Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 157899
Jugaad charging handle of JK SOG... Improvise adapt abd over come.
i kinda am concerned looking at it, though,

mainly because reciprocal charging handles like this are already causing issues like snagging on body vest or other gears of the shooter or other environmental stuff like vegetation and ropes and what not, and increasing its length is like inviting such troubles to even more extent, plus it greatly increases chances of accidental cycling of the bolt which could result in issues like improper ejection/feeding of the ammo, ammo getting stuck/carrier getting stuck due to outside gunk going inside and what not...

this is why many SCAR operators chose to get aftermarket non-reciprocating downward facing charging handle mod kit for their rifles...

my advise, if they really want to go through this jugaad better cut the neck of 7.62x39mm case, it'll be somewhat similar to length of charging handle of the AK and then use such shortened case for ;this jugaad; so they get best of both worlds, not potentially increasing the length of charging handle much as well as getting cylindrical grip on it, in the west there already exist readymade aftermarket stuff that fulfills same thing
1653844436862.png

Lonewarrior

Country flag
i kinda am concerned looking at it, though,

mainly because reciprocal charging handles like this are already causing issues like snagging on body vest or other gears of the shooter or other environmental stuff like vegetation and ropes and what not, and increasing its length is like inviting such troubles to even more extent, plus it greatly increases chances of accidental cycling of the bolt which could result in issues like improper ejection/feeding of the ammo, ammo getting stuck/carrier getting stuck due to outside gunk going inside and what not...

this is why many SCAR operators chose to get aftermarket non-reciprocating downward facing charging handle mod kit for their rifles...

my advise, if they really want to go through this jugaad better cut the neck of 7.62x39mm case, it'll be somewhat similar to length of charging handle of the AK and then use such shortened case for ;this jugaad; so they get best of both worlds, not potentially increasing the length of charging handle much as well as getting cylindrical grip on it, in the west there already exist readymade aftermarket stuff that fulfills same thing
View attachment 157969
Just to make sure that you lose your sleep today...
IMG_20220529_231022.jpg

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Just to make sure that you lose your sleep today...
ironically, i am in support of this idea, 'specially for INSAS,
i mean if they want to have non-reciprocating charging handle why not going ahead with one of the most sealed design than trying to open up another slot elsewhere...Serbians already successfully did this with their newer 6.5mm Zastava AKs

1653849397839.png

1653849408914.png

^kinda crude one here, transitioning from AK style to AR style, also integrating rail with top cover etc...

from here it went ahead, added removable barrels and new ACR style buttstock and so, became this,
1653849953542.png

1653849984635.png

(these two pics credited to thefirearmsblog)
1653850087797.png

1653850148138.png

so now they have <a> non-reciprocating charging handle integrated with top railed cover, is also a sealed design <b> original charging handle slot covered, and large fire selector doubling as dust cover is replaced with thumb operated ambidextrous fire selectors <c> replacable barrel+gas block sets, also option to change calibres with compatible magazines etc...

^this serbian AK is, and mark my words, THE MOST near thing to what Indian Army intented to get here when INSAS program started, i mean, after evaluating and rejecting Steyr AUG and some other rifles they wanted to have a desi rifle with swappable barrels among other things and even tried for that but eventually we all know how things played out...
after all these years they at least have a "template design" ready in some other land, should import 10 some pieces here and go full Norinco on them, try to make our own INSAS derivative out of this

but yeah if only wishes were horses...

btw serbs should try to redesign bolt carrier though, i mean that's the only part that seems to be not changed from previous AK design and judging from pics it seems the AK pattern shape of the bolt carrier is kinda ruining sealing of the rifle around borders with upper railed cover, a redesigned boxy cover shaped like this new top cover would resolve that issue easily, but if it's ok for serbian military then what else to say...at least it's not as open as a normal AK would be during fire modes...

Whitecollar

Country flag
No BPJs, no ear protection kit, no PPEs per se. But the biggest cringe im my opinion is: why don't personnel paint their guns after OEM finish gets faded? Now I know they don't have high level powder coat finish facility but atleast they could paint the affected areas to improve asthetics...their guns look in worse condition than the Darra sh*t that Porkies get caught with after infiltration.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
View attachment 157899
Jugaad charging handle of JK SOG... Improvise adapt abd over come.
The big round one are more comfortable we should have done the same with TAR though stock one is pretty decent too.

What about JVPC .... Asmi why don't they include them for testing purpose atleast and have common rounds which are already available in plenty.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
FAA8973D-B465-4797-9884-AD6F7A172276.jpeg

(L to R)
P-72 7.62x39mm rifle with the Tonbo Apollo VX 5x40mm sight, AR15 Pattern rifle with 14.5 inch barrel with a Vortex AMG UH-1 Huey Holographic sight and the Tonbo Spartan-SH clip-on TI sight as well as a Suppressor, AR15 pattern with 16 inch barrel, Viper 7.62x51 Sniper and Saber .338 LM Sniper.

Last edited:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
View attachment 158240
(L to R)
P-72 7.62x39mm rifle with the Tonbo Apollo VX 5x40mm sight, AR15 Pattern rifle with 14.5 inch barrel with a Vortex AMG UH-1 Huey Holographic sight and the Tonbo Spartan-SH clip-on TI sight as well as a Suppressor, AR15 pattern with 16 inch barrel, Viper 7.62x51 Sniper and Saber .338 LM Sniper.
Optic on the 16 inch barrel AR15 is the Korean DIO RV2. Here’s a review of it.
1653989339495.jpeg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles