Small arms of India

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Lo and Behlod!

We were thinking that there is this OFB 5.56x45mm Carbine out there,then there is OFB Trichy based 7.62x39mm Carbine out there (copy of Bulgarian AR-M1's carbine variant,of course) and so.

BUT now we have INSAS Excalibur MK.1C based "Carbine" out there from Rifle Factory Ishapore!

View attachment 73433

OFB R-2 is now "Ishapore Assault Rifle"
View attachment 73434

and INSAS Excalibur Mk.1C is Indian Assault Rifle, doesn't I in INSAS stand for Indian already ?
View attachment 73435

View attachment 73437

View attachment 73439

View attachment 73440

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas @ALBY @ghost @Shaitan @LETHALFORCE @LurkerBaba @tarunraju @aditya g @aditya10r @shuvo@y2k10 @Vishalreddy3 @Killbot @rkhanna @ManhattanProject @Vorschlaghammer @Maharaj samudragupt @Flying Dagger @Lonewarrior @WolfPack86 @Haldilal @hammer head @abingdonboy @Unknowncommando 2 @ezsasa @vampyrbladez @porky_kicker @Raj Malhotra @shubham Show and all

So....i was just lurking on internet as usual, and suddenly my antar-aatma told me to search about Astr Defense...Remember that desi SCAR-ish rifle named Indra that was revealed previous DefExpo ?

Anyway, i found out they have finally put a (jugaadu-ish) website of their own so naturally went there at here - https://astrdefence.com/

aanndd as i expected, it was very vague, simple website with one-two pics of their Indra rifle, so i put my haxxor glasses on and started tinkering around with "source" using developers options on browser and look what i found!

These are perhaps most saxxy pics of Astr Defense Indra THAT ARE NOT OUT THERE IN PUBLIC FOR UNKNOWN REASONS 🤷‍♂️

Notice how similar it is to FN SCAR-H except perhaps magazine part,which is AK style nose-in-rock-back pattern, perhaps it feeds from FN FAL // SLR pattern magazines ? if yes then it's a yuge plus considering our stockpile of 1A SLR's mags that we *might be* able to use with this in case it gets inducted in future?

Some detail of the barrel and muzzle brake, seems unfinished at this stage (as upper pic shows some good finish)

Then there was this pic focused around Handguards, looks like they kinda used LEDs to give this effect ?

This pic was under something named "Six Calibers" on their Products page,
hhmm we know from previous DefExpo that they "offered it" (albeit on pamphlets only, so far) in 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO but now it seems there is a plan to offer it in 7.62x39mm at least from the pic and perhaps in 6.8x43mm , 6.5x39mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor as well,making it six different calibers in total ?

Anyway there was this graphic of Astr Defense Indra rifle in 5.56mm NATO as well, looks like there is a plan to offer a ;carbine; or ;PDW; version of same in future,judging from that small graphics on top

NOW BONUS TIME!

Presenting something that's virtually unknown to people,that they kinda showcased in some thumbnail-ish downscaled pic but me bringing the full HD pic using my haxxor skills
*drum rolling*

Astr Defense PDW
*ba-dum-tiss*
Looks like their kaapi of Steyr TMP // B&T MP9 that takes glock mags of 33 rounder capacity ? Perhaps they got this idea after recent Asmi machine pistol was revealed ?

^I fully expect them to reveal these new projects/things in upcoming Defense Expo but still showcased it on their website in brief hhmm

Finally the source, KEEP THE FILES SAVED ON YOUR DEVICES BEFORE THEY ALTER LINKS OR REVOKE PUBLIC ACCESS, also do tinker with the links to see if you can mine some more exotic material there.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas @ALBY @ghost @Shaitan @LETHALFORCE @LurkerBaba @tarunraju @aditya g @aditya10r @shuvo@y2k10 @Vishalreddy3 @Killbot @rkhanna @ManhattanProject @Vorschlaghammer @Maharaj samudragupt @Flying Dagger @Lonewarrior @WolfPack86 @Haldilal @hammer head @abingdonboy @Unknowncommando 2 @ezsasa @vampyrbladez @porky_kicker @Raj Malhotra @shubham Show and all

So....i was just lurking on internet as usual, and suddenly my antar-aatma told me to search about Astr Defense...Remember that desi SCAR-ish rifle named Indra that was revealed previous DefExpo ?

Anyway, i found out they have finally put a (jugaadu-ish) website of their own so naturally went there at here - https://astrdefence.com/

aanndd as i expected, it was very vague, simple website with one-two pics of their Indra rifle, so i put my haxxor glasses on and started tinkering around with "source" using developers options on browser and look what i found!

These are perhaps most saxxy pics of Astr Defense Indra THAT ARE NOT OUT THERE IN PUBLIC FOR UNKNOWN REASONS 🤷‍♂️

Notice how similar it is to FN SCAR-H except perhaps magazine part,which is AK style nose-in-rock-back pattern, perhaps it feeds from FN FAL // SLR pattern magazines ? if yes then it's a yuge plus considering our stockpile of 1A SLR's mags that we *might be* able to use with this in case it gets inducted in future?

Some detail of the barrel and muzzle brake, seems unfinished at this stage (as upper pic shows some good finish)

Then there was this pic focused around Handguards, looks like they kinda used LEDs to give this effect ?

hhmm we know from previous DefExpo that they "offered it" (albeit on pamphlets only, so far) in 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO but now it seems there is a plan to offer it in 7.62x39mm at least from the pic and perhaps in 6.8x43mm , 6.5x39mm, 6.5mm Creedmoor as well,making it six different calibers in total ?

Anyway there was this graphic of Astr Defense Indra rifle in 5.56mm NATO as well, looks like there is a plan to offer a ;carbine; or ;PDW; version of same in future,judging from that small graphics on top

NOW BONUS TIME!

Presenting something that's virtually unknown to people,that they kinda showcased in some thumbnail-ish downscaled pic but me bringing the full HD pic using my haxxor skills
*drum rolling*

Astr Defense PDW
*ba-dum-tiss*
Looks like their kaapi of Steyr TMP // B&T MP9 that takes glock mags of 33 rounder capacity ? Perhaps they got this idea after recent Asmi machine pistol was revealed ?

^I fully expect them to reveal these new projects/things in upcoming Defense Expo but still showcased it on their website in brief hhmm

Finally the source, KEEP THE FILES SAVED ON YOUR DEVICES BEFORE THEY ALTER LINKS OR REVOKE PUBLIC ACCESS, also do tinker with the links to see if you can mine some more exotic material there.
I didn't trust these ASTR guys earlier but when FN fucked us I think we should give these guys a chance.if it gets selected some belgian human right asses are gonna burn.

Lonewarrior

Country flag

NOW BONUS TIME!

*drum rolling*

Astr Defense PDW
*ba-dum-tiss*

Arre prabhu aap!!!

Ya I have seen it too, in this case our hero is Ankush Koravi.

But the best part is, the home page quotes Tony Stark :clap2:

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
It just look exactly like the scar.even if it is an outright copy I will not blame these guys.anyone has any more info about these rifles.

Killbot

Country flag
It just look exactly like the scar.even if it is an outright copy I will not blame these guys.anyone has any more info about these rifles.
Not at all. It has FN FAL style magazine feeding system, gas block is slightly different from SCAR and it has a non reciprocating charging handle. It is more like FAL+ACR. Definitely a unique design. Kudos to Astr defence.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Not at all. It has FN FAL style magazine feeding system, gas block is slightly different from SCAR and it has a non reciprocating charging handle. It is more like FAL+ACR. Definitely a unique design. Kudos to Astr defence.
I still believe it's reciprocating charging handle just like SCAR because it has got this big keyhole slot cut in the upper receiver to pull out charging handle during disassembly (or vice versa during assembly), most SCAR inspired rifles with reciprocating charging handles have it in this way.

1612342430452.png

Lonewarrior

Country flag
I still believe it's reciprocating charging handle just like SCAR because it has got this big keyhole slot cut in the upper receiver to pull out charging handle during disassembly (or vice versa during assembly), most SCAR inspired rifles with reciprocating charging handles have it in this way.

View attachment 76533
IT IS SCAR, that's it. End of discussion.

Same BUIS
Exact same gas block
Same BCG, handle
The barrel attachment; block with screws.
The case deflector that doubles as stock retainer.

And even if it has a non-reciprocating charging handle, it's still a SCAR.
SCAR SC and SCAR PDW uses the aforementioned.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
IT IS SCAR, that's it. End of discussion.

Same BUIS
Exact same gas block
Same BCG, handle
The barrel attachment; block with screws.
The case deflector that doubles as stock retainer.
well in their defense they have altered the charging handle slot's position on Indra by moving it slightly forward near the gas block while on SCAR it is on middle position, rest what to say it is a kaapi at its best.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
well in their defense they have altered the charging handle slot's position on Indra by moving it slightly forward near the gas block while on SCAR it is on middle position, rest what to say it is a kaapi at its best.
Moreover, we have long past the era of John Browning and Eugene Stoner. When out of nowhere a guy used to emerge with "his" rifle.

It's very hard to connect the dots when there is zero gun culture in India, leave aside assault rifles.
Where tf he got a rifle to tinker with!?

If I'm not wrong then some parts of TDP of SCAR is out in public. Especially dimensions. So maybe he just 3D printed it with some tweeks.

Killbot

Country flag

View attachment 76533
So thats what the shape was for.. I remember reading somewhere that it was reciprocating, so I said. Thanks.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Why the successful trials of a desi carbine is such a big deal | India Today Insight
In mid-June this year, a Belgian arms manufacturer walked out of a contract to supply small arms to India’s covert paramilitary, the Special Frontier Force (SFF). FN Herstal had signed a contract worth around Rs 70 crore to supply its P90 personal defence weapons and two variants of its SCAR assault rifles to the SFF, a unit made up of ethnic Tibetans. The exact reasons for FN’s refusal to supply the arms are unclear, but sources say it had to do with the firm’s concerns that their products would be used in Jammu and Kashmir. The SFF—deployed by the government in late August to occupy strategic heights in eastern Ladakh along the LAC with China—is now believed to be looking to acquire US-made assault rifles. This would not be the first time a global firm has expressed reservations about supplying small arms to India. Nor is it the first time that the lack of indigenously-developed weapons have been the cause of national embarrassment for India.

After the 26/ 11 Mumbai terror attacks over a decade ago, several state police forces looked for imports to replace their World War-II vintage small arms arsenal. The German government denied the sale of their popular Heckler & Koch MP5 sub-machine to states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Manipur, Odisha and Jammu and Kashmir, questioning their human rights record.

In early 2011, at least one chief minister, Narendra Modi, had raised the issue of this blacklist at a meeting of CMs in the national capital. The MHA then explored creative ways to circumvent the ban, including importing MP5s and re-distributing it to the states or advising states to shop from countries like Russia, the US and Italy.

This is why the successful trials of a DRDO designed carbine this year, is such a big deal. The Joint Venture Protective Carbine (JVPC) is the first ever indigenously designed and produced Indian carbine to be cleared for induction into the Indian armed forces and the central police and paramilitary forces. The JVPC has a 30-round box magazine with a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute.
The carbine, produced in collaboration with the state-owned Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), successfully completed its user trials on December 7, meeting all the army’s General Staff Qualitative Requirements. These were the last set of the trials which were carried out in extreme temperature conditions in summer and winter—the weapon performed with zero stoppages. In August this year, the JVPC also passed MHA trials presided by a full board of the MHA headed by the National Security Guard (NSG) and including representatives from all the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs). The weapon designed by the DRDO’s Pune-based Armaments Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) is being produced at the OFB’s Small Arms Factory in Kanpur and ammunition made by the Ammunition Factory Kirkee.

It has ended the conundrum of a country which, despite developing its own ballistic missiles and nuclear-powered submarines, has been struggling to develop a low-technology carbine—a compact weapon firing a pistol cartridge. Over the past 70 years, India has imported these weapons—building the British-designed Sterling under license at the Small Arms Factory Kanpur in the early 1960s. The lack of an indigenous alternatives to this World War-II era weapon meant that police, paramilitary and armed forces special units had to import alternatives. The arrival of the JVPC, government source say, has the potential to end the monopoly enjoyed by the MP5, first imported by elite units like the Special Group and the NSG in the early 1980s. The DRDO-designed weapon that fires a 5.56x30 mm cartridge out to 200 metres is far more effective than the 9 mm subsonic cartridge fired by the MP5. Its 5.56x30 bullets can penetrate a 3.5 mm mild steel plate and Level III body armour. NSG personnel during the 26/11 attacks noted that their MP5’s subsonic 9 mm cartridge was useless against well entrenched terrorists.

The JVPC’s success comes after a decade of languishing in development hell. The collaborative effort between the DRDO and OFB came as a result of the Army’s 15-year quest to replace the World War-II vintage 9 mm Sterling carbine. The Indian National Small Arms Systems (INSAS) project, which began in March 1982, aimed to give the army a standard assault rifle, a carbine and a light machine gun. The rifle was inducted into service in 1996 but the carbine failed trials owing to problems of firing a larger 5.56x45 cartridge from a smaller barrel—high sound and a ‘high jump in automatic burst’. The OFB and DRDO began to develop competing successor carbines—the MSMC and the ‘Amogh’, both chambered to fire a smaller 5.56x30 MINSAS cartridge. The OFB-developed ‘Amogh’ carbine failed to enter army service but saw limited induction into the Coast Guard and state police units. The DRDO and OFB teamed up five years ago, basing their joint efforts on the more promising DRDO carbine, renamed the JVPC. While it underwent trials, the weapon saw limited sales to state police units, including Delhi, Punjab and Chhattisgarh.

The non-standard pattern of JVPC ammunition could however be problematic. While the army will buy 5,000 JVPCs, it wants the bulk of its carbines to be chambered for the bigger NATO 5.56x45 cartridge. The army’s acquisition of 93,895 such carbines from Caracal of the UAE is stuck pending defence ministry approval. The army has a still bigger requirement for 3.5 lakh carbines which will be procured domestically. The OFB and DRDO have fielded another carbine for this requirement. It remains to be seen whether this product will have the JVPC’s resilience.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles