Sri Lanka Watch, News and Discussions

omaebakabaka

when was it offered to GoI?
and how could it have been offered when civil war was going on?
Offered or not, taken or not.....India should have threatened to bomb the port if they let the Chinese enter with military ships. Who begs if the other party does not understand the sensitivities of big power rivalry.....no war would have ever taken place in history if everyone is so permissive as India and entire world would be colonized as easily as us.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Offered or not, taken or not.....India should have threatened to bomb the port if they let the Chinese enter with military ships. Who begs if the other party does not understand the sensitivities of big power rivalry.....no war would have ever taken place in history if everyone is so permissive as India and entire world would be colonized as easily as us.
where are these notions of false bravado coming from?

Kumata

Country flag
TBH, I also remember hearing about this offer or murmurs too in media... hoping my memory is serving me correctly but as usual... it was turned down...

Kumata

Country flag
The current president is from a different political party,is pro-west and is a neo-liberal and has stood against the Rajapaksa's and defeated his elder brother in elections. They are political rivals. When he was in power before they moved to a pro-US stance,said they would work with the UNHRC and there was criticism of Chinese loans,etc which caused some rebukes from Chinese officials. But the west didn't actually help so they had to humiliating go back to China which helped the younger Rajapaksa to get into power.
one thing common in politicians across the world. is that they don't care for idealogies or parties for that matter. they are only interested in Chair.

irrelevant is who is liberal or neo.. it, 's all hogwash we build in ourselves to justify the actions..

Let us see.. my prediction is in another year's time rajapaksa, s will again be calling the shots... right now also, and they are but behind the scenes...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Kumata

Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
think offer was made around the time SL Defaulted on payments & and handed over port to China.. around 2016 - 17... there was no civil. war at that time..
hambantota story starts in 2003.

Jimih

Country flag
think offer was made around the time SL Defaulted on payments & and handed over port to China.. around 2016 - 17... there was no civil. war at that time..
I believe it was offered to us first, thats why I asked @HeinzGud as he is a Sri Lankan himself.

Can't say about the exact timeframe.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I believe it was offered to us first, thats why I asked @HeinzGud as he is a Sri Lankan himself.

Can't say about the exact timeframe.
it can't be such a mystery that if such an official offer was made, it has not been recorded anywhere.

omaebakabaka

where are these notions of false bravado coming from?
What false bravado, hard diplomacy consists of carrot and stick. Twitter statements mean shit....they are playing hardball and we are unable to prevent.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
What false bravado, hard diplomacy consists of carrot and stick. Twitter statements mean shit....they are playing hardball and we are unable to prevent.
when did GoI ever use stick in past 20 years in foreign policy domain ?
there has to be some precedents in the past to assume that GoI will take an aggressive posture.

omaebakabaka

when did GoI ever use stick in past 20 years in foreign policy domain ?
there has to be some precedents in the past to assume that GoI will take an aggressive posture.
Correct, I expected different from BJP government. What is the point of being a 5T economy and can't even influence a bankrupt country that is stone throw's away from us. Total pussy footing and not to my taste individually speaking meaning I can't make sense of what BS this supposed to be nationalist government with full majority does. Soft nationalist govt leads to extreme leftist forces that will bring crap that lasts till eternal like what Congis did when they retained population that wanted a country but ended up staying and thriving and taking over natives.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Correct, I expected different from BJP government. What is the point of being a 5T economy and can't even influence a bankrupt country that is stone throw's away from us. Total pussy footing and not to my taste individually speaking.
my advice, let go of these notions of bravado when it comes to India's foreign policy. it doesn't matter which party is in power.

aggressive posture of countries take years of build up, they don't happen just like that. just like in military, foreign policy too has an escalation ladder.

Blademaster

my advice, let go of these notions of bravado when it comes to India's foreign policy. it doesn't matter which party is in power.

aggressive posture of countries take years of build up, they don't happen just like that. just like in military, foreign policy too has an escalation ladder.
Especially when dealing with a superpower and a rising soon to be a superpower. Observe the law of butterfly and law of unintended consequences.

omaebakabaka

I disagree with this, India needs the opposite of what you are saying. It worked for China but that strategic patience and cosmic alignment is not good for India especially global situation will turn to chaotic and reset of existing food chain order is already being questioned. Lot of examples of countries that punch higher than they are capable....Yogiji is perfect example of what can happen to a "given up" state like UP, same can happen to India on world stage with good passive aggressive policy. SL is as easy as it gets, atleast Nepal has China on the other side.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I disagree with this, India needs the opposite of what you are saying. It worked for China but that strategic patience and cosmic alignment is not good for India especially global situation will turn to chaotic and reset of existing food chain order is already being questioned. Lot of examples of countries that punch higher than they are capable....Yogiji is perfect example of what can happen to a "given up" state like UP, same can happen to India on world stage with good passive aggressive policy. SL is as easy as it gets, atleast Nepal has China on the other side.
looks like you are unable to grasp what i said earlier.

yours and my prescriptions for India's foreign policy mean zilch nada zero.

omaebakabaka

looks like you are unable to grasp what i said earlier.

yours and my prescriptions for India's foreign policy mean zilch nada zero.
That I know or for that matter anyone on this forum really matters about anything, I do not favor the tone of intellectual strategic nonsensical feel in the air when all you need is brute hardpower display to gain respect around the little puppies. All it takes is scare one crow, whole crowd control works on this premise.

But as a pravar reciting conscious santan adherent, I do not think Modiji's legacy would be clear as he is not setting the direction on anything that can't be erased easily with one term of leftist at center. I still respect his measured approach and not issuing frequent opinions about things but I think he has truly become soft and we need to get someone with more guts even at the cost of making some mistakes aka Yogiji as I can't think of anyone else.

ovalpiston

Country flag
That I know or for that matter anyone on this forum really matters about anything, I do not favor the tone of intellectual strategic nonsensical feel in the air when all you need is brute hardpower display to gain respect around the little puppies. All it takes is scare one crow, whole crowd control works on this premise.

But as a pravar reciting conscious santan adherent, I do not think Modiji's legacy would be clear as he is not setting the direction on anything that can't be erased easily with one term of leftist at center. I still respect his measured approach and not issuing frequent opinions about things but I think he has truly become soft and we need to get someone with more guts even at the cost of making some mistakes aka Yogiji as I can't think of anyone else.
Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on one's perspective) , this "brute hardpower display" is contained by economic and geopolitical implications. Srilanka is an independent, sovereign nation, despite its basket case economy, we can at best lean on them to safeguard our interests but we cannot threaten and definitely not bomb their port because they signed a deal with the Chinese. Even US has tempered its expectations post Iraq debacle and now tries to use its political and economical muscle to force nations tow its line . We need to buy influence and think creatively ( thoothukudi Sterilite or the ongoing Vizhinjam protests give you a hint), think sama, dama (we are here), bheda (we need to get here) and danda upayasas.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles