Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikhail

Country flag
Re: AR-M1, Arsenal made assault rifle used by the Indian Forces

This is the Bulgarian cheap copy of the real rifle.

Indian army had refused this copy, hence BSF and others fighting insurgency etc. do use it.

It is not made in India in large numbers. Just sufficient copies have been procured for paramilitary forces.

Indian Army's standard issue today is INSAS, before that FAL and before that Leenfield.

The Bulgarian copy is not extensively sold although it is at third the price of the real mccoy.

All the above performance data is a suspect as the manufacturer usually gloat over his product. If it is as good as it says then it will not bselling so cheap.
Mate the AR M-1 is an improved version of the AKM series of assault rifles and it was not copied illegally by the Bulgarians.Bulgaria got the license to produce the AKM from the erstwhile U.S.S.R. as it was a part of the Warsaw Pact.Arsenal & Co. was the armament factory established in 1878 and it's previous name was United Industrial Plant "Friedrich Engels" until 1989 when it changed ti's name and became a limited company.It manufactured AKM since the late 1960s.The current AR M-1 is an improved version of AKM with serious improvement in accuracy and recoil has been reduced to a significant level.Plus the use of black plastic polymer has helped to reduce the weight of the rifle and improving its ergonomics.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Last time i had an Indian Made AK was back in 2008, AK-7 was based on imported Bulgarian once ..

caliber: 7.62 x 39 mm
total length: Fixed Butt 900 mm
folded length: 660mm (Bottom Folding)
barrel length: 414 mm
rifling: 4 grooves
weight w/o magazine: 3.08 Kg.
muzzle velocity: 670 M/S
effective range: 400 M
rate of Fire: 600 Rds / Min
Source : Ordnance Factory Board

=========================

I think AK term was removed and simply call Assault Rifle 7.62 to avoid issues, I am not sure the one i was holding back in days was the same produced today, Though i would also point out that OFB does not produce 7.62m43, All these rounds are imported ..

Details
SKU AR-M1 762
caliber: 7.62 x 39 mm
total length: 930 mm (36.61 in.), Metal butt - 950 mm (37.40 in.)
folded length: 700 (27.56 in.) if apply
barrel length: 415 mm (16.34 in.)
rifling: 6 grooves
twist rate: 1 in 178 mm (7 in.)
weight w/o magazine: 3.67 kg (8 lbs 1.455 oz)
muzzle velocity: 910 m/s (2,985 fps)
effective range: 500 m (550 yds)
maximum range: 1350 m (1,480 yds)
rear sight range: 800 m (875 yds)
rate of Fire: 600 rounds/min. up to 100 pratical auto, 40 single fire
Assault rifles for the Military, Law Enforcement, and Government personnel. 7.62 and 5.56 NATO calibers.

@Kunal Biswas sir,i have finally found the specifications of the AR M-1(improved AKM) manufactured by Arsenal & Co. Bulgaria which is currently used in sizeable numbers by the Indian security forces.So sir,how do you compare this assault rifle with the one(AKM) made by the O.F.B.?I mean sir can you provide the specs of the O.F.B. made A-7 assault rifle so that we can compare these two?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Overall Indian made AK was design to suit Indian requirement, That is a compact & light AR for CQB operations ..

I am not sure why Bulgarian onces were imported, Hopefully not another scam ..

ramakrishna

Smart weapons can precisely hit enemy targets, minimize collateral damage and maximize lethality, with the ultimate aim being 'fire and forget' targeting. Now the technology that evolved to optimize the effectiveness of guided bombs and missiles has been incorporated into soldier-borne weapons, launch systems and ammunition.

Read More: Thinking on their feet – smart weapons for infantry

ghost

Ohio Ordinance Works HCAR (Modernized BAR)

The HCAR or "Heavy Combat Assault Rifle" is a modernized and improved Browning Automatic Rifle that Ohio Ordinance Works has been producing for over 20 years. Notable improvements include bolt-hold-open, increased magazine capacity, lighter weight, and ergonomic selector switch.

jedigman

Can you post specs.
Barrel Length: 16 inches (410mm)
Overall Length: 36 inches (915mm) doesn't specify whether buttstock fully extended or retracted.
Weight: 4.1kg (4100gram)
Effective range: 600 meters
Caliber: 7,62x51 NATO

Uses short stroke piston to cycle the action.

Here's 5.56x45 NATO version

And SMG version, no specs given for either rifle.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

sydsnyper

Country flag
Can you ID this rifle?? I saw it in the PLA thread on this forum.. (looks like a jacketed QBZ)

shiphone

Country flag
LOL...I can give you a keyword in chinese "激光模拟枪 " and try google Image search ...
-------------------------

that's for laser gun shooting games. the recievers are on the helmet and vest

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
What is the average height and weight of Indian soldiers ??

What should be average length of the AR and the average Wight of it ??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Long range shooting with 7.62x39 AK ..

Some folks will say the 7.62x39 AK is wildly inaccurate and that long range work is best left to AR15's. I disagree, and I show you that long range shooting is indeed possible using my Krebs

=====================================

Trichy has an 18inch barrel, No wonder it can engage targets beyond 300ms ..

Damian

MSBS 5,56 - new Polish assault rifle prototype - Page 34

I strongly advise to check this thread, especially last page, person nicknamed Leetwin, posted photos he made from one issue of "Strzał" ("Shot") magazine, where there are photos of also disassembled MSBS, also in bullpup variant.

My impression is that internal mechanisms of our new rifle are very solid, most likely because there is requirement for rifle to be at least as reliable as AK.

militarysta

Re: Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

Go ahead and shoot :)
Yes, INSAS - comparable to polish Beryl.
But whait:
what can be comparable whit MSBS?
hmm till now nothing?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles