stadium here, he was not going to miss out.

A sparkling hundred was duly brought up in 120 balls, and with Kumar Sangakkara looking solid, India were staring at a run-scoring monster. The Lankans had rustled up 189 for one in 42 overs. Dilshan was unbeaten on 112, Sangakkara on 30, when Zaheer came back for his fourth spell.

Special effort

In his previous spells, Zaheer was trying to bring the ball in to the right-handers. There was no pronounced reverse swing to speak of, and the wicket, well… it was snoring. The first ball of his new spell, a short-pitched delivery, took Dilshan completely by surprise. All this while, Dilshan was in complete control, and it was a special effort on Zaheer’s part to rattle a set batsman in this manner.

Dilshan could only manage to put the shoulder of his bat to the ball, and Dravid completed one of the easiest catches of his career.

In Zaheer’s next over, Sangakkara was walking back to his pavilion, shaking his head because he had seen what Zaheer had done to Dilshan, and now, he himself fell to the trick. Once again Zaheer dug in short, once again a set batsmen (Sangakkara) was surprised. All the Sri Lankan skipper managed to do was save himself from bodily harm, resulting in a messy hook shot which Sachin Tendulkar caught gleefully. In his fourth spell, Zaheer bowled five overs, giving away four runs.

Most importantly, he removed the two Lankan batting mainstays in Dilshan and Sangakkara. Dilshan admitted had it not been for Zaheer, Lanka would have been calling the shots in this Test by Tuesday evening. He said, “Zaheer bowled a very good bouncer at me, and he was superb for his team, removing two set batsmen. He was getting the ball to hurry on to the batsmen, which makes him a dangerous customer.”

Luckily for Sri Lanka, there was not much of a reverse swing going for Zaheer. India coach Gary Kirsten put it down to the smooth surface here at Motera. He said, “The ball’s not hit rough patches, as the outfield is good and the area around the pitch is quite smooth. We were hoping for more reverse swing, but we’ll wait and see.”

On a day dominated by the batters, Kirsten doffed his hat at Zaheer’s skills. “It’s great to have him back,” he said, There is no doubt that even if the wicket starts taking turn from day three onwards, it’s Zaheer who will have to do the bulk of damage.

Leg-spinner Amit Mishra looked rusty and the Lankans didn’t have too many problems against Harbhajan Singh. Bowling a team out twice on such a batting beauty is no mean task, but if anyone in the Indian side can come close to showing the way, it is Zaheer Khan.

India I innings(o/n) 385/6

R Dravid b Welegedara 177
H Singh b Muralitharan 22
Z Khan lbw b Herath 12
A Mishra (not out) 7
I Sharma st P Jayawardene
b Muralitharan 0
Extras (b-2, lb-2, w-1, nb-4) 9
Total (all out in 104.5 overs) 426
Fall of wickets: 1-14, 2-27, 3-31, 4-32, 5-157, 6-381, 7-389, 8-414, 9-426
Bowling: Welegedara 22-4-87-4;
Prasad 22-1-106-2; Mathews 12-1-50-0; Muralitharan 25.5-4-97-3;
Herath 22-2-79-1; Dilshan 1-0-3-0.

Srilanka i innings

T Dilshan c Dravid b Zaheer 112
T Paranavitana c Dhoni b Ishant 35
K Sangakkara c Tendulkar b Zaheer 31
M Jayawardene (not out) 36
T Samaraweera (not out) 45
Extras (lb-5, w-2, nb-9) 16
Total (three wickets in 70 overs) 275
Fall of wickets: 1-74, 2-189, 3-194
Bowling: Zaheer 15-2-45-2;
Ishant 14-0-53-1; Harbhajan 20-2-72-0; Mishra 18-0-89-0; Yuvraj 3-0-11-0

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/381438_Kirsten-defends-spinners-after-innocuous-display

Kirsten defends spinners after innocuous display

STAFF WRITER 18:57 HRS IST

Ahmedabad, Nov 17 (PTI) India coach Gary Kirsten today sprang to the defence of his spinners after both Harbhajan Singh and Amit Mishra went wicketless on the second day of the first cricket Test against Sri Lanka here today.

"I thought Harbhajan bowled really well with as good a rhythm as I have seen him bowl for a while. I think he was happy with his performance," Kirsten said after the second day's play.

In reply to India's first innings total of 426, Sri Lanka ended the day at a strong 275 for three and neither Harbhajan nor leg-spinner Amit Mishra could manage a single wicket.

Kirsten blamed it on the docile nature of the pitch and the rustiness of Mishra, who has not bowled for nearly a month in a competitive match despite being part of the one-day team against Australia.

"It's a good wicket for batting.

Emperor

fcuk man,
The Indian team does better in modelling,but not on the ground.

They should be spending some time doing net practise rather than photo-shots and adds.

These days,people are coming into the team only looking after money.Dont expect every one to be like a sachin.

A country with a billion+ population where the most popular sport is cricket fails constantly.its so funny to even take this.

Pintu

^^^Agree Phani totally, I think none of them currently can replace Famous Four (Sachin, Saurav, Dravid, Laxman) and Kumble even a replacement of Srinath in is also not in horizon , Zaheer and somewhat Nehra can do the job , but Ishant may have to go a long way. Gambhir has the capability to go long distance , but I fear what after the remaining 3 of Famous four retire, and one more day to follow, hope they draw atleast. :(

Regards

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Off-colour India bat to avoid blues

Off-colour India bat to avoid blues
- FIRST TEST
- Sri Lanka declare at 760 for seven; Gautam Gambhir unbeaten on 74

INDRANIL MAJUMDAR

Gautam Gambhir on way to his
unbeaten 74 on Thursday. (PTI)

Ahmedabad: Not many would have bet on India avoiding defeat in the first Test of the Jaypee Cup till Wednesday. But a good start to the second innings has enlivened hopes of the hosts forcing a draw at Motera.

India began 334 runs in arrears after a world record 351-run sixth wicket partnership between the Jayawardenes, Mahela and Prasanna. By close, however, that was reduced to 144, and, given the nature of the wicket, a little application would see the Indians through with some dignity on the final day.

For the record, Sri Lanka’s 760 for seven declared is the highest total on Indian soil.

Gautam Gambhir has once again shown an inclination for playing long innings during the 194 minutes for his unbeaten 74. If he can repeat his match-saving effort of Napier earlier this year, the visitors will struggle to dismiss the remaining eight batsmen on a wicket that has showed no signs of wear and tear.

Even nightwatchman Amit Mishra batted sensibly during his brief stay following the dismissals of Virender Sehwag and Rahul Dravid.

There was very little room for error and the openers, taking advantage of the defensive field settings, did well to put on 81 runs. Sehwag, though, lived dangerously for his 51. He rode his luck on at least two occasions before his indiscretion cost him his wicket.

He edged the fourth delivery of the innings, a no ball, between the wicket-keeper and first slip. That apparently was no warning as he went hard at Damika Prasad in the very next over. This time, neither of the Jaywardenes managed to get a hand to the ball.

Another edge off Muttiah Muralidharan flew wide of Mahela. Then, a Murali throw from mid-on almost found the opener short of his crease. Sehwag’s flamboyant ways led to his dismissal which, given the circumstances, was something India could have done without.

He seemed to be batting with the exuberance of a multi-millionaire at a casino. If things don’t go India’s way, Sehwag’s irresponsible slog that saw him depart, will be one of the talking points.

Despite his years of experience, Sehwag failed to show the maturity the team needed at that hour. The Lankan pace bowlers weren’t able to repeat their efforts and Sehwag could have made a big difference to the side.

Dravid, though, was a bit unlucky. He batted with the authority and calmness that is expected of him but was unlucky not to have got the benefit of doubt from the umpire when on 38. The ball was missing the leg stump and it was unfair to have adjudged him leg before.

The focus remained on the wicket at the Sardar Patel Stadium. In the days of T20, such placid tracks are never going to attract the spectators. It’s time the Board lived up to its promise of producing lively wickets or else it will only add to the apathy of the common man.

Earlier, the Lankan run accumulation continued on the fourth morning with none of the bowlers managing to make an impact. The Indians were content with going through the motions, and, at the same time, hoping for an early declaration to end their misery.

The Jayawardenes never set a foot wrong, taking the attack to the cleaners. Mahela led the charge, never allowing the spinners to settle into a line and, in the process, completed 9000 Test runs.

Prasanna reached his second century with the fourth boundary of the morning. The third new ball made no difference as the batsmen continued with their boundary-scoring spree and, while at it, rewrote the 72-year-old sixth wicket record of Don Bradman and Jack Fingleton. The pair had made 346 against England in Melbourne during the 1936-37 series.

The Indians seemed tired as the Lankans dragged their innings. Zaheer Khan bowled off a shorter run up, Ishant Sharma’s pace wasn’t up there and the spinners failed to get variation in their armoury.

The Lankans were probably hoping for Mahela to complete his second triple hundred but the former captain fell short by 25. His 610-minute vigil ended when he stepped out to Mishra and played the wrong line. The innings contained 27 boundaries and a six.

Damika Prasad soon followed suit, holing out to Mishra, and forcing Kumar Sangakkara to bring the curtains down on the bowlers’ agony. Prasanna remained not out on 154 (11x4).

Pintu

AFP: India force a draw after Gambhir, Tendulkar tons

India force a draw after Gambhir, Tendulkar tons

By Kuldip Lal (AFP) – 6 hours ago

AHMEDABAD, India — Gautam Gambhir made 114 and Sachin Tendulkar hit an unbeaten 100 as India batted out the final day to draw the first cricket Test against Sri Lanka here on Friday.

India easily wiped out a huge first innings deficit of 334 runs as they scored 412-4 in their second knock before the high-scoring Test was called off with six overs remaining on the fifth day.

Tendulkar, 36, set a new benchmark of 30,000 international runs at the start of his third decade in the game to frustrate Sri Lanka's bid to win their first Test on Indian soil.

Tendulkar, the world's leading Test and one-day scorer, reached the landmark when he turned Chanaka Welegedara to square-leg for a single to reach 35 soon after lunch.

He ended the match with a Test career tally of 12,877 runs, building on the 17,188 one-day and 10 Twenty20 runs he has scored since making his debut on November 15, 1989 against Pakistan in Karachi.

Tendulkar, who smashed his 43rd Test century, put on 66 for the fourth wicket with Gambhir and 137 for the unbroken fifth with Venkatsai Laxman, who returned unbeaten on 51.

Sri Lanka's bowlers struggled to cope with the batsman-friendly pitch on which 1,598 runs were scored at the cost of just 21 wickets over the five days.

World bowling record holder Muttiah Muralitharan failed to take a wicket in 38 overs which cost 124 runs and left-arm spinner Rangana Herath went for 2-97 in 40 overs.

"It was a bit disappointing to draw the game," said Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara. "It was a pretty flat track that did not have much for the bowlers.

"We were thinking positive on the final day and needed something to go our way but that did not happen.

"We did not gain any psychological edge. It's pretty Even Stevens going into the next match but I am happy the way the team played as a unit.

"There are a lot of positives to take from the game, like our batting and the bowling of Welegedara, who was told just before the toss that he was playing after the injury to Thilan Thushara."

Gambhir's seventh Test century was the third in successive matches this year after making 137 in Napier and 167 in Wellington on India's tour of New Zealand in March-April.

The Delhi opener kept vigil for six hours and 37 minutes when he attempted to loft Herath soon after lunch and holed out to mid-off.

Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said he was delighted by the way his team fought back after conceding a huge lead.

"I am really proud of this achievement," he said. "We had to handle our nerves and that is what we showed. It was not easy to bowl on this wicket but our bowlers bowled their hearts out.

"I am not worried about our batting because we can handle any situation. We expected the wicket to have a bit more bounce for the spinners, but it favoured the batsmen all the way.

"I expect this series to be very close."

India made 426 in the first innings after being 32-4 within the first hour of play and Sri Lanka replied with a mammoth 760-7 declared, the highest total ever scored on Indian soil.

The second Test starts in Kanpur on Tuesday, followed by the third at the Brabourne stadium in Mumbai from December 2.

Pintu

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/sports/cricket/21iht-CRICKET.html

CRICKET
Tendulkar Sets Record With 30,000 Runs

By HUW RICHARDS
Published: November 20, 2009

Sachin Tendulkar became the first man to complete 30,000 runs in international cricket with a match-saving innings for India against Sri Lanka in Ahmedabad on Friday.

Tendulkar, who needed 39 runs to reach the mark, went on to score 100 not out, his 43rd score of 100 or more in five-day tests and his 88th in all forms of international cricket. India, which had begun its second innings with a deficit of 334, was 412 for 4 when the match, first of a series of three, ended as a draw.

Setting records has become commonplace for Tendulkar, with every innings building on an immense personal monument. He is the all-time leader for runs and centuries in both five-day tests and one-day internationals. He has reached 30,000 runs in all forms, with his closest rival, Ricky Ponting of Australia, still 6,000 behind.

His latest triumph came in the week when he celebrated 20 years as an international cricketer. At 36, still fit, in form and evidently still hungry he has power to add further achievements.

It was an appropriate conclusion to a match which, after a misleading first morning dominated by bowlers, became a stat-fest for the batsmen. Sri Lanka’s score of 760 for 7 was the highest in 76 years of test cricket in India.

It also saw the demise of one of the most venerable records in the game. The mark for the highest sixth wicket stand in tests — 346 runs by the Australians Donald Bradman and Jack Fingleton against England at Melbourne — was set in 1937.

It was beaten by Mahela Jayawardene and Prasanna Jayawardene, not related, who added 351 for Sri Lanka’s sixth wicket. They erased the last test partnership record from before World War II.

The old record was in every sense the product of another age. Bradman and Fingleton came in low down the order because, with the match in the balance, Australia sent in its specialist bowlers first. Batting was impossible on a wet wicket drying under the Melbourne sun. Bradman, as captain, reckoned the bowlers were as likely to survive as the specialist batsmen, with the time they took at the crease allowing the pitch to dry and become easier.

It worked brilliantly. Australia lost five wickets for 97 runs before Bradman, who usually batted at number three, came in at number seven to join Fingleton, usually an opener. Their stand of 346 runs turned not only the match, but a series and possibly Bradman’s career.

Australia had been two down in a five-match series. It ended by winning the series, 3-2, the only team ever to have won from two down. Bradman, in his first series as captain, had been under fire. His position was never again in serious question before his retirement, as Sir Donald, in 1948.

Such conditions are now impossible, as wickets are covered during rain delays.

Those in which the Jayawardenes batted could scarcely have been more benign, but they played with purpose to put Sri Lanka in a position where it could declare its innings closed with a day and a half left. This allowed it to press for its first ever victory in India, where it has played 14 tests on six previous visits.

Mahela underlined his appetite for huge scores with 275, his sixth score of more than 200 in tests. The more significant innings, though, was played by Prasanna. He is generally regarded as the best wicket keeper in the world, his skills honed by the demands of keeping to the varied and often unorthodox group of bowlers fielded by Sri Lanka.

Yet this is only his 28th test match in nine years. Wicket keeper remains the most specialized role in cricket, but keepers no longer win selection on that skill alone. They are required to be able to bat as well.

Prasanna Jayawardene’s score of 154 not out should have secured his place. This will be a relief not only to the bowlers, but to Sri Lanka’s captain, Kumar Sangakarra. He is the alternative wicket keeper — a job that he performs highly competently. But to keep as well as captain and bat at number three would be an intolerable burden.

India’s captain, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, keeps wicket — and scored a century in the first innings, making this only the second time in test history that both keepers have passed 100 in the same match — but bats seventh, giving him a break while his top order is batting.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles