Software related Thread

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Microsoft launches Windows 7, eyes PC sales rebound

Microsoft Corp launched Windows 7 on Thursday in its most important release for more than a decade, aiming to win back customers after the disappointing Vista and strengthen its grip on the PC market.

The world's largest software company, which powers more than 90 percent of personal computers, has received good reviews for the new operating system, which it hopes will grab back the impetus in new technology from rivals Apple Inc and Google Inc.

"It's the first really significant release of Windows in a decade," analyst Brendan Barnicle of Pacific Crest Securities told Reuters Television. "Given the missteps around Vista, people really questioned Microsoft's relevancy in the technology space. So this is a critical first step for Microsoft regaining that credibility."

The new system -- which is faster, less cluttered and has new touch-screen features -- comes almost three years after the launch of Vista, whose complexity frustrated many home users and turned off business customers.

The success of Windows -- which accounts for more than half of Microsoft's profit -- is crucial for Chief Executive Steve Ballmer to revive the company's image as the world's most important software firm.

"I have to say I'm chomping at the bit," Ballmer told an audience of Microsoft customers and partners in Toronto on Wednesday, adding that he is ready to make sales calls himself on Windows 7.

Sales won't immediately impact the bottom line of Microsoft, which is expected to post a lower quarterly profit on Friday.

CHEAPER THAN VISTA

Microsoft is charging $199.99 for the Home Premium version of Windows 7, or $119.99 for users seeking to upgrade from older versions of the operating system -- well below comparable prices for Vista.

It also has a range of offers in conjunction with retailer Best Buy and PC makers such as Dell Inc and Acer Inc.

For the first time, shoppers will be able to buy PCs loaded with the software direct from a branded Microsoft store, with the first of a planned chain set to open on Thursday in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The U.S. holiday season will soon reveal whether consumer PC sales get a kick from Windows 7, but success with corporations -- the key to Microsoft's financial power -- won't be clear until next year, analysts say.

"Come June of next year, we are going to get the real indication of the business-to-business marketplace," said Mark Simons, chief executive of the U.S. arm of Toshiba Corp, the world's No. 5 PC maker, on Wednesday.

Early indications are that companies are getting ready to switch to Windows 7.

"People like it," said Michael Capone, chief information officer for payroll services firm ADP, pointing out its quick start-up time and good user interface.

"There is a line outside my door from people wanting to get into the pilot program," said Capone, at a technology conference in Orlando, Florida, on Wednesday.

His company typically waits at least 18 months to begin broad deployment of a new version of Windows, said Capone, but this time he could be more aggressive.

"In the surveys that we've done about half the CIOs (chief information officers) indicated that they would just use Windows 7 on existing PCs as opposed to replace the entire hardware," said Barnicle. "That would be very positive for Microsoft but maybe not so positive for the PC manufacturers."

SHARES UP

Good reviews, and a surge in technology stocks across the board, have lifted Microsoft shares about 80 percent since March. They hit their highest level in just over a year on Wednesday, closing at $26.58 on Nasdaq.

"This is a better operating system -- it does the job," said Lance Ulanoff, editor-in-chief of PCMag.com. "They've certainly got it a lot more right than they did with Vista."

A range of new PCs incorporating the software in all shapes and sizes from Hewlett-Packard Co, Dell and others are set to be unveiled on Thursday, in the hope of reigniting consumer spending before the holiday shopping season.

Global PC sales rose 2.3 percent in the third quarter compared to a year ago, according to research firm IDC, after two quarters of declines.

Market-watchers are betting on further recovery of computer sales next year, as the economy improves and businesses replace old machines, but opinion is divided on how strong the impact of Windows 7 will be.

"What's going to be really interesting is whether this spurs a hardware replacement cycle or it's just a Windows replacement cycle," said Barnicle, who estimates that more than 820 million PCs across the world run Windows.

Microsoft launches Windows 7, eyes PC sales rebound - Yahoo! India News

Last edited by a moderator:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
We're still 24 hours away from the launch. That report came in early.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
It is launched in Australia, the same price as mentioned in 1st post. I think it is better to operate with touch screen panel then the normal ones. To upgrade older system to windows 7 i.e from xp and vista; the task will be big mammoth and one will loose many costlier old softwares even after backing it up. May be new machines will be good to use with win 7.

How to shift from XP to Windows 7

How to shift from XP to Windows 7

Microsoft's much-awaited operating system Windows 7 is finally here. After the disappointing performance of Vista, Microsoft is banking high on Windows 7 to give it the much required fillip in the PC market.

Two-year old Vista failed to make a dent in the market. The OS' biggest rival turned has been not an OS from a rival company or from the Open Source community, but Microsoft's own operating system XP. According to Forrester Research (done few months ago), 86 per cent of corporate PCs continue to rely on the eight-year-old Vista predecessor Windows XP.

However, most analysts believe that it is time that XP users too start planning their migration path to Windows 7. Here's a guide for XP users to help them smoothly migrate to the new operating system, Windows 7.

Windows 7 packs both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs. 64-bit operating systems can handle large amounts of memory roughly 4GB RAM. However, not all computers are 64-bit capable.

To check, right click on My Computer and click Properties. If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed, then you are running the 32-bit version of Windows XP. If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP and can run the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

To check for the Windows 7's compatibility with your computer's hardware, devices, or programmes that might affect the its installation, download and run the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

It will list any issues that it finds and gives recommendations on what to do before you upgrade to improve your PC's compatibility with Windows 7.
Microsoft recommends using Windows Easy Transfer, a free download, which will help users move their files and settings to another location before they install Windows 7. Later they can use Windows Easy Transfer again to move files and settings back to PC after Windows installation is completed. However, Windows Easy Transfer doesn't move programmes. Users will have to reinstall their programmes manually after Windows 7 installation is complete. Windows Easy Transfer will provide you with a list of programmes that you are currently using with Windows XP.

In case you don't go for Windows Easy Transfer, you will need to copy files manually to an external location, such as CDs, DVDs, an external hard disk, or a USB flash drive before installing Windows 7, and then move them back after Windows installation is completed.

To get started, connect your PC to the Internet so that you can get installation updates during the process. Select either the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc, depending on your system requirements.

Enter the Windows 7 installation disc and Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click Start, click My Computer, open the Windows 7 installation disc on your DVD drive, and then double-click setup.exe.

On the Install Windows page, click Install now. On the 'Which type of installation do you want?' page, click Custom. Choose the partition containing Windows XP (this is often the computer's C: drive), and then click Next. (Do not select your external USB hard drive.) In the Windows.old dialog box, click OK.

After the installation is over, users can run Windows Easy Transfer again and move files and settings back to the computer.

Be sure you run Windows Easy Transfer before you reinstall your programmes. This is because Windows Easy Transfer moves your files back to where your old programmes will expect them to be when you reinstall them.

Ensure that your external hard disk or other storage device that contains Windows Easy Transfer migration file is connected to the computer. Click the Start button, click Computer, and under Hard Disk Drives, double-click your storage device. Browse to the location where you saved the Easy Transfer file, called Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer, and double click the file.

On the `Choose what to transfer to this computer' page, a user can decide how the user accounts from Windows XP are transferred to Windows 7.

Once your files and settings are back on your computer, you can reinstall your programmes and check for new or updated drivers.

Windows Easy Transfer provides a report detailing the programmes you used in Windows XP that you might want to reinstall. To reinstall your programmes, you need to use the installation discs or setup files.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/quickiearticleshow/5152200.cms

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I've been using the RTM for over a month now. I just have to buy a copy and use its key to reactivate. At 6700 Rupees Win7 Home Premium is a great buy considering it's $199 in the US.

Will be upgrading PC next month so i'll be giving Windows 7 a good look. Considering what i'v been hearing about the problems with vista, i'm glad i didn't upgrade to it.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Mozilla Firefox Turns Five

Mozilla Firefox Turns Five

Everyone who is more than familiar with the term 'the Internet', may have come across, or has even been affected by Mozilla Firefox, one of the most popular web-browser software. The cross-platform, open-source web-browser was born out of the Mozilla project, after practical, and minimalist simplification of the user interface. This, coupled with good performance for the stature of an Internet Explorer alternative, being safer against spyware, popups, and malicious addon software, quickly became popular, and part of the web-centric pop-culture.

Firefox has also helped shape several things in the connected IT industry. It replenished the credibility of open-source model of software development, and forced content providers to adhere to open-standards. Firefox today turns five years old, which is 'a long time on the Internet', as its team puts it. The SpreadFirefox community have rolled out a portal celebrating the event, it can be found here.

prahladh

Respected Member
I used mozilla only up till version 2. But current versions 3 & above are too slow. I currently use chrome or IE.

desozapeaterr

What programs? Can't you do without?

What's indispensable to you?
I like foxit, its a really easy Pdf reader that's not a patch as big or hungry as the dreaded adobe
Firefox - I can't browse without it
ImgBurn - love at first sight for burning whatever DVD's
KMPlayer -watching whatever movie without broking your Windows with Mega-Ultra-Crap-codecs
Comodo firewall - if you don't have a router probably is the best software firewall
IrfanView - do whatever you want with your pictures
7z - amazing (at least for multimedia content) archiver
Notepad++ - What Wordpad? What Notepad?
SpeedFan, RealTemp, RivaTuner, CPU-Z, LinX, prime95, GPU CapsViewer, Wireshark - system utilities.
What about you?

prahladh

Respected Member
Wow! Lot of softwares I didn't try. Will try today all of these.

A.V.

winrar for me for sure cant do without that
google chrome as well very important

raghavi

firefox
vlc
adobe reader 10 and also flex working on it .
media monkey - for editing images
youtube downloader
notepad++
bit torrent
and many more especially gtalk and yahoo messenger with multi messenger facility

Pintu

I am using firefox from last 2 and 1/2 years , and this is the only browser I use , really very satisfactory.

Regards

StealthSniper

I am using firefox from last 2 and 1/2 years , and this is the only browser I use , really very satisfactory.

Regards

Yeah I have used Firefox for a long time and it's just easier to use and has a lot of cool features in it.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Anti-Virus software! Which and why?

No body likes to pay instalments of their Life-Insurance policy, but yet they do, and knows, why they should. I think, same is the case with Anti-Virus software and their subscriptions. We need them, but probably not like to pay for them in quantity. Today there are thousands of Anti-virus software on sale, bundled with features and most importantly, ready to lighten your pocket.

It's certain that all most all of you must be using one of many. So, i invite members to share and let other know about their choice, and yeah, obviously, with reason for their 'forced-love', haha!

Looking forward to your participation.

Rahul.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Firfox is my default Browser and for my Mail I use Thunderbird. Both score points over IE and Outlook/WindowsMail.

The only grouse is that some of the Web sites, still insisit on IE and do not open on Firefox.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles