Sri Lanka Watch, News and Discussions

omaebakabaka

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on one's perspective) , this "brute hardpower display" is contained by economic and geopolitical implications. Srilanka is an independent, sovereign nation, despite its basket case economy, we can at best lean on them to safeguard our interests but we cannot threaten and definitely not bomb their port because they signed a deal with the Chinese. Even US has tempered its expectations post Iraq debacle and now tries to use its political and economical muscle to force nations tow its line . We need to buy influence and think creatively ( thoothukudi Sterilite or the ongoing Vizhinjam protests give you a hint), think sama, dama (we are here), bheda (we need to get here) and danda upayasas.
It is one thing to make economic deals with Chinese as a sovereign country but its another when you stick it to your next door neighbor by allowing military ships. Lines need to be drawn early and clearly for puppies before they bite you. Hard threats need to be part of the process and occasional follow ups to prove them.

omaebakabaka

This forum is too obsessed with bombing and stuff, I wonder what is the average age of the users.
If grown men are talking about bombing shit at short notice than I have to wonder what is wrong with them. If it's teenager than it's understandable.
Age has nothing to do, this forum has too many softies that think "strategically" and not like we achieved anything big with that eternal waiting game. One has to get into a fight occasionally to make a point and it applies both to individuals and countries when it is necessary. Some of us on this forum probably are less inclined to tolerate repeated bs when it happens around you in personal life, therefore going for more active stance around little pups that don't have discretion aka SL/Nepal/BD/Maldives/Malayasia.

HeinzGud

Country flag
when was it offered to GoI?
and how could it have been offered when civil war was going on?
Why can't it be offered? The port was located at Hambatota in deep South. Far away from War zones.

Kumata

Country flag
I said this few days back and guess what.. gota is back home...😂 😂 🤣 🤣

will be interesting to see how our MOE Babus react and what happens to ongoing aid.. I believe we are into a black hole... if it was me, I would I would help them so they remain floating.. same time increasing maritime security to ensure no happiness index fellas land on my shores seeking asylum. what a traversery that north / west we have porkies ready to seek asylum, east rakibool, s have anyways infiltrated big time... now south Lankans are ready... :frusty::frusty::frusty:

Vinash

Country flag
We don't need their verbal thanks. What we need is concrete action against China. Just say we do not support China in any conflict against India and we will deny access of Chinese ships to any of our ports.

That is all we want. Is that so hard to say?
That won't happen.

Lankans see India as a Dog that barks but won't bite vs China which is a dog that bites.

Nepalese made this Dog comparision famous and Lankans were using same analogy on their forums.

Blademaster

Poke the meekest dog and it will bite. Someone should tell the Lankans that because if the next crisis hits Sri Lanka, India will not help but intercede to prevent China from gaining any foothold on the island.

Vinash

Country flag
Poke the meekest dog and it will bite. Someone should tell the Lankans that because if the next crisis hits Sri Lanka, India will not help but intercede to prevent China from gaining any foothold on the island.
Are you 100% sure about this part?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
We don't need their verbal thanks. What we need is concrete action against China. Just say we do not support China in any conflict against India and we will deny access of Chinese ships to any of our ports.

yes, it is hard to say. if they say it, well and good. if not, obviously there is a bridge that needs to be straightened.
china has been their benefactor since about a decade, at a time when the west abandoned them for human rights violations. as jai shankar says, nations operate on self interest.
if India wants SL in it's fold, one has to be willing to pay the price.

this is why i wrote about this dilemma based on first principles. i hope it makes sense on most of prevailing topics.

just a thought
=====
Interplay of paradigms

one thing that is getting apparently clear is that mere existence of a paradigms does not lead to guaranteed outcomes, nor should favourable outcomes by chance be treated as validation of success of a paradigm. there is an amount of time and resource that needs to be put in to even expect an reasonable outcome, depending on the paradigm. and there could be multiple paradigms operating simultaneously, some essential some nice to have, never the less all requiring attention.

Wrong strategy would be to leave it fate, if a favourable outcome is perceived to be imperative. of course it could be the case that one needs to prioritise paradigms based on resource available, as long as it is understood that outcome will be delayed since dedicated effort has been delayed.

and then there is a case of competing paradigms between friends or foes, whoever is putting in efforts is more likely to see outcomes, as compared to the one who is not investing any effort into it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
yes, it is hard to say. if they say it, well and good. if not, obviously there is a bridge that needs to be straightened.
china has been their benefactor since about a decade, at a time when the west abandoned them for human rights violations. as jai shankar says, nations operate on self interest.
if India wants SL in it's fold, one has to be willing to pay the price.

this is why i wrote about this dilemma based on first principles. i hope it makes sense on most of prevailing topics.
the expectation that SL should not side with china, is not so different from murican expectations that India should not side with Russia.

HeinzGud

Country flag

There won't be any concrete action against China.

India has to deal with on their own terms.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles