Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Some breaking news on the AK 103 rifles ordered by IAF
How about going through the thread and seeing what has already been posted prior to posting stuff

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
On which thread can we discuss about the various RLs and Anti tank weapons of the army . Can you share some link with me ?
You can discuss it here, but no details have been provided, assuming 2000 are ordered which is quite very high as we won’t buy that much, still the order cost will be around $3 million or only ₹23 crores.

Angel of War

Country flag
You can discuss it here, but no details have been provided, assuming 2000 are ordered which is quite very high as we won’t buy that much, still the order cost will be around $3 million or only ₹23 crores.
since the order is limited to a small amount i guess we can assume that it is meant for the Paras , what do you think ?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
does your figure include 70,000 AK 203s ordered by the army directly from russia and the 70,000 AK103s ordered by the air force ?
The 70k AK-103 order from IAF is separate. They placed an emergency order in August 2021. This lot is probably getting delivered now. The total manpower of IAF is around 1.7 lac. So they need another 1 lac such rifles, which will be met from AK-203 which will be produced in OFB Korawa.

The deal between OFB and Kalshnikov is for a total of 6.5 lac AK-203 which was signed in December 2021. The first lot will come directly from Russia, and the balance will be manufactured in-house at OFB Korawa under Russian supervision which will start delivering by 2025 at the earliest.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The combat range is not that big of a issue as people make it to be. The Range is within our regular comabat radius for regular infantry rest who will be shooting from long distance they will be using Sigs.
Army itself highlighted lack of combat range and stopping power as major issue, to dump the Insas and move towards a 7.62* 51 mm assault rifle platform. Apparently, Army said that it feels outgunned by Pak army G-3s at the border.

So yes, combat range is a big issue in favor of selection of Sig-716. As far as AK-203, everyone knows it is a political deal.

SGOperative

Country flag
Army itself highlighted lack of combat range and stopping power as major issue, to dump the Insas and move towards a 7.62* 51 mm assault rifle platform. Apparently, Army said that it feels outgunned by Pak army G-3s at the border.

So yes, combat range is a big issue in favor of selection of Sig-716. As far as AK-203, everyone knows it is a political deal.
I am not talking about AK203 but the caliber also i mentioned those who would be taking shots at longer distance will be using Sigs but the other guys are getting AK203 who will not be taking shots outside 280-300m.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I have a doubt, will these 70,000 rifles be used by only Garuds (since they already use tavor, why AK??) or base security operators, military police,etc??
Who does these rifles go to??

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I have a doubt, will these 70,000 rifles be used by only Garuds (since they already use tavor, why AK??) or base security operators, military police,etc??
Who does these rifles go to??
Standard assault rifles, like you see INSAS with IAF and IN during various ceremonies, drills and other stuff.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles