Sri Lanka expels 161 foreign Muslim clerics, including Indians

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
We do but sadly 99% of missionaries are Sri Lankans....
Mission trips to Lanka are going strong. Christian population has silently pushed up to 7.5%. and predicted to be majority by mid century. The more you persecute the more it grows.

ejazr

Ambassador
@ejazr

I don't know about the America... but I can surely say that in 2011 WC match Pak vs SL, when Pak won crackers were lit to celebrated the movement by the Muslim communities living in Colombo... this action was heavily criticized by many people including some Muslims...
I think the characterization would be that "some" Muslims did so, not all. And almost all would have criticized the action as being wrong. Infact, the leading religious body of Sri Lanka Jamiyyathul Ulama which is a religious organisation called for the same.

Anybody who is fairly aware of Islamic law or sharia law will know that there is majority consensus among scholars that following the law of the land and being loyal to the oath of citizenship is considered mandatory. Afterall, muslims did not launch a speratist struggle in Sri Lanka so I don't understand why there would be hostility to Muslims there.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, because of intolerance.[/i]

Check the genesis.

I don't agree entirely with that, sir.
You are entitled to your view.

However, if one looks around the world, it indicates a situation where there is confrontation in many countries, and now Sri Lanka!

A news which in essence is dealing with the issue of Sri Lankan Muslims internal ideological clashes, was used to instigate and provoke a completely unrelated Islamic community vs Buddhist community contention; in this post;
That is right, It is a Sri Lankan issue.

But the underlining rationale is similar to wherever there is this confrontation.

One cannot separate the rationale from the ground realities in Sri Lanka.

That post had nothing to do with the article as the article clearly pointed out that;
One cannot help but one can not be myopic when addressing issues.

1.) Muslims were not being "targeted", rather the Sri Lankan Muslims themselves were unhappy with this organization which they considered radical.

2.) The news had nothing to do with converting Buddhists.
Once again, one cannot live in mindset of a goldfish bowl existence. One has to understand issues given some empiricals.

It goes a long way in showing that the intolerance in our world isn't the trait of radical Muslims alone.
That is true that intolerance is not the sole prerogative of the radical Islamists.

However, who started the use of world wide terror as a weapon?

Obviously, there will be a reaction.

Sire, the issues are all there! The difference is all in what you choose to see and not to see.
I am not a Sire. I have no serfdom at my command.

Isn't it the way things are - that all see what they chose and not see what they do not wish to see?

I have already started to see the vilification against Christians in India beginning to prop up, though I will admit, the intolerance is still in its infancy.
Christians are a benign community that adjusts with all. It is the US evangelists who are giving the Christians a bad name. Having been a Churchgoer at one time, I too am horrified at these Bible bashers and fire and brimstone types. That is where the things are getting skewed. Heard of Benny Hinn?

It won't be long that some crackpots decide to "punish" innocent and defenceless Christians in some totally unrelated corner of India for the deeds done by the Christian crackpots in Assam or Tripura (NLFT, NSCN, MNCA, Baptist Church of Tripura, you take your pick). This will only spark off another cycle of young Christians taking towards their religion in more fervour and things go downhill from that point.
There will be no such backlash for the Christians since the Hinduvta stalwarts are not strong out there. It is all a question of numbers. Visit the NE to see it for yourself.

Also, note how Gilani has come out in favour of the Christians after the padre was ostracised by the illegal Sharia court in J&K. Christians, as I said, are benign and there work in support of the community is noticed and appreciated. It is just that the Bible thumpers are giving it a bad name.
Kashmir separate leader decries Sharia court decision to banish Christians
Kashmir separate leader decries Sharia court decision to banish Christians | Christian Persecution Update India

If you are sure, Brigadier, that such confrontations will only remain limited to Muslims, than please do explain to me the Khandamal riots of 2008.
The largest community in Kandhamal is the Kandha tribe. Most Kandha tribal people follow tribal religions or Hinduism. However, the socio-economic and political landscape is dominated by the second largest community non-tribal Panna who are mostly Christian.

Social conflict generated by economic disparity and envy.

Intolerant and Radical Muslims, Christians, Hindus or Sikhs feed off each other and make each other stronger. It is only the Moderates who become the targets and end up on the loosing side.
That is the sad commentary caused by Vote Bank Politics!

The moderates, especially in India, have raised their voice each and every time some crackpot Mullah has said something intolerant or stupid. The only difference is that you choose to give more importance to what a crackpot Mullah says, than to what the moderates say!
The Moderates raise their voice and that is about all.

What is the Govt doing?

Appeasing every radical voice. Why the Mullahs alone? Must we forget the Togadias and Bal Thackerays or Owassis and Syed Shabuddins?

It is not too far away from the Pakistanis, who label Bal Thackeray to be the sole voice of the Hindus and the supreme ruler of India!
Indeed they will when we have an impotent Govt that chases shadows and tilt their lances at windmills like Don Quixote.

You choose to give more importance to leaders who better fit your agenda.
My agenda is simple - We are Indians and stop dividing us!

I'm not a Champion of Peace, far from it!

Rather, just someone who tries to call spade a spade.
I presume that is what everyone feels he is!

Even the Wagah candle-men!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Mission trips to Lanka are going strong. Christian population has silently pushed up to 7.5%. and predicted to be majority by mid century. The more you persecute the more it grows.
Isn't that the weird part of Christianity that it grow if you persecute it? Are you a christian missionary?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Anybody who is fairly aware of Islamic law or sharia law will know that there is majority consensus among scholars that following the law of the land and being loyal to the oath of citizenship is considered mandatory. Afterall, muslims did not launch a speratist struggle in Sri Lanka so I don't understand why there would be hostility to Muslims there.
Couple of quick points:

Anybody who is fairly aware of Islamic law or sharia law will know that there is majority consensus among scholars that following the law of the land and being loyal to the oath of citizenship is considered mandatory.
Syed Shabbudin holds contrary views.

He says we are Muslims first and then Indians!

Being a Muslim is supreme!

So, is the fact that ummah means - An ummah is a community or a people. It is used in reference to the community of Believers or Muslims across the globe because they are brothers and sisters in Islam.
http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=ummah

Further,

The phrase Ummah Wahida in the Qur'an (the "One Community") refers to all of the Islamic world unified. The Quran says: "You [Muslims] are the best nation brought out for Mankind, commanding what is righteous (Ma'ruf, lit. "recognized [as good]") and forbidding what is wrong (Munkar, lit. "unrecognized [as good]")"¦" [3:110].

Two, one does not have to be separatists to have religious and communal issues. Therefore, it would be odd to believe that because the Muslims were not in the LTTE, they or the Buddhists are sanitised from problems.

Even though of the same religion, the Shias and Sunnis have their own problems of political ascendancy!

ejazr

Ambassador
Islamic missionaries told to declare nature of their visit

Islamic missionaries visiting Sri Lanka for preaching have been advised to declare the purpose of their visit when applying for visas, Immigration and Emigration Controller Chulananda Perera said yesterday.
He said the directive was given after representations were made by Islamic groups following the order for 161 Islamic missionaries to leave the country as they were violating visa procedures.

The Sunday Times last week reported that 161 Islamic missionaries had been ordered to leave the country because of all of them had obtained tourist visas, but were involved in preaching in various parts of the country. They included missionaries from Pakistan, Bangladesh, the Maldives, Britain, Yemen, Israel, Jordan and Iran.

The Muslim Council of Sri Lanka, an umbrella organisation representing more than 100 groups, and a representative of the Tabligh Jamat group last Monday met the Immigration Controller. Also in attendance were representatives from the Muslim Cultural Affairs Department and officials form the Religious Affairs and Defence Ministries.

"They explained that the Tabligh Jamat is an organisation incorporated by act of Parliament. Our advice was that persons obtaining visas should declare the purpose of the visit," Mr. Perera said.Meanwhile, of the 161 persons who were told to leave the country, 127 have already left.

He said the remaining 34 had been advised to declare their travel itinerary to ensure that there was no misunderstanding. "They can remain in the country until their visas expire," he said.

Minister A.H.M. Fowzie defended the visit of the Islamic missionaries saying they had been visiting the country since 1985. "They have never provoked violence and were not spreading extremism. They are a spiritual group," he said.

ejazr

Ambassador
Couple of quick points:

Syed Shabbudin holds contrary views.

He says we are Muslims first and then Indians!

Being a Muslim is supreme!
As I stated in my quote, "loyalty to your country" is mandated by shariah. Are you Indian first or Muslim first is two different things altogether. Islam is not a country its a religion. I can be a Muslim, Indian, Hyderabadi all at the same time. What matters is wether you will be loyal to the nation for example at a time of war.

So, is the fact that ummah means - An ummah is a community or a people. It is used in reference to the community of Believers or Muslims across the globe because they are brothers and sisters in Islam.
http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/index.php?word=ummah

Further,

The phrase Ummah Wahida in the Qur'an (the "One Community") refers to all of the Islamic world unified. The Quran says: "You [Muslims] are the best nation brought out for Mankind, commanding what is righteous (Ma'ruf, lit. "recognized [as good]") and forbidding what is wrong (Munkar, lit. "unrecognized [as good]")"¦" [3:110].

Two, one does not have to be separatists to have religious and communal issues. Therefore, it would be odd to believe that because the Muslims were not in the LTTE, they or the Buddhists are sanitised from problems.

Even though of the same religion, the Shias and Sunnis have their own problems of political ascendancy!
I am not sure what the problem is with using Ummah -Muslimah to define the community of Muslims. Here Ummah does not refer to the modern nation state, or the idea of forming some sort of unified Islamic caliphate.

And Ummah in verse 3:110 according to context refers to Ummat-Muhammed. That is everyone who came into this world from the Time of prophet Muhammed till "the last day". And this includes everyone Muslim and non-Muslim.

This is going into theology but I just want to explain the use of Ummah in the Quran. Even though it is translated as "nation", it is more accurate to call it community because nation is conflated to it being related to nation-states.
The communities are divided based on the prophets who came before Muhammed. So People from the time of Moses to Jesus would be Ummat of Musa. People around the time of prophet Yusuf/Joseph would be part of his Ummah and so on.

Muhammad being the last prophet is given a special status because now the work of prophet-hood or calling people to God and "good things" (like be honest, give charity e.t.c.) will now be done by the people of his community. Hence they are the best of all other "previous communities" . So the comparison is between Prophet Muhammad and the communities of previous prophets here. The chapter itself is called "Family of Imran" which discusses the stories of a number of Prophets and their Ummats or communities.

It is similar to how the Bene Israel or Jewish community are selected as the chosen people in the Torah and form a global Jewish community with their right to return to the promised land. Similarly, Hindus all over the world form a global Hindu community and naturally have connection and concern with Hindus in other countries without compromising loyalty to their host countries. The form it takes can be benign and helpful while others can use the concept for promoting political agendas and violence. It really depends on how an individual wants to articulate this concept.

I certainly can't say that all Muslims are saints and there will be model citizens. This is simply not true. But I am only objecting to characterization that somehow Muslims are more likely to be disloyal or violent than others, particularly in Sri Lanka. And while no one can predict the future, from the past history, Muslims as a monolith group don't seem to be a threat to Sri Lanka or liable to be disloyal.

ejazr

Ambassador
I think there is question; no doubt thanks to OBL and the AlQaeda and the whole terrorism issue on how threatening the Muslim community is perceived. Its not widespread or problematic as some claim, but it lingers in the back of the mind. I can't really complain against it and I completely understand and empathize with this. But I think it would be not fair if I try to explore and debate this viewpoint. For example, we saw how the Maoists death are ten times those of terrorists violence in the last five years, but many others were surprised when I said that we suffer more Maoists afflicted deaths than from terrorism.

If we look at statistics on terrorism in the US and Europe it is also revealing.
For example, a CNN report on FBI statistics for all terror attacks in the US since 1980 - 2005 indicated that only 6% are Islamic extremists
Study: Threat of Muslim-American terrorism in U.S. exaggerated - CNN.com
FBI — Terrorism 2002/2005

Ironically, according to FBI stats, there are more terror attacks by Jewish extremists(7%) than Islamic extremists but that is another story.

Similarly in Europe, less than 1% acts of terrorism int he period 2006-2011 were committed by Islamist extremists. You can check out the reports for each here on the Europol website here.
https://www.europol.europa.eu/latest_publications/2

Most of the terrorists attacks where Separatists, left wing or right wing extremists.

Another example, the United States has been at war for almost its entire history except 21 years. That is, out of its 214 years of existence since 1776 till today, the US, a deeply Christian and openly religious nation, has been at war for 91% of its life. A timeline of major wars in US history will bear this out. But clearly people don't see Christianity as a violent faith despite this.

I think its a perception baggage that keeps building over time, particularly post 9/11 that has added. The caricatures of Muslim, particularly in European and Republican debates is very similar to how the Nazis use to talk about Jews.

Here are some real quotes that you can replace Jews with Muslims and Torah with Quran and see how this is being played out today. I am just showing how the extreme undertones are now becoming mainstream without any effort to see if there is any truth in them. Julius was a celebrated "intellectual" and writer in Germany during the WWII era. He was never involved in the holocaust directly but was convicted of hate crimes in the Nuremberg trials.

1 Muslims/Jews have a religious duty to conquer the world.
"Do you not know that the God of the Old Testament orders the Jews to consume and enslave the peoples of the earth?"
Julius Streicher.

2 The Left/liberals enables Muslims/Jews.
"The communists pave the way for him (the Jew)."
Julius Streicher.

3 Muslims/Jews cannot be trusted because their religion allows them to "lie"
"We may lie and cheat Gentiles. In the Talmud it says: It is permitted for Jews to cheat Gentiles."
From The Toadstool, children's book published by Julius Streicher.

4 Recognizing the true nature of Muslims/Jews can be difficult because they "hide" their "sinister" motives
"Just as it is often hard to tell a toadstool from an edible mushroom, so too it is often very hard to recognize the Jew as a swindler and criminal."
From The Toadstool, children's book published by Julius Streicher.

5 Islamic/Jewish texts encourage violence against non-believers.
"'And when the Lord your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally: men and women and children, even the animals.' (Deuteronomy 7:2.)."
Biblical verse quoted by Julius Streicher in Der Stuermer.

6 Christianity is peaceful while Islam/Judaism is violent.
"The Jew is not being taught, like we are, such texts as, 'Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself,' or 'If you are smitten on the left cheek, offer then your right one.'"
Julius Streicher.

7 Muslims/Jews are uniquely violent.
"No other people in the world has such prophecies. No other people would dare to say that it was chosen to murder and destroy the other peoples and steal their possessions."
Julius Streicher.

Sources for the Julius quotes is here
Julius Streicher

The "Muslims have a problem with everyone" does not hold true when you look at hard statistics rather than go with news reports and perceptions. For example, the statistics from the FBI and Europol show what the threat of terrorism from Muslim extremists really is.
Similarly in Sri Lanka, the govt. fought a an insurgency with Leftists Tamil Hindus for 20+ years, not Muslims. Of course, there are cases where there is an explicit Muslim extremist involvement like the insurgency in Kashmir where Pakistan backed Muslim extremists and militant outfits are waging an insurgency and calling it Jihad against India.

At the same time, you have the vast majority of the Indian Muslim community including the religious Muslim community that openly came out and declared that Kashmir is a part of India, that there is no Jihad applicable here and that Muslim soldiers can loyally fight to defend their country against aggression as part of their faith. I think this is more crucial test of loyalty than say the amorphous "cricket test".

The sad thing is that an news report about a bunch of Muslim groups who were preaching WITHIN the Muslim community and were asked to re-enter on a religious visa is somehow being conflated to some Jihadi nexus and Muslim-Buddhist conflict when there is nothing of that sort.

The fact is that Muslim majority countries will continue to face the most violence from Muslim extremists, not non-Muslim countries. Countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan face the largest share of such attacks from Muslim extremists. Al Qaeda has killed man more Muslims than non-Muslims as well. It is imperative that Muslims tackle extremism which they are doing. The only thing is that they do it WITHIN the Muslim community because that is where the problem is. IF people follow the Arabic or Urdu press and the work done in tackling extremism and extremist ideology, people will know how much effort is being done on this. Of course there are some black spots like Pakistan where they have still not tackled the ideology seriously. So it is much much more important for Muslims themselves to extricate the cancer of terrorism as well as its ideology for their own sake.

HeinzGud

Country flag
it would be odd to believe that because the Muslims were not in the LTTE
Muslims were recruited by the LTTE specially from welikanda area in the east coast.. also there were Sinhalese LTTE members...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"loyalty to your country" is mandated by shariah.
Could you give where it is written so in the Quaran?

It is not the interpretation I have heard from what is popularly called in Muslim circles as 'scholars'.

Ummah does not refer to the modern nation state, or the idea of forming some sort of unified Islamic caliphate.
Since it does not refer to the modern nation state, the issue of a nation beyond Islamic ummah, does not arise. It must be remembered that it is stated that whatever was to be known has been stated in the Koran. That is why Islam is not amenable to changing to the modern societal realities. In fact Ijtihad was done away with in the 10th Century because it was felt none had the scholarship to interpret what was already stated in the Quran and the Hadith.

One has to also understand what encompasses Dar ul Harb and Dar ul Islam. And why is there this difference. Within these two lies the verities of Islamic thought.

Such a thought process is not there in Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism or any other religion.

No religion can claim that they have only good and honest people and so no one is stating that the Muslims are claiming so; at least not the educated ones. Though you do hear of eulogies given to even scoundrel that he is not a scoundrel because he is a pious Muslim, who prays five times a day!

Wife of Seattle jihad mass-murder plotter: "He just good Muslim. Perfect Muslim. He pray five times a day."
Wife of Seattle jihad mass-murder plotter: "He just good Muslim. Perfect Muslim. He pray five times a day." - Jihad Watch

This is what upsets others. What has undertaking prayers absolves a criminal and makes him good!

No other religion uses reciting prayers as an defence that absolves all crimes!

You find this phrase everywhere. Try PDF also.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think there is question; no doubt thanks to OBL and the AlQaeda and the whole terrorism issue on how threatening the Muslim community is perceived. Its not widespread or problematic as some claim, but it lingers in the back of the mind. I can't really complain against it and I completely understand and empathize with this. But I think it would be not fair if I try to explore and debate this viewpoint. For example, we saw how the Maoists death are ten times those of terrorists violence in the last five years, but many others were surprised when I said that we suffer more Maoists afflicted deaths than from terrorism.
The issue is not to compare who is the greatest terrorists in the world.

And, anyway, the statistics is confined to the US, which in any case, is most cautious about Muslims entering their country. They did not even spare the President of India, such was their fear, even though the this act or not allowing anyone into the US whose name is Khan is despicable!

One should have a look at the world statistics and the ongoing Islamic confrontations that are going on. Pakistan is an ideal example of the chaos and where the scent of bloodletting is not satiated adequately and so they are turning on the Muslim themselves!

Hardly a good example of Islam being a religion of peace. Indeed, it might be so. Why are the Muslims not taking up cudgels against those who are giving Islam a bad name in the similar fashion as they condemn so vociferously and with great exposure the War on Terror?

Notwithstanding, Islam claims it is a religion of peace and that jihad is being misunderstood. Yet, the Imam are always hectoring against all others and in Islamic countries, nothing is being done to them. Therefore, the message going out to the non Islamic world is not very comforting and hence there is the slow growing animosity.

The sad part is that these radicals and Imams are getting fat sitting in their Mosques/ abodes/ hideouts and enjoying the goodness of life, while the poor average and innocent Muslims are bearing the brunt.

It is really most unfortunate that good law abiding and peaceful average Muslim is bearing the brunt of the killings, plaintively and most heart wrenchingly defending Islam when their co religionists are the ones who are bent on giving Islam a bad name!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One more thing that one must ponder over why Islam is getting an image of being aggressive and not accommodating as other religions are.

While the Muslims demand in foreign countries that all their citizenship rights and religious rights are given to them, even if goes against the host country's social and cultural milieu, they do not show the same tolerance in their country to recognise and allow similar concessions to non Muslims of their country.

Take any Muslim nation. Sharia prevails and it is applicable to all even if they do not believe in Islam and have their own social, cultural and religious values.

Therefore, if there is a growing hostility against Islam, there are reasons that Islamic followers themselves have brought upon themselves.

I am not anti Islam since I have Muslims amongst my relations, but then it is sheer agony at the way Muslims are bring unhappiness onto themselves for no good reason.

Last edited:

Manas7

In Islamic countries Muslims strictly forbid propagation of any other religion , but in countries where they are in minorities they want full religion freedom-to practice and preach their religion.

Time has come to haul Islam for intoralce it preaches and archic practice and religious rigidity it followers submit to . Isalm is a threat to freedom and democracy everywhere.

Tronic

Check the genesis.
It reads however one wants it to read. Like all other religious texts.

You are entitled to your view.

However, if one looks around the world, it indicates a situation where there is confrontation in many countries, and now Sri Lanka!

That is right, It is a Sri Lankan issue.

But the underlining rationale is similar to wherever there is this confrontation.

One cannot separate the rationale from the ground realities in Sri Lanka.
And those ground realities are that there is no confrontation in Sri Lanka. I link to ejazr's post:

http://defenceforumindia.com/subcon...-161-foreign-muslim-clerics-4.html#post408421

One cannot help but one can not be myopic when addressing issues.
Sir, I've got tremendous respect for you despite our huge differences of worldview and thought, and with this respect, I ask you not to be so myopic on such issues! I know our worldview can never meet, but can just request that you not to use any random platforms to rally against Muslims. This article obviously was not a good launching point against voicing your discomfort against Muslims.

Once again, one cannot live in mindset of a goldfish bowl existence. One has to understand issues given some empiricals.
I understand the issues very well, sir. I also understand for a fact that a witch hunt against 1.5 billion Muslims isn't going to be solving any issues either.

Sir, I feel your empiricals, if you take them as such, are deeply flawed!

But than again, if you didn't think the same for me, we wouldn't be having this debate.

That is true that intolerance is not the sole prerogative of the radical Islamists.

However, who started the use of world wide terror as a weapon?

Obviously, there will be a reaction.
First ever known terrorist group in recorded history would be the Jewish Sicari Zealots. The first ever terrorist group in modern Middle East were the Zionists, primarily Irgun. They were the first ones indulging in bombing marketplaces, hotels, buses and other mass civilian places! The Japanese Red Army was the first organization to introduce suicide attacks (or in Islamist terminology "Fidayeen" attacks) to the Middle east. And it were the LTTE which perfected suicide bombings like no other and their black tigers were known to be the most lethal efficient bombers in the world. Prior to the current Afghan war, the LTTE had conducted more suicide bombings than every single terrorist group in the world, combined. The Muslims are but new kids on the block if you're talking terror. Even this phenomena is only due to one major state player; Pakistan.

Isn't it the way things are - that all see what they chose and not see what they do not wish to see?
If you were living in Pakistan or any country in the ME, I may have believed that; but in the free world, sir; I call that paranoia!

Christians are a benign community that adjusts with all. It is the US evangelists who are giving the Christians a bad name. Having been a Churchgoer at one time, I too am horrified at these Bible bashers and fire and brimstone types. That is where the things are getting skewed. Heard of Benny Hinn?
Sir, every community is benign to start with. The problem may be the US evangelists, but those same "problem" will again be seen as the sole voice of Christians, and it will be the normal everyday Christians who will be the ones getting blamed and attacked.

There will be no such backlash for the Christians since the Hinduvta stalwarts are not strong out there. It is all a question of numbers. Visit the NE to see it for yourself.
Sir, I'm not worried about the Christians in the NE. The hatred against Christians has been spewing out of a totally opposite corner of India in the last few years. Maybe you missed the RSS and other right-wing Hindu group's views on the Christians. Last I checked, Mr. Thackeray wanted to wipe out all the Christians (along with the Muslims) from India. The right wing nutjobs are not going to be travelling to NE to do so, for there, they might actually be faced with real gun totting Christian militants. Defenceless Christians sitting right in their backyard seems to be more of their cup of tea! :rolleyes:

Also, note how Gilani has come out in favour of the Christians after the padre was ostracised by the illegal Sharia court in J&K. Christians, as I said, are benign and there work in support of the community is noticed and appreciated. It is just that the Bible thumpers are giving it a bad name.
Kashmir separate leader decries Sharia court decision to banish Christians
Kashmir separate leader decries Sharia court decision to banish Christians | Christian Persecution Update India
Funny how Gilani seems less crackpot than Thackeray.

The largest community in Kandhamal is the Kandha tribe. Most Kandha tribal people follow tribal religions or Hinduism. However, the socio-economic and political landscape is dominated by the second largest community non-tribal Panna who are mostly Christian.

Social conflict generated by economic disparity and envy.
VHP is not a Kandha organization, it is pan-India, and it is the organization which called for attacks against Christians after a VHP leader was killed. That killing was carried out by the Maoists, but the VHP still chose to attack the Christians. Hmmph!

That is the sad commentary caused by Vote Bank Politics!
That commentary is indeed caused by vote bank politics continuing to pander to extremists. If that was not the case, such commentary would not be required as it would be those goddamn religious extremists on the loosing side, not the moderates, as it is today!

The Moderates raise their voice and that is about all.

What is the Govt doing?

Appeasing every radical voice. Why the Mullahs alone? Must we forget the Togadias and Bal Thackerays or Owassis and Syed Shabuddins?

And indeed, it is the bloody government which is at fault!

The government panders to extremists, kicks out the Taslima Nasreens just so some religious crackpots don't loose their sleep.

And ofcourse, no one is forgetting the Togadias and the Bal Thackerays either, for those dogs too will have their day! Just wait in line for the next government and than the see-saw falls to the other side!

You are doing nothing but picking which side of the see-saw you would like to stand by.

In all this, as I said earlier, it is the Moderates who are dying a slow death.

Indeed they will when we have an impotent Govt that chases shadows and tilt their lances at windmills like Don Quixote.
We have an impotent government, that is one point we can agree on.

So let us agree to blame the government for its faults in empowering the nutjobs, not the Muslims.

My agenda is simple - We are Indians and stop dividing us!
Sir, I feel that somewhere your views actually hamper you from projecting this "we are Indians" thinking of yours.

You seem to be of the thinking that a good Indian, is a Hindu Indian. I know this since for long, every time you have debated my religion with me, you have either directly (on WAB), or indirectly, labelled me as an anti-Indian, "extremist Sikh", or even a "Khalistani" for the simple fact that I would not subscribe to your view that Sikhism is a sect/branch of Hinduism!

You clearly, atleast as it appears in your views; go beyond the Indian identity and see patriotism merely through a religious prism.

I presume that is what everyone feels he is!

Even the Wagah candle-men!
To each his own.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Muslims were recruited by the LTTE specially from welikanda area in the east coast.. also there were Sinhalese LTTE members...
Heinz only dreams of LTTE while walking, Talking, eating, sleeping and even in Muslim issues...
Shameless ! yes the moors and Muslims are LTTE sympathisers and you do not want any body else except Sinhalas> that is Fascism to the core !!

HeinzGud

Country flag
Heinz only dreams of LTTE while walking, Talking, eating, sleeping and even in Muslim issues...
Shameless ! yes the moors and Muslims are LTTE sympathisers and you do not want any body else except Sinhalas> that is Fascism to the core !!
your above post shows how much you hail LTTE..... look what I have said in my post! and also I have the full right to talk about LTTE because it's my country's issue involving my people.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
your above post shows how much you hail LTTE..... look what I have said in my post! and also I have the full right to talk about LTTE because it's my country's issue involving my people.
While talking about your country you assume that it is a Sinhala land which it is not. SL has all kinds of people and it is their country too. That includes, the Moors , Burgers, the Muslims and first of all the Tamils.

But you advocate Sinhala Fascist views which is going to aggravate the problem rather than solve it. I never knew Buddhist could also be Fascists.

HeinzGud

Country flag
While talking about your country you assume that it is a Sinhala land which it is not. SL has all kinds of people and it is their country too. That includes, the Moors , Burgers, the Muslims and first of all the Tamils.

But you advocate Sinhala Fascist views which is going to aggravate the problem rather than solve it. I never knew Buddhist could also be Fascists.
yes it is Sinhala land... and if it is not prove it! most of all who told you that SL is only for Sinhalese! dude you are more and more exposing your LTTE mentality..... you should try to stop it... cuz nothing is impossible!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles