Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmaitra

Re: INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

FNC looks like a clearer INSAS.
I know this is subjective, but I think this "looking like INSAS" has a lot to do with the foregrip.

Frankly, it looks quite different from INSAS. Look at the gun sans the plastic parts, and focus on the trigger guard, the mag receiver, the point where the grip is attached, and it is much closer to M-16 family, than it is to INSAS.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

I know this is subjective, but I think this "looking like INSAS" has a lot to do with the foregrip.

Frankly, it looks quite different from INSAS. Look at the gun sans the plastic parts, and focus on the trigger guard, the mag receiver, the point where the grip is attached, and it is much closer to M-16 family, than it is to INSAS.

Probably closest to the FAL.

Look wise for me INSAS and older models of the FNC looks very similar.

Due to things like the foregrip, etc like you've said.

Twinblade

Country flag

A lot of it has to do with the fact that FN-CAL and INSAS both are derived from the FN-FAL (barrel, dust cover, butt stock, size and basic design), but Insas veered off in the AKM territory in the reciever and trigger assembly. Insas is a poor man's FN-CAL with cheap furniture, not so good quality of machining and a poor surface finish. The latest makes of Insas are what the basic minimum quality should have been 20 years back, let alone today.

pmaitra

A lot of it has to do with the fact that FN-CAL and INSAS both are derived from the FN-FAL (barrel, dust cover, butt stock, size and basic design), but Insas veered off in the AKM territory in the reciever and trigger assembly. Insas is a poor man's FN-CAL with cheap furniture, not so good quality of machining and a poor surface finish. The latest makes of Insas are what the basic minimum quality should have been 20 years back, let alone today.
Yes, you are right. INSAS does draw inspiration from FN-FAL with a good dose from AKM, and perhaps Galil as well.

I ti s good to see that the new INSAS rifles are of much better quality and finish.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Furniture is same for all AR that is thermostat and over that is the layer of other material that gives color in Orange or black..

If our government focus on national defense as much as in import such low quality would not be there, before compare rifles you should compare workshops, machines, labor working condition and over all the system management, Improve and tune these first and then there will be quality, we often forget the stance of gov towards national defense industry and go straight for the product quality with out realizing where and how in what condition these are made compare to what other develop nations..

Private sector is very good, TATA showed its small arms in defexpo 2012, If they make INSAS it would be in much - much better manufacturing quality, And they have ability to upgrade all firearms, after-all i wish for a better INSAS every day..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Black Rain Ordnance AK-47 PROTOTYPE Rifle – SHOT Show 2013

====================
====================

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Dada, any pics of TATA small arms?

Furniture is same for all AR that is thermostat and over that is the layer of other material that gives color in Orange or black..

If our government focus on national defense as much as in import such low quality would not be there, before compare rifles you should compare workshops, machines, labor working condition and over all the system management, Improve and tune these first and then there will be quality, we often forget the stance of gov towards national defense industry and go straight for the product quality with out realizing where and how in what condition these are made compare to what other develop nations..

Private sector is very good, TATA showed its small arms in defexpo 2012, If they make INSAS it would be in much - much better manufacturing quality, And they have ability to upgrade all firearms, after-all i wish for a better INSAS every day..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Photos are taken by : @sayareakd Sir at Defexpo 2012

Those firearms are actually M4/M16/SVD and FN-MAG but TATA will make them as per Army demands under tata logo..

The one reason army is not interested coz those are not as per GSQR unlike INSAS or RFI out for AR and this hopefull does not turn into BEML case.. :)

=====================

Private sector lacks the communication bridge between them and army, this will only solve when Gov ensure proper ways of communication..

Dada, any pics of TATA small arms?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles