Sri Lanka Watch, News and Discussions

scatterStorm

Country flag
Wondering if Muslims of #Pakistan and #SriLanka will wear skirts and cross instead of hijab to show their solidarity like people of New Zealand wear Hijab and Muslim Cap to show solidarity with Muslims after attack on Mosque in Christchurch area of New Zealand. #PrayforSriLanka

Nothing beats the ironic moment caught on camera. Even the gods are nervous. This is sick man.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
How are you mate... I was off this platform for quite some time now. I am glad to hear from you too.

We still don't know what had happened. Highly probable that this was carried out by some Islamic nutcases.
Nice to know of your well being.

I have actually not understood one thing !
If the attacks were a retaliation for Candy riots then Sinhala should have been the targets.
But why Churches ? Why christians ?
It appears that they wanted an anti Christian attack as part of big global Islamic fundamentalist response.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think a fair investigation and trial of criminals involved is difficult in current Sri Lanka. Likely intelligence inputs were not acted upon. There may be no political will even after the blasts.

This event will dent SL economy at least in the short term. Tourism industry will be seriously affected. I guess this is what jihadi wanted.

Methinks that SL will not be considered safe for quite some time as jihadi get bolder.

garg_bharat

Country flag

If the attacks were a retaliation for Candy riots then Sinhala should have been the targets.
It appears that they wanted an anti Christian attack as part of big global Islamic fundamentalist response.
It is pretty obvious if bombers are affiliated to Islamic State. It is likely Syria returned ISIL members.

HeinzGud

Country flag

No this is not in retaliation for the Kandy incident. This is a whole new type of attack driven by Salafi-Jihadi mindset. Also they might have chosen the Catholic community because they are the least arrogant community in the country plus the killing of Catholics might make their message felt in the Western nations.

There is also an element of preemption because with in several months time a new President (most probably the hard liner Gotabhaya Rajapaksha) is to be elected. The jihadists might have thought that GR might hinder their operations.

I think you know that I am a ex-catholic who lives exactly mid distance between Negombo and Colombo in the Catholic belt. My family used to visit the Kochchikade church sometimes.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
No this is not in retaliation for the Kandy incident. This is a whole new type of attack driven by Salafi-Jihadi mindset. Also they might have chosen the Catholic community because they are the least arrogant community in the country plus the killing of Catholics might make their message felt in the Western nations.

There is also an element of preemption because with in several months time a new President (most probably the hard liner Gotabhaya Rajapaksha) is to be elected. The jihadists might have thought that GR might hinder their operations.

I think you know that I am a ex-catholic who lives exactly mid distance between Negombo and Colombo in the Catholic belt. My family used to visit the Kochchikade church sometimes.
Yes Heinz I agree with you.
A lot of facts have come to light after the attack.
Two very rich brothers and families organising and perpetrating such heinous crimes against an imaginary enemy is very disturbing. Salafi Wahhabism Jihadi ideology of fundamentalist Islam having transcended idea of commitment to the feelings for community, culture and nation and holding religious beliefs and goals as supreme is a grave warning to all of us.

It is going to create deep suspicion between communities,
Another disturbing fact is the participation of the religious leader in terrorism and his indoctrination in Pakistan.
Moors and Bergers are not a persecuted Muslim community in Sri Lanka. People amongst them committing terrorist acts as retaliation to an international event is what Sri Lankan must be worried about.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Yes Heinz I agree with you.
A lot of facts have come to light after the attack.
Two very rich brothers and families organising and perpetrating such heinous crimes against an imaginary enemy is very disturbing. Salafi Wahhabism Jihadi ideology of fundamentalist Islam having transcended idea of commitment to the feelings for community, culture and nation and holding religious beliefs and goals as supreme is a grave warning to all of us.

It is going to create deep suspicion between communities,
Another disturbing fact is the participation of the religious leader in terrorism and his indoctrination in Pakistan.
Moors and Bergers are not a persecuted Muslim community in Sri Lanka. People amongst them committing terrorist acts as retaliation to an international event is what Sri Lankan must be worried about.
My two cent is obviously one should not trust a Muslim however good he is. The good Muslim is the one who will become a Jihadi fuckweed later.

Sri Lankan radical Muslims are not trained in Pakistan as yours. Our bastards take the lessons from countries like Qatar or Syria.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
My two cent is obviously one should not trust a Muslim however good he is. The good Muslim is the one who will become a Jihadi fuckweed later.

Sri Lankan radical Muslims are not trained in Pakistan as yours. Our bastards take the lessons from countries like Qatar or Syria.
Hanz, I too have seen and spoken to lots of them. They would agree with you on all things but in the last he would declare that "he is a Muslim, and that is the last".

I really do not understand how having fought for thousands of years with whatever they could lay their hands on, why can't the religions settle down and leave each other at peace. I think Capitalism, Left Liberalism, market economy and globalisation all have failed to make satisfactory reconciliation.

One party's tolerance is leading to increased intolerance on the part of the other generating conflicts. In your country there are alot of Catholic NGOs. I hope they play a positive role.

How are your STF guys doing ?

HeinzGud

Country flag
Hanz, I too have seen and spoken to lots of them. They would agree with you on all things but in the last he would declare that "he is a Muslim, and that is the last".

I really do not understand how having fought for thousands of years with whatever they could lay their hands on, why can't the religions settle down and leave each other at peace. I think Capitalism, Left Liberalism, market economy and globalisation all have failed to make satisfactory reconciliation.

One party's tolerance is leading to increased intolerance on the part of the other generating conflicts. In your country there are alot of Catholic NGOs. I hope they play a positive role.

How are your STF guys doing ?
STF is doing fine. They have a prominent role these days because the current PM distrusts the standard military sects

Sehwag123

According to ET : Srilanka ignored intelligence information from India because they thought we were trying to create rift with Islamabad

Brahmos_ii

Country flag
Sri Lanka commissions ex-Chinese navy frigate

• The Sri Lanka Navy has commissioned an ex-People's Liberation Army Navy frigate
  • The vessel will be operated as an offshore patrol vessel and deployed mainly for maritime patrol duties
The Sri Lanka Navy (SLN) has commissioned a frigate that was formerly in service with the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN).

The vessel, which has been renamed SLNS Parakramabahu (P625), was commissioned on 22 August in Colombo in the presence of the Sri Lankan and Chinese governments and military leaders. It was previously in service with the PLAN as the Jiangwei I (Type 053 H2G)-class frigate, Tongling (542).

The warship was handed over to Sri Lanka in June 2019, with the vessel arriving in Colombo the following month. It has an overall length of 111.7 m, an overall beam of 12.4 m, and displaces 2,286 tonnes at full load.

An official video of Parakramabahu 's commissioning ceremony indicates that the vessel has been handed over to Sri Lanka with its primary weapon, a twin 100 mm naval gun system, intact.

The video also confirms the presence of two Type 76A 37 mm cannon turrets in the forward section just ahead of the bridge, with two further turrets each on the port and starboard sides.

Seemingly absent, however, are missile launcher systems, or close-in weapon system (CIWS) turrets.

When contacted via a phone call by Jane's on 23 August, the SLN's media co-ordinating office in Colombo declined to comment on these systems, citing confidentiality regulations.

Cartel Boss

Country flag
Sri Lanka May Soon Ban Cow Slaughter

Sri Lanka may soon ban cow slaughter. The ruling Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP), which won a two-thirds majority in the parliamentary elections last month, has decided to ban slaughtering of cows across the island nation. However, the import of beef is allowed.

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa discussed the issue with his SLPP Parliamentary group on Tuesday.

Cabinet spokesperson and Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwella was quoted in local media as saying that Rajapaksa has submitted a proposal and that he had said he "hopes to ban cattle slaughter". He was also quoted as saying that Rajapaksa would decide when he would submit the proposal to the government.

Rambukwella's statement was confirmed by multiple official sources.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
US blacklists Sri Lankan army chief over 'gross human rights violations' - Republic World
https://www.republicworld.com/world...ts-sri-lankan-army-chief-shavendra-silva.html

is it cuz he didnt bat for USA soon after the srilankan church attack..
possibly yes!
Well, the USA also considers India "only next to Iraq" in religious freedom. Being a conservative Christian elitist country, it is likely to show disdain and have a prejudice against countries that vehemently try to preserve their native faith and cultures.

The USA is no one's friend. No matter whether it is dealing with China or handling enemies of Sri Lanka or other peaceful countries in the subcontinent, the USA will always be against them.

Look at the list of countries that the USA condemns:

1- Sri Lanka
2- Myanmar
3- Thailand
4- Nepal
5- India

None of these countries has native cultures that have attacked anyone around the world; in fact, they are standing up for themselves. But the US intelligence-Church nexus works on colonial-era strategies. If they won't conquer physically, conquer economically. If the direct approach fails, conquer through introducing religion and manipulate emotions.

Anglo-Saxon countries are the most dangerous when it comes to full strategic engagements.

@HeinzGud it is good to see you active after a long time. Even I just got active some days ago after a long and busy schedule.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Well, the USA also considers India "only next to Iraq" in religious freedom. Being a conservative Christian elitist country, it is likely to show disdain and have a prejudice against countries that vehemently try to preserve their native faith and cultures.

The USA is no one's friend. No matter whether it is dealing with China or handling enemies of Sri Lanka or other peaceful countries in the subcontinent, the USA will always be against them.

Look at the list of countries that the USA condemns:

1- Sri Lanka
2- Myanmar
3- Thailand
4- Nepal
5- India

None of these countries has native cultures that have attacked anyone around the world; in fact, they are standing up for themselves. But the US intelligence-Church nexus works on colonial-era strategies. If they won't conquer physically, conquer economically. If the direct approach fails, conquer through introducing religion and manipulate emotions.

Anglo-Saxon countries are the most dangerous when it comes to full strategic engagements.

@HeinzGud it is good to see you active after a long time. Even I just got active some days ago after a long and busy schedule.
Yeah... was busy lately.... I'm thinking of visit Delhi after all this virus pandemic is over. Maybe we could meet?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@HeinzGud Is this female Greta Thunberg & LIC Priya (India) clone from LK?
=========
Police questions young environmental activist: Little Bhagya unmoved by undemocratic forces

HeinzGud

Country flag
@HeinzGud Is this female Greta Thunberg & LIC Priya (India) clone from LK?
=========
Police questions young environmental activist: Little Bhagya unmoved by undemocratic forces

Probably a political stunt

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles