Small arms of India

vampyrbladez

Country flag
500 rifles for Rs. 3.84 crores?

3.84 crores = $ 535,276

So the deal value translates to approximately $ 1,070 per rifle....for a INSAS :facepalm:

Forgive me for asking but...why are we celebrating this blatant rip-off of forces/police depts' capital expenditure?

And INSAS is already in bulk production for long time so the 'price will come down once mass production starts' argument that some OFB fanboys used to justify the exorbitant $1121 price tag for R2 rifle does not have any standing in this instance.

Just in case people have forgotten some points I made previously in this forum aimed at giving a little perspective to this madness...

> US Army buys their FN-made M4A1 carbines for $ 473 a piece.

Granted, the bulk orders give them leeway to reduce the price, but a retail M4A1 from a less name-brand manufacturer (take Palmeto State Armory AR-15s for example) even with the $200 tax stamp for full-auto model, comes in significantly cheaper (around $650-700) than this $1070 that our beloved OFB is charging our Police Depts for what is, quality-wise, a not so great rifle (and that's being generous) with little to no modern features whatsoever.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...lassic-ar-15-rifle-13-5-m-lok-rail-black.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...reedom-rifle-olive-drab-green-5165450007.html

> IA is buying SIG-made 716G2 rifles for $ 990 a pop...which is a 7.62 rifle from another name-brand manufacturer.

I'm sorry guys but if we are really buying INSAS rifles for well over 1,000 dollars a piece that is Exhibit A of why OFB hegemony needs to END, NOW.

++++

Coming to the ammo...I'm assuming the rounds are 5.56x45mm for the INSAS?

151,000 rounds for 78 lakhs = $ 108,635 total value at 71 cents a round - which I'm assuming are Ball ammo (a.k.a FMJ).

A single 5.56 FMJ ball (60-70 grain) in US retail market costs in the neighbourhood of 35 cents. And that's retail...bulk orders usually go down to between 20-30 cents per.

Another rip-off with regard to the Ammunition as well...and all for what is pretty well established to be not-so-great quality of ammo (have heard OFB rounds are notoriously overgassed (powder quantity above spec), and of dubious purity (leading to many malfunctions in the weapon).

:facepalm: please let me know if ive made any errors...I sure hope I have, otherwise it only goes to confirm what I've been saying for long...the Ordnance Factories are RIPPING OFF the taxpayer, sending the CAPEX of everyone from MoD to MHA down the drain, and all the while offering up equipment of below par standards.
For reference MoD is holding up the CAR 816 deal because the rifles cost $1150 a piece vs a SIG 716 costing only $990. The INSAS also chambered in 5.56x45 mm costs $1070 with no full auto and an absolutely horrid design philosophy!

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9131

The first is an MoD-appointed technical oversight committee which has questioned how the weapons chambered for the smaller 5.56x45 mm bullet calibre could be costlier than the SiG Sauer rifle which fires the larger 7.62x51 mm calibre round. Each SiG rifle is believed to cost only $990 while the Caracal 816 costs $1,150 a piece.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/may...my_must_again_wait_more_for_new_carbines.html

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
No, I mean the ofb ones._________________
Dont know. Insas were sold at 22k or 26k INR per peice couple of years back which still was couole of thousands costlier than bulgarian ARM1s. Dont know how they could rifles at almost 4 times that price to police forces

Gessler

Country flag
Dont know. Insas were sold at 22k or 26k INR per peice couple of years back which still was couole of thousands costlier than bulgarian ARM1s. Dont know how they could rifles at almost 4 times that price to police forces
Far as I know, INSAS costing ~25k is history of early 2000s period.

Today price (for Army) is approx. 50-55k.

@binayak95

binayak95

Country flag

Maddy_9UY

Country flag
55k was for the 1B1 variants 3 years ago.

1C variant costs 70k. Bugger me if I know why.
1B1 is made out of stamped steel which is cheaper and easier to produce.
1C is produced from milled steel. So it is going to costlier but the guns would be more reliable.

binayak95

Country flag
Umm, Bullshit? All AKs since the AKM of the late 50s are stamped steel.
So is the MG42. So are the vast majority of military fire arms.

And for 70k you can buy the very best of western firearms. SIG716s, CAR 816s, M27IAR. Take your pic.

We bought Arsenal M41s for cheaper. Like half price.

Exactly the point that we have been making. @Gessler
1B1 is made out of stamped steel which is cheaper and easier to produce.
1C is produced from milled steel. So it is going to costlier but the guns would be more reliable.

Maddy_9UY

Country flag
Umm, Bullshit? All AKs since the AKM of the late 50s are stamped steel.
So is the MG42. So are the vast majority of military fire arms.

And for 70k you can buy the very best of western firearms. SIG716s, CAR 816s, M27IAR. Take your pic.

We bought Arsenal M41s for cheaper. Like half price.

Exactly the point that we have been making. @Gessler
I am not justifying the high price. It could also depend on mass production of rifles. Bulk production reduces the per unit price further. However I am just guessing.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag

Gessler

Country flag
I am not justifying the high price. It could also depend on mass production of rifles. Bulk production reduces the per unit price further. However I am just guessing.
Already addressed this in my original post.

INSAS has been in mass production for what, 20 years now? This argument just doesn't stand.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles