Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SGOperative

Country flag
Nope, I'm saying that INSAS platform in general seems a better option among all other rifles currently serving the IA. Lesser recoil means better life expectancy of thermal optics and onboard chipset. Not to mention better range and higher precision than the AKs.

Infact I'm pretty sure few INSAS will still be kept in Army arsenal even after 203's induction just in case things go south.
LMGs would be kept i guess

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

The Shrike

Country flag
What exactly is the use of of a twin barrel rifle?
Also have these guys manufactured even one firearm till date, they have a fancy catelogue but all of them end with this type of disclaimer.
Silver Shadow® and Gilboa® are registered trademarks of Silver Shadow Advanced Security Systems Limited, Israel (Silver Shadow) and Werywin Defence Private Limited (Werywin Defence) is authorized distributor of Silver Shadow for select Indian markets, The images, videos, content or any information shown on this website about Silver Shadow products are property of Silver Shadow and are used with permission of the owners of the content.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
What exactly is the use of of a twin barrel rifle?
Main purpose is to increase hit-probability by increased density of ammo fired at target,

I started writing the reply but it seems it would go quite long,
so just dropping some cue points and names,

read about
>Olin/Winchester SALVO program (there also was a parallel conventional+bullpup triple-barreled automatic rifle by Springfield, also part of SALVO program)
>Fletchette rounds
>Duplex,Triplex rounds etc
>American ACR program
>Soviet Programs, TKB-059, AO-63 and ABAKAN (result was AN-94 'Nikonov's Rifle') and so

and meanwhile try to correlate whole .30-06//7.62x51mm NATO vs .280/30 British (7x43mm), 6.8 APC//6.5 Grendel etc with all these...you might get some idea

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I had handled and shot this weapon on few occasions . Its not that bad as it is said. Had scored some bulleye from 100 metres distance in lying position. Hadn't seen a single jamming or misfeed or anything like that during this time though had seen those in every other weapon i got a chance to handle like Bren, Insas, SLR, Carbine etc. Its not obsolete as u says is
Reliability isnt the only thing that decides if a weapon is obsolete or not. Ergonomics, modularity, optics and ease of mounting force multipliers is what makes a modern firearm. A self loading firearm like Ak47 isnt completely obsolete, look at the jihadis using them but a modern military deserves better.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Main purpose is to increase hit-probability by increased density of ammo fired at target,

read about
>Olin/Winchester SALVO program (there also was a parallel conventional+bullpup triple-barreled automatic rifle by Springfield, also part of SALVO program)
>Fletchette rounds
>American ACR program
>Soviet Programs, TKB-059, AO-63 and ABAKAN (result was AN-94 'Nikonov's Rifle') and so

and meanwhile try to correlate whole .30-06//7.62x51mm NATO vs .280/30 British (7x43mm), 6.8 APC//6.5 Grendel etc with all these...you might get some idea
It would have made sense if it had a single trigger to fire both rounds at once but it has two triggers which defeats the purpose.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
It would have made sense if it had a single trigger to fire both rounds at once but it has two triggers which defeats the purpose.
Ya'll Nibbiars better get a Protable Mini Gatling Gun.

images - 2022-01-18T082335.140.jpeg

Last edited:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars In TKB-0146, switching from one round semi automatic to fully automatic fire was accomplished by a secondary trigger located behind the main trigger. Squeezing the main trigger slightly, fired off a single round. Pulling it back fully, so that it pressed the secondary trigger, enabled fully automatic fire. Switching to the two-round burst mode was done by operating a different lever.

images - 2022-01-18T100858.417.jpeg

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars In TKB-0146, switching from one round semi automatic to fully automatic fire was accomplished by a secondary trigger located behind the main trigger. Squeezing the main trigger slightly, fired off a single round. Pulling it back fully, so that it pressed the secondary trigger, enabled fully automatic fire. Switching to the two-round burst mode was done by operating a different lever.

View attachment 132456
Progressive trigger is quite old of a mechanism. Right from early MGs and SMGs up until recent examples like AUG.

The only problem with this type of triggers is that once you're in the heat of battle, you always pull the trigger with full force and inadvertently empty your whole magazine on a single target.

Whitecollar

Country flag

read about
>Fletchette rounds
>American ACR program

There are only 3 things I believe will make this platform inferior:
1. Extra mag storage: You'll have to make this weird big pouches infront of vest just to store the extra mags due to being tied up. It increases weight and may not be ergonomic at all. If not, separate mag reload takes more time(very risky in battle situation).
2. Awkward Reloading: Soldier may not be able to find magwell position while reloading few times. In the heat of a battle, reloading nightmare should be the last thing soldier should face.
3. Inaccuracy after 300-350mtr: Being dual barrel, windage is bound to effect both bullet's trajectory, pitch and yaw leading to lesser possibility of bullseye hit on a human size target at longer distances.
And I'm pretty sure firing it in AUTO on single barrel config should lead to unstable recoils.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
There are only 3 things I believe will make this platform inferior:
1. Extra mag storage: You'll have to make this weird big pouches infront of vest just to store the extra mags due to being tied up. It increases weight and may not be ergonomic at all. If not, separate mag reload takes more time(very risky in battle situation).
2. Awkward Reloading: Soldier may not be able to find magwell position while reloading few times. In the heat of a battle, reloading nightmare should be the last thing soldier should face.
3. Inaccuracy after 300-350mtr: Being dual barrel, windage is bound to effect both bullet's trajectory, pitch and yaw leading to lesser possibility of bullseye hit on a human size target at longer distances.
And I'm pretty sure firing it in AUTO on single barrel config should lead to unstable recoils.
Of course, advantages and disadvantages with everything,
it was an early concept that was studied and declared not practical later on but it resulted in other lots of programs, you can say that us getting those UBGLs was an offshot-like thing from such programs etc

Tis' reasons why things like 2-3 round bursts, Hyperbursts, Duplex-Triplex Ammo, Flechettes, Cased Telescopic//Caseless Ammo, Computerised sighting systems etc happened due to one reason or other

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles