Soldier Technology : India's biggest soldier modernization event

Rage

DFI TEAM
Soldier Technology
29-30th April, 2010
Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi

The Event

Soldier technology is India's biggest Soldier Modernization event aimed at modern technology infusion into the Armed Forces and the making of Indian Combat ready for the challenges of Modern Warfare.

It covers the entire spectrum of Soldier Modernization including: Night Vision, Advanced Weapons, Advanced Body Armor, Battlefield Management Systems, Soldier Communication Systems, Helmet Mounted Displays, Infantry Combat Vehicles, Sensors and &c...

The summit also deals with future requirements for infantry and paramilitary modernization programmes.

The event is:

- India's only dedicated conference on Soldier Modernization

- An ideal platform to penetrate the on-going high-tech Army project- FINSAS

- A dedicated, business-focused show where one can network with current and future customers and suppliers.

- An event covering the entire spectrum of Soldier Modernization: including Night Vision, Tactical & Secured Communication Systems, Battle Field Management Systems, Enhanced Body Armour, GPS Systems, Rugged Computing, Advanced Combat Simulation & Training.

Overview

With rapid advancements in technology, the nature of warfare is also changing. Future wars are likely to be short, intense and characterized by greater transparency, increased accuracy and lethality with a far higher tempo of activities.

To survive and operate in the charged paradigm of Fourth Generation Warfare, the infantry soldier needs to imbibe the qualities that enable him to function as an advanced lethal platform that serves both as sensor and a shooter and fits seamlessly into the overall arms fighting hierarchy. While Indian Defence Forces are in the process of enhancing the capability of their soldiers and equipping them with the lethality, protection and situational awareness to meet the challenges of both conventional and next generation warfare, they not currently exist in any significant platforms. To that end, the Indian Army is are also in the process of adopting new technologies to meet the operational objectives set out for the infantry.

Soldier Modernization

Concomitant with the broader concept of Revolution of Military Affairs, the Future Infantry Soldier as a System (F-INSAS) is a revolutionary soldier modernization programme for the Indian Army (IA). Essentially based on the concept of modular force, it encapsulates the army’s vision of a future battlefield scenario wherein the individual infantry soldier forms an important node in a wider communications network and in real-time shares battlefield information and situational awareness with his buddy soldiers, sub-units and the overall C4I2 (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Information and Intelligence) network.

Increasingly popular with a host of modern armies around the world, this concept has grown with the need to provide the soldiers significant lethality, survivability, mobility, battlefield command, awareness, sustainability and combat effectiveness. The threat of rural insurgency in India, combined with the high-tech nature of modern warfare and terrorism, have laid special onus on the Indian Army to equip and train its soldiers and special operations forces in digitized environments, so as to enable commanders to correctly assess ground situations in counter-insurgency operations, make split-second decisions, coordinate troop movements and counter enemy fire power with increased precision and accuracy.

Soldier Technology Summit will bring together decision makers shaping the modernization of India's dismounted forces, including top military figures from India's Infantry Directorate, senior managers from BPR&D, leading researchers from the D.R.D.O., procurement and R&D figures from DPSUs and representatives from international equipment manufacturers globally, all under a single roof.

http://www.soldiertechindia.com/about_us.html

Last edited:

san

Army shall change the helmet for infranty. The present helmet is WWII vintage & it hardly gives any protection. Also not at all user friendly. Though patka is little bit user friendly, light weight & give limited protection against 7.62 rounds still it is not comparable to the helmets used by western army. Helmets is very important & army should make it mandatory to use it during opration time. In North East, I have seen a lot of soldiers wearing black cloth on their head in search & destroy mission. Don't know why sombody doesnot tell them to wear patka, i think it should be minimum requirment untill something better comes out.

Last edited:

notinlove

Army shall change the helmet for infranty. The present helmet is WWII vintage & it hardly gives any protection. Also not at all user friendly. Though patka is little bit user friendly, light weight & give limited protection against 7.62 rounds still it is not comparable to the helmets used by western army. Helmets is very important & army should make it mandatory to use it during opration time. In North East, I have seen a lot of soldiers wearing black cloth on their head in search & destroy mission. Don't know why sombody doesnot tell them to wear patka, i think it should be minimum requirment untill something better comes out.
Patka gives protection against 7.62 mm :O ...did you mean what i think you meant?

gogbot

Helmets is very important & army should make it mandatory to use it during opration time. In North East, I have seen a lot of soldiers wearing black cloth on their head in search & destroy mission.
Helmets are heavy and restricting.

When troops taking part in special missions want to decrease weight to move more freely and carry more ammo. as well as reduce their silhouette.

Helmets are often the first to go. as well as rations and foods stuffs

Rage

DFI TEAM
Helmets were never intended to protect against direct-incident bullets, but were primarily aimed at reducing heat and ricochet wounds from shrapnel.

Still, san has a point. You'd be surprised how much combat mortality can be reduced via simple head protection against shell fragments. The huge number of lethal head wounds that were inflicted upon the French Army after all led them to introduce the first of the modern steel helmets in the summer of 1915.

san

Patka gives protection against 7.62 mm :O ...did you mean what i think you meant?
I donot know what you want to mean but I have said limited protection. I think you know what the word "limited" means.

san

When troops taking part in special missions want to decrease weight to move more freely and carry more ammo. as well as reduce their silhouette.

I understand that helmet are heavy and may be restricting but it may be live saving sometime ( it was happend for several cases) & give the soldier to fight his next battle. Bye the way the US mariens & almost all the NATO forces wear helmet in Afgan COIN operations. Their must be some logic, am I right

xebex

Well the thing is, without protection for head, what's the point of carrying too much ammo? one bullet is enough to put the entire special operation in jeopardy, isn't it?.
IMO, unfortunately, Indian army isn't giving much attention to helmets as yet. Hopefully, the new FINSAS project will take care of it.

gogbot

I understand that helmet are heavy and may be restricting but it may be live saving sometime ( it was happend for several cases) & give the soldier to fight his next battle. Bye the way the US mariens & almost all the NATO forces wear helmet in Afgan COIN operations. Their must be some logic, am I right
Well the thing is, without protection for head, what's the point of carrying too much ammo? one bullet is enough to put the entire special operation in jeopardy, isn't it?.
IMO, unfortunately, Indian army isn't giving much attention to helmets as yet. Hopefully, the new FINSAS project will take care of it.
Honestly, get your facts right

Its one thing when troops don't have helmets its another thing entirely when they don't want them.

If you expect every spec ops unit to carry a full combat load, they will walk out of the dam room.

Helmets and body armour are primarily worn by troops on the battle field for Protection against Shrapnel .
their effectiveness against bullets is just an upside of the fact.

But troops also have to carry all that weight of heavy armour and helmet, and then they have to carry Ammo, kit and Gun.
How fast can you run and turn with all that stuff. weighing you down.

Sure in a actual war or battlefield they are very necessary due to the Chaos of it all. Shrapnel can come flying from anywhere.

But sometimes when engaging in small scale Insurgency gin fights, most units don't want to weighed down, they want to be quick on their feet and silent with their movements.

Having a helmet on can make that one second difference in turning to face your enemy. Because the fact remains that even with all the amount of protection you can get , the one getting shot will always be the one to end up dead.

In the Af-Pak conflicts the Taliban use Explosive with Shrapnel and also have crude mortar weapons.
given the rix of shrapnel they may have decided on the helmets as must.

But even then i can bet , there are Spec ops teams the operate with out them

wearing an Helmet or otherwise is a tactical decision. It has its own befits and disadvantages .
If troops really wanted a helmet they can always wear one.

But it come down to standard procedure and equipment available,
How heavy are helmets that can stop a 7.62x39mm bullet.
Is it worth all the weight. The units on the ground make that decision.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
I'd like to address other aspects of this supposed symposium. What sort of other 'advanced body armour' or 'sensors' would you like to see?

I'd like to see something on the lines of the Interceptor Body Armour for instance developed for the US Army. The thing is a combination of an Outer Tactical Vest, with embedded kevlar fiber, and inner ballistic plates, with additional lightweight ambidextrous, modular components for protection at the deltoids, torso and upper arm. Incidentally, the ballistic plates are said to offer a significantly greater degree of protection against 7.62mm armor piercing ammunition.

I don't know if any Indian companies are producing high-performance polyethylene fibers (HPPE), such as Spectra or Dyneema, which are produced by Honeywell and DSM- in contrast to standard Aramid fibers- such as kevlar or Twaron.

Additionally, I'd like to see 'sensors' produced in the medium-long run that are networked with the IRNSS / GAGAN when it's launched. As also those for detecting incoming far-off projectiles, with possibly range, bearing and elevation thereof. As well as, a passive acoustic system for the detection of mortar and rocket fire, which is very feasible. I realize this is countin' me chickens even before the hen's been impregnated (but hey, these are what these forums are for), and I believe candidate technical maturity has to be ascertained now and possible distributors nurtured to ensure production and quantitative feasibility.

Last edited:

Agantrope

What all we equip our soldiers, above all we need their mental stronghold and they should not be exposed to the Psychological warfare and mental disintegration. I would better suggest also to train our soldiers for yoga and meditation and make them mentally strong apart from physical vestment to make than still stronger.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles