Sri Lanka Watch, News and Discussions

here2where

tacit understanding with army chief for the leader of opposition to assume power to keep democracy show running, arrest rajapaksas and install a figure head as FM and agree to all IMF conditions is the only way out of this mess.

india must 'influence' things.

notaname

Country flag
tacit understanding with army chief for the leader of opposition to assume power to keep democracy show running, arrest rajapaksas and install a figure head as FM and agree to all IMF conditions is the only way out of this mess.

india must 'influence' things.
Isn't India already doing it? Tai is negotiating on behalf of srilanka with IMF last we heard, there must be many things going on right now which are not getting to know due to all these noises.

IndianSpiderman

Country flag
Does center possesses guts to overpower didi?
I guess not , mudi no indira
Funny that you mention Indira in this context. It was her government that passed the unconstitutional IMDT act, which made it impossible to identify and deport Bangladeshis for over two decades (until it was struck down by the Supreme Court).

here2where

Isn't India already doing it? Tai is negotiating on behalf of srilanka with IMF last we heard, there must be many things going on right now which are not getting to know due to all these noises.
We must be SEEN doing things. Its our feking backyard. Literally another southern state. Project power by being in the thick of action to bring about political normalcy. Involved overtly in negotiations. Instead of restricting to just supplying diesel and supplies.

Dharmocrat

Country flag
I see another curious point.

There are a lot of peacefuls in SM replying to Indians and others Commenting on SL. Using buzzwords like " people power " etc..
We also see them on thr ground.

I think the peaceful are taking advantage of this crisis to mainstream themselves, you know, make themselves into a legitimate " stakeholder" for any future negotiations.

Tuco

Country flag
I see another curious point.

There are a lot of peacefuls in SM replying to Indians and others Commenting on SL. Using buzzwords like " people power " etc..
We also see them on thr ground.

I think the peaceful are taking advantage of this crisis to mainstream themselves, you know, make themselves into a legitimate " stakeholder" for any future negotiations.
I noticed that too, around 80% replies for the tweet from our embassy is from peacefuls. Interesting even in the mob violence videos one can find one or two them with their long nighties. I think they are trying to mainstream and get some concessions.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
what are the chances that mob rule will result in clash of sinhala and tamil grps ??

Dharmocrat

Country flag
what are the chances that mob rule will result in clash of sinhala and tamil grps ??
No chance. Modi will plug his Danda up their asses if there is any of that sort of action against Tamils. And Lankans will not take that risk because of their current dependance on India.

However, some external actor paying locals to stage provocations can not be ruled out.

Roshan

Country flag
I see dire time waiting for Srilanka. This spree of violence is not good for reset its economy badly needs. The tourism industry needs to be up and running quickly and by doing this meaningless violence they have scared off the tourists from the island for a long time to come. Once people lose respect for the authority, it becomes very very hard to rebuild that. And a land without law and order can never be a good investment destination.

I don't see any leadership either who can be talked to for controlling the spread of violence.

Srilankan army should and must take control immediately. It is beyond what mere cops can handle.

India should tread carefully.
Tourism being affected is part of the reason they are where they are. It was putting a coat of varnish on the whole thing to make it look better than what it was.

Knowitall

High chances.
If their military continues with their violence India should step in and establish a permanent military presence in sri lanka.

The thing with countries like sri lanka is that no matter what you do they will always pit you against someone else to come out on top. Its a small nation syndrome and in all honesty is understandable to a level.

It is up to the big countries to establish their influence properly. We don't see the US fucking around in SA because they have a proper permanent presence there. Similarly if things start to escalate India needs to establish a permanent military foothold and solve this issue once and for all.

Sri lanka is too close to India to be playing dual games. Send in the military open a few more consulates and establish a permanent presence and end this nonsense once and for all.

This ofcourse is only possible if the Sri lankan military cracks down heavily on either the lankans or tamilians.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles