Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whitecollar

Country flag
Why State Police getting foreign weapons when we already have desi alternatives? JVPC & Amogh are equally potent light weight carbines. If they want more lethality, they should go for TAR or used INSAS.

Non frontline people should be refrained from opting any foreign arms. Otherwise we ourelves are suffocating OFB.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Why State Police getting foreign weapons when we already have desi alternatives? JVPC & Amogh are equally potent light weight carbines. If they want more lethality, they should go for TAR or used INSAS.

Non frontline people should be refrained from opting any foreign arms. Otherwise we ourelves are suffocating OFB.
First thing first; stop shoving something down a force's throat just because it's indigenous.

Second; you suggested JVPC and Amogh; as they are potent. Then you suggested TAR and INSAS, if they need more lethality.

But I think you missed the point that SWATs want the least lethality.
You don't want to injure a hostage behind the hostage standing behind the hijacker you're engaging.

Whitecollar

Country flag
First thing first; stop shoving something down a force's throat just because it's indigenous.

Second; you suggested JVPC and Amogh; as they are potent. Then you suggested TAR and INSAS, if they need more lethality.

But I think you missed the point that SWATs want the least lethality.
You don't want to injure a hostage behind the hostage standing behind the hijacker you're engaging.
First thing first: State police hardly fire 200 round bullet in their whole career. You call them forces? When was the last time a Police force went on full fledged neutralization mission against armed enemies like US SWAT??

Second, you need to understand that in states like Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, parts of Maha, Police encounter heavily armed Maoists with no will to give up. These encounters may go on for hours before commandos step in.

People like you wanna give them puny MP5 with 9mm ammo when Maoists know how to take cover and give support fire. Do remember that JVPC has 5.56x30mm FMJ which can pierce thru max natural covers.

As far as lethality at cities are concerned: you have hollow point bullets too that have much lesser lethal impact when a civilian is accidentally shot with it. But you need to ask yourself this. How many Police jawans that carry INSAS or SLR use such bullets? They too have FMJs.

Last edited:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
First thing first: State police hardly fire 200 round bullet in their whole career. You call them forces? When was the last time a Police force went on full fledged neutralization mission against armed enemies like US SWAT??

Second, you need to understand that in states like Jharkhand, Chattisgarh, parts of Maha, Police encounter heavily armed Maoists with no will to give up. These encounters may go on for hours before commandos step in.

People like you wanna give them puny MP5 with 9mm ammo when Maoists know how to take cover and give support fire. Do remember that JVPC has 5.56x30mm FMJ which can pierce thru max natural covers.
Almost all the states you mentioned have different forces for CI/CT Ops and SWAT Ops.

Fun Fact 465 : I'm from Jharkhand. And here we don't use puny 5.56x30mm FMJ for piercing natural cover.
CRPFs use mortars to simply vanish that cover into thin air.

Understand the basics of weapons; they are just like tools, where each one is tailored for one specific task. You can't do a screwdrivers job with a hammer.
Can you!?

Whitecollar

Country flag
Almost all the states you mentioned have different forces for CI/CT Ops and SWAT Ops.

Fun Fact 465 : I'm from Jharkhand. And here we don't use puny 5.56x30mm FMJ for piercing natural cover.
CRPFs use mortars to simply vanish that cover into thin air.

Understand the basics of weapons; they are just like tools, where each one is tailored for one specific task. You can't do a screwdrivers job with a hammer.
Can you!?
Likewise. I'm from Jharkhand too. Have met few JAP jawan and Cobras before. And NO. Mortars are not used unless authorized. You can't destroy entire village just because 3 most wanted maoists were spotted and then they retaliated all of a sudden.
Such acts are done but not all the time. No patrol team carries 200kgs Mortar launcher just because some Maoists may ambush them.
Cobras have been using TAR and Ghataks for a while and they are happy with it.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Likewise. I'm from Jharkhand too. Have met few JAP jawan and Cobras before. And NO. Mortars are not used unless authorized. You can't destroy entire village just because 3 most wanted maoists were spotted and then they retaliated all of a sudden.
Such acts are done but not all the time. No patrol team carries 200kgs Mortar launcher just because some Maoists may ambush them.
Cobras have been using TAR and Ghataks for a while and they are happy with it.
Those uzi and masada are made by PLR .

Whitecollar

Country flag
Those uzi and masada are made by PLR .
I know bro. My point being: Give 80% orders to OFB or rather SSS defence type industries that are solely Indian. PLR can export their weapons via OEM based on demand thereby stabilizing their existance. OFB however can't and has to rely on state and UT force's needs. You can anyday order rest 20-30% to other private arms.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
I know bro. My point being: Give 80% orders to OFB or rather SSS defence type industries that are solely Indian. PLR can export their weapons via OEM based on demand thereby stabilizing their existance. OFB however can't and has to rely on state and UT force's needs. You can anyday order rest 20-30% to other private arms.
SSS def yes.communist OFB or whatever it is now called misused its power as the sole contributor to forces .now they are receiving their karma

ManhattanProject

Country flag
SSS def yes.communist OFB or whatever it is now called misused its power as the sole contributor to forces .now they are receiving their karma
I really like that OFB new 5.56 carbine, if i was in charge i would swoop it from ofb's hands and allow SSS to produce a tweak it. Add some sleek handguard and some monolithic p-rails.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I really like that OFB new 5.56 carbine, if i was in charge i would swoop it from ofb's hands and allow SSS to produce a tweak it. Add some sleek handguard and some monolithic p-rails.

This carbine is going to be made in partnership with private industry, SSS defence confirmed a while back that they’re using the company formed out of the former JV with LMT to bid for ARDE projects.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
finally y'all. by the way effective range is said to be 300m. does it mean 300 without scope? cud it be increased with suitable attachments??

but it seems like it wud take another 5 yrs for localized production

AK-47 has 300 metres effective range, almost all assault rifles have the same, but they show it to 500m just for marketing, as for that they can even say it to 600 metres as well, kya hi fark padega lol.

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
finally y'all. by the way effective range is said to be 300m. does it mean 300 without scope? cud it be increased with suitable attachments??

but it seems like it wud take another 5 yrs for localized production

Effective range is basically how far it can shoot
Scope or no scope doesn't make a difference in reach of the bullet, but accuracy

Global Defence

New threads

Articles