Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The Ashbury defence group plan of license manufacturing Colt assault rifles looks promising.

We already have desi options of AK-47 pattern rifles. We need desi options for AR series rifles too.

Recent report in the media is claiming that Pakis are planning a license production of Turkish MPT-76 rifles (HK-417 clone). The move is most likely aimed as a response to Sig-716i induction in Indian army.

Now, the order of second batch of 72k Sig-716i is held up due to price issue. Thus we need more desi options in AR series rifles to counter old G-3s and future MPT-76 in paki inventory.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Colt is already sold to CZ arms. The question is from whom is Ashbury getting license to manufacture.
Also, is the license extends to all of Colt's models on only on selected ones. Because Colt CM901 series is a very promising multi-caliber platform.

Also, does this license manufacturing means just assembling of knocked down parts, or all up manufacturing from raw materials stage?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Can Dragunov DMR and Pika machine gun be rechambered to use 7.62*51 mm rounds?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
@Johny_Baba it seems pakis are going to select the mpt76 as their service rifle.their are news of production of 1 lakh units by POF .the pakis are in talk with a south african firm too

Marliii

Country flag
Poor pk18 and pk21 and also poor zarvan was simping for FN scar h .but if deal goes chances are high this their 3rd or 4th attempt we will be sitting with our watered ak203 and saying its reliable sirr its cheap sirr its 7.62x39 sir its insta kill sirr

MisraZ

Country flag
Not sure if they can be re chambered from existing firearms but Arsenal Bulgaria has a 7.62x51 version of the PKM. However Poland struggled with rechambering the PKM. AFAIK Dragunov hasn’t been re chambered the same way.
Converting belt machine gun is difficult due to linked v/s unlinked cases and related mechanism to handle those.

But dmr is straight forward for example norinco ndm-86 / Tigr in 7.62x51mm NATO.

MisraZ

Country flag
Poor pk18 and pk21 and also poor zarvan was simping for FN scar h .but if deal goes chances are high this their 3rd or 4th attempt we will be sitting with our watered ak203 and saying its reliable sirr its cheap sirr its 7.62x39 sir its insta kill sirr
Man their G3 replacement program is as shitty as ours. I seen somewhere that they were seriously considering Cz 807 bren as its replacement. Let me try to dig that.

Marliii

Country flag
Man their G3 replacement program is as shitty as ours. I seen somewhere that they were seriously considering Cz 807 bren as its replacement. Let me try to dig that.
That deal was cancelled they even tried to get the polish groot.then pk18 now turkey

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Guys who thinks Ak203 is over priced should check the price of Insas and Ghataks offered for police forces😄. Its over 70K. 😬😬. Dont get the logic of one govt instutute ripping another one with such high prices.

Spindrift

Guys who thinks Ak203 is over priced should check the price of Insas and Ghataks offered for police forces😄. Its over 70K. 😬😬. Dont get the logic of one govt instutute ripping another one with such high prices.
Check the cost of civilian handguns which are just copies of Webley and Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless, designs which are over a 100 years old.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
@Johny_Baba it seems pakis are going to select the mpt76 as their service rifle.their are news of production of 1 lakh units by POF .the pakis are in talk with a south african firm too
Not sure i think i read it somewhere that they may go towards ;indigeneous; PK-18 rifle that essentially is AR-10 of their own,
1635272389649.png

let them have it we already have got enough Sig716i at our side to balance it well,
and even if they get turkroach MPT-76 (essentially upscaled HK416 in 7.62 NATO), we still have analogous weapon with 716i now so ok whatever...

the thing i am really annoyed (let's say jealous, honestly) is that porkies have got MP5 manufacturing etc all there and even their lowest of low pomlice walla uses MP5 SMG or semi-auto only variant whatever...while our side is still struggling like mad to replace dem Sterling "9mm Carbines" huh 😒 :facepalm2:

anyway both turkroaches and porkies have similar cases i mean both are replacing their 7.62 NATO service rifle G-3 with AR-10 derivatives, moreover to that both were given loicense + ToT by Heckler and Koch for producing roller delayed blowback pattern firearms 😒 with porkies being exception that they didn't receive package for HK41x series, but with turkroach help they might very well end up getting it anyway so...yeah.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles