Sniper rifles

salute

.........................................................................................................

Hari Sud

Country flag
I mean made in India / assembled by OFB? Both are imported...

Vidhwansak, OFB copy of Denel 50 caliber anti material rifle. It doubles as a sniper rifle as well as an anti sniper rifle.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I am asking which Sniper rifle OFV makes / assembles..

You are showing me Land -on ?? ( I mean London...in UK)

Why can not you people be straight or say no I do not know rather than showing me Land - on ??

Hari Sud

Country flag
Oh bap.. AMR of 24 Kgs is neither AMR nor sniper rifles.. kabhi to sudhar jao..It is bloody mockery..
Vidhwansak is an excellent anti material rifle, used by BSF. Our screwball army rejected it as too heavy. They had rejected it because they wanted Barrett at $17,000 a piece and other parafarnilia extra. Today they are still without AMR, except the original import of Denel NTW-20 is in use. It weighs close to 32kgs, but highly effective.

Barrett weighs only 16 kgs but costs three times as much as Denel and about five times more than Indian copy of Denel.

This guy Bhadra needs to be fixed. "Ise Sudharna Jaroori hai

charlie

Country flag
Well barrett cannot be that expensive, only guns that can cost around $17000 are custom made guns or some AI and holland & holland (not long range) guns that you get off the shelf.

https://barrett.net/pdfs/Price-List.pdf

I think i wrote a similar post as this one before too mentioning about barrett

pmaitra

Vidhwansak is an excellent anti material rifle, used by BSF. Our screwball army rejected it as too heavy. They had rejected it because they wanted Barrett at $17,000 a piece and other parafarnilia extra. Today they are still without AMR, except the original import of Denel NTW-20 is in use. It weighs close to 32kgs, but highly effective.

Barrett weighs only 16 kgs but costs three times as much as Denel and about five times more than Indian copy of Denel.
There is always a tradeoff that is required. The laws of physics will not change as per our whims and fancies.

If we want a fully automatic rifle, then it has to be heavy, because it needs a heavy barrel. If the barrel is light, then it will overheat quickly, and jam. If the barrel is heavy, the rifle will also be heavy.

Similarly, if we want a rifle that fires large calibre and/or over a long distance, then the barrel has to be heavy. When the cordite/gunpowder explodes, it exerts force in all directions. So, a heavier rifle will have a smaller thud than a comparatively lighter rifle. If we want longer range, we need more cordite in the ammo.

So, if we want a light rifle, we have to sacrifice on range and/or calibre. If we want range/calibre, then we have to sacrifice on the weight.

We have reached a plateau in firearm development. I would like to know about some ground breaking research in bullet shape, or rifle design. AN-94 comes to mind, but it is complicated, expensive and slow to manufacture, and I am not aware of its reliability. Perhaps @marrakesh and @Cadian can inform us on this weapon.

Cadian

There is always a tradeoff that is required. The laws of physics will not change as per our whims and fancies.

If we want a fully automatic rifle, then it has to be heavy, because it needs a heavy barrel. If the barrel is light, then it will overheat quickly, and jam. If the barrel is heavy, the rifle will also be heavy.

Similarly, if we want a rifle that fires large calibre and/or over a long distance, then the barrel has to be heavy. When the cordite/gunpowder explodes, it exerts force in all directions. So, a heavier rifle will have a smaller thud than a comparatively lighter rifle. If we want longer range, we need more cordite in the ammo.

So, if we want a light rifle, we have to sacrifice on range and/or calibre. If we want range/calibre, then we have to sacrifice on the weight.

We have reached a plateau in firearm development. I would like to know about some ground breaking research in bullet shape, or rifle design. AN-94 comes to mind, but it is complicated, expensive and slow to manufacture, and I am not aware of its reliability. Perhaps @marrakesh and @Cadian can inform us on this weapon.
AN-94 is a bit offtopic here.

I'll better post info about ASVK

Another modern Russian weapon, the ASVK anti-materiel rifle, was photographed recently in the hands of an alleged Syrian soldier, seen below. The bullpup configuration ASVK is also chambered for the 12.7 x 108 mm cartridge, and began to be introduced into Russian military service in limited numbers less than two years ago. Although not previously known to have been exported, the ASVK has been documented in the hands of pro-Russian separatists in the ongoing Ukraine conflict in ARES’ latest Research Report.

pmaitra

AN-94 is a bit offtopic here.

I'll better post info about ASVK

Another modern Russian weapon, the ASVK anti-materiel rifle, was photographed recently in the hands of an alleged Syrian soldier, seen below. The bullpup configuration ASVK is also chambered for the 12.7 x 108 mm cartridge, and began to be introduced into Russian military service in limited numbers less than two years ago. Although not previously known to have been exported, the ASVK has been documented in the hands of pro-Russian separatists in the ongoing Ukraine conflict in ARES’ latest Research Report.

Thank you for posting.

OT:

Watermelon in Russian is "arbuz" (арбуз), and in Hindi, it is "tarbuz" (तरबूज).

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

This guy Bhadra needs to be fixed. "Ise Sudharna Jaroori hai
Take care of your stupidity first ...
Do you know what is a sniper (rifle) >:shoot:
a 24 kg weapons can never be a sniper rifle .... period. Rifle you call it... Ha Ha Ha..
It rather a heavy gun which is neither sniper nor machine gun :pound: ..... Nanch na jane aangan teda ...:basanti:

pmaitra

Semantics:
material
matériel (actually, matériel de guerre)

The rifles we are referring to are anti-matériel rifles.

After successful trials by BSF, India's 25 kg Vidhwansak was accepted as a sniper rifle by BSF, however, the Indian Army wanted a rifle under 15 kg, and hence, this rifle was not accepted as a sniper rifle. (This link also gives an example of an RFI that is far better, specific, and objective, compared to the vague FRCV RFI which has caused much commotion amongst commentators and enthusiasts.)

Strictly speaking, a sniper rifle is not the same thing as an anti-matériel rifle, and a sniper rifle should be ~15 kg. This number, of course, can vary from force to force.

Last edited:

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
No. No assault weapon, except may be IMI Galil has such a version. Also, Galil is more of a marksman rifle than a sniper ridle.

Sniping requires the rifle to have a long range and to fire a heavy enough round to put down the target with a single shot. INSAS has none of that.
Is draganov an 100% accurate weapon?

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Is draganov an 100% accurate weapon?
Depends on who's shooting it. It is indeed one of the most used sniper rifle among the forces which favoured soviet weapons, including Dragonov.

However, sniping has more science to it and much more art fromvthe part of the shooter than any simple rifle. The round, wind, terrain, distance - everything adds into the final outcome.

The vietcong snipers took enough head with dragonov. However, the word is that it never was the best rifle for snipinng. But it was much more simple and easily maintained, being built around the philosophy of soviet era weapons like AK47, and so very much reliable.

su35

Country flag
No. No assault rifle, except may be IMI Galil has such a version. Also, Galil is more of a marksman rifle than a sniper ridle.

Sniping requires the rifle to have a long range and to fire a heavy enough round to put down the target with a single shot. INSAS has none of that.

Also INSAS is not a rifle meant for perfect shots. It is supposed to be a gener purpose low maintenace low cost indegenous rifle which can shoot in almost all places.
Thanks for reply. What is the difference between sniper and marksman rifle

Global Defence

New threads

Articles