Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

From Nairobi hostage situation.

What are these weapons?

pmaitra

@Kunal saw these on mp.net the new bullpupp and the new Ak-12 (looks like a carbine) have a lot of improvement on the older rifles
Here are more pictures. What is interesting to note is that IzhMash is introducing transparent magazines, a new bull-pup version of the Kalashnikov, and a few variants with a generous dose of chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Here are more pictures. What is interesting to note is that IzhMash is introducing transparent magazines, a new bull-pup version of the Kalashnikov, and a few variants with a generous dose of chrome.

transparent rifle magazine they are learning from INSAS.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Last edited:

apple

Re: INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

While Native English speakers do it too much too, the use of acronyms seems really, really common amongst Indians. Remember I was reading some comments on a cricket forum and, amongst themselves, the Indian guys weren't using players names, but their intials. Some of them were easy enough to understand i.e. MSD or VVS, but on that thread people were talking ADV (who was de Villiers) and PK (who I think was Praveen Kumar) it was very confusing.

AR is also very confusing. I thought you were talking about automatic rifles, and I imagine INSAS chose that abbreviation for it's association with the M-16, as it's the "official" abbreviation of Armalite eg. AR-15

M-16 is also available in fully-automatic.

They used them in Vietnam, IIRC. @W.G.Ewald, please confirm.

Ok, a battlefield rifle and an assault rifle are essentially guns that fire spinning projectiles, but a sub-machine-gun might or might not fire spinning bullets, depending on whether it is a rifle or a smooth-bore.

Yes, a sub-machine-gun will be ideal for a shorter range and the length of the bullet will be smaller, even if the diameter is bigger.

Secondly, I do not know the different between a battlefield rifle and an assault rifle. Can you clarify that a bit?
Yes, (military) M-16's and M-4's can be fully automatic.

Assault rifle isn't a term that's used much any more. In particular, as it's be co-opted by US lawmakers to describe various things.

A serious problem I have with this forum, is people making things up/ be deluded/ actively lying.

Your WaffenSS/ Hello_10 posters are sort of funny (in a way), but just as big a problem is guy's like Pmaitra stating "facts" about subjects which they clearly know nothing about.

Submachine guns have rifling. They make "bullets spin". All military small arms (excepting shotguns, which aren't that military) for hundreds of years have had rifling.

The twist ratio of the rifling is, typically designed around "the length of the bullet". You're welcome for the free lesson Pmaitra; Twist Ratio and Rifling are the terms you need to familiarize yourself with if you want to continue making similiar comments with out looking like a fool.

As to, SMG's/ carbines/ rifles, a lot of, civilian "carbines"(/rifles) use "pistol" ammunition. 357 and 44 magnum rounds are very commonly used in "carbines" (/rifles). The military, typically, use the term carbine to indicate a short barreled version of a rifle i.e. the M4, which use the same ammunition as the rifle. Off the top of my head, can't think of any SMG that doesn't use "pistol" ammunition

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Submachine guns have rifling. They make "bullets spin". All military small arms (excepting shotguns, which aren't that military) for hundreds of years have had rifling.
Yes, sub-machine-guns have rifling, like the Avenger Sub-machine-gun, and people are "making things up/ be deluded/ actively lying." (sarcasm)

You're welcome for the free lesson Pmaitra; Twist Ratio and Rifling are the terms you need to familiarize yourself with if you want to continue making similiar comments with out looking like a fool.
I think the link above will testify who is making a fool of himself.

apple

Serious problem B ) I have with this website is people's intransigence and completely lack of ability to realise and admit they might be wrong.

Yes, sub-machine-guns have rifling, like the Avenger Sub-machine-gun, and people are "making things up/ be deluded/ actively lying." (sarcasm)

I think the link above will testify who is making a fool of himself.
Wow.

Of the (presumably) hundreds of millions of rifled firearms that have been made over the past 300, or so, years, you google up a link to a weapon some amateur terrorists made in a shed to try and prove your claim SMG's don't have rifling.

If those terrorists had had the proper tools and know how they would have put rifling in the barrel of those guns, just like the barrels of the stens and sterlings they were trying to copy.

P.S. I realise you didn't claim SMG's don't have rifling. You claimed that SMG's don't make "bullets spin" which, although you didn't realise it, is a reference to smooth bore firearms

pmaitra

Serious problem B ) I have with this website is people's intransigence and completely lack of ability to realise and admit they might be wrong.

Wow.

Of the (presumably) hundreds of millions of rifled firearms that have been made over the past 300, or so, years, you google up a link to a weapon some amateur terrorists made in a shed to try and prove your claim SMG's don't have rifling.

If those terrorists had had the proper tools and know how they would have put rifling in the barrel of those guns, just like the barrels of the stens and sterlings they were trying to copy.

P.S. I realise you didn't claim SMG's don't have rifling. You claimed that SMG's don't make "bullets spin" which, although you didn't realise it, is a reference to smooth bore firearms
  • Step 1: Read
  • Step 2: Understand
  • Step 3: Respond

. . . a sub-machine-gun might or might not fire spinning bullets, depending on whether it is a rifle or a smooth-bore.

apple

• Step 1: Read
  • Step 2: Understand
  • Step 3: Respond
Step 1: You refer to smoothbore firearms.

Step 2: Smoothbore small arms, apart from shotguns and something criminals make in a shed, haven't existed for hundreds of years.

Step 3: I point your mistake, and offer some tips on how you can expand your knowledge on something you seem interested in, but don't understand.

I would seem that I was wrong. And you, Pmaitra, are at least familiar with the term smoothbore.

This is what's called an admission, Pmaitra. You should try it sometime.

But, my post wasn't really wrong as while Pmaitra uses the term smoothbore, he seems to not understand what it means

pmaitra

Step 1: You refer to smoothbore firearms.
I have quoted myself for your convenience. Read it. If you have comprehension problems, seek help.
Step 2: Smoothbore small arms, apart from shotguns and something criminals make in a shed, haven't existed for hundreds of years.
I am not debating numbers made, year of make, location of make, or users' political affiliation.

Step 3: I point your mistake, and offer some tips on how you can expand your knowledge on something you seem interested in, but don't understand.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

I would seem that I was wrong.
Yes, and that is what you need to worry about.

And you, Pmaitra, are at least familiar with the term smoothbore.

But, my post wasn't really wrong as while Pmaitra uses the term smoothbore, he seems to not understand what it means
Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

[HR][/HR]

P.S.: Do all Sten Guns have rifling?

apple

I am not debating numbers made, year of make, location of make, or users' political affiliation.
You can run a car using steam power. But, not many do. Your comments are equivalent to claiming because cars can run on steam, Saudi Arabia's economy is in trouble.

I would seem that I was wrong. And you, Pmaitra, are at least familiar with the term smoothbore.

Yes, and that is what you need to worry about.
Sure, let's focus on me not really having any idea of what your trying to say with your factually incorrect statements.

That seems sensible and worthwhile now, doesn't it?

[HR][/HR]

P.S.: Do all Sten Guns have rifling?
All small arms, including many modern "shotguns", have had rifling since forever.

pmaitra

You can run a car using steam power. But, not many do. Your comments are equivalent to claiming because cars can run on steam, Saudi Arabia's economy is in trouble.
The Sten Gun is pretty popular, and was widely used even during Al Capone's time.

Sure, let's focus on me not really having any idea of what your trying to say with your factually incorrect statements.

That seems sensible and worthwhile now, doesn't it?
Are you going to keep repeating that hackneyed phrase, "he doesn't know what smooth-bore is," or are you going to be productive and explain what a smooth-bore is?

All small arms, including many modern "shotguns", have had rifling since forever.
You are responding to a question about "Sten Guns," with an answer about "Shot Guns."

The disadvantages of rifling in a shotgun have been discussed at various fora. Please read about them.

apple

The Sten Gun is pretty popular, and was widely used even during Al Capone's time.
No, the Sten gun wasn't invented till WW2, by which time Al Capine had been long in jail. You're thinking of the Tommy gun. Stop lying/ talking about subjects you're not familiar with.

Are you going to keep repeating that hackneyed phrase, "he doesn't know what smooth-bore is," or are you going to be productive and explain what a smooth-bore is?
No, I'm not going to explain. Time chatting with you is clearly wasted. Do you own homework. I already told you where to start: Riflng and Twist rates.

You are responding to a question about "Sten Guns," with an answer about "Shot Guns."

The disadvantages of rifling in a shotgun have been discussed at various fora. Please read about them.
Disadvantages :) up till new shotgun ammunition, designed for rifled "shot guns" was introduced, sure they were "disadvantages".

Unfortunate you've spent some much time on these "various fora" and still seem to know so little about firearms :-/ ....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles