Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonewarrior

Country flag
If I'm not wrong chethan cheetah , crpf commandant took two rounds to his patka and still survived, none penetrated through the patka,between I love patka, its unique which makes us stand outside the crowd, we must working on improving patka with state of kevlar .
Patka is just a piece of bent steel, that's it. Kevlar can't improve anything in a steel.

The problem here is not penetration; it's energy. Even a relatively thin layer of RHA steel can stop 7.62x39mm from penetrating. But how're you going to deal with that 2000 joules of energy? How is one supposed to stop it from transferring into the cranium.

There are many cases where people have survived bullet injuries to skull. But those are more of exceptions.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Which ones are in service? Any manufactured by Indian vendors??
I have heard of A variant of the FAST helmet made by US and how it saved a US special forces trooper from a 7.62 round.and also a french SF guy but those helmets are costly don't know about any one from indian vendors

Marliii

Country flag
I have heard of A variant of the FAST helmet made by US and how it saved a US special forces trooper from a 7.62 round.and also a french SF guy but those helmets are costly don't know about any one from indian vendors

Covfefe

Country flag
What could be the landed cost of such helmets in India at a mass purchase? Or any retail price available publicly?

Marliii

Country flag
What could be the landed cost of such helmets in India at a mass purchase? Or any retail price available publicly?
There are many helmets like @Lonewarrior said. I just took the most widely used helmets by special ops and army had an RFI for 50k 7.62x39 resistant helmets but it didn't went anywhere for now

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The multicaliber idea was proposed by army in 2011-12 and junked by army itself in 2016-17. The biggest casualty of this decision was the DRDO MCIWS rifle.

There is no scope for multi-caliber returning in army planning in the near future.
What we need is standardization of caliber. IA has already gone for 72K Sigs and a repeat order of another 72K is pending (due to funds cruch).

In parallel, the AK-203 project was introduced but that is stuck in limbo and is unlikely to make any progress despite what desi dalal reporters wants us to beleive. It will go the Kamov way for near future and finally cancelled like FGFA.

So bettter option is cancel the AK-203 overall, and order more 7.62*51 mm rifles (we have multiple desi options right now) for the main battle rifle; and 5.56*45 mm rifle for carbine needs (OFB's Sig 550 clone is the prime contender in that).

MisraZ

Country flag
Guys, I made a Ak47 Chambered in 7.62x54r for Make in India, for under $300. Its got a 16 inch barrel and is tested for 19000 rounds. I make the receivers from steel myself and used surplus parts and barrels but I also have chrome lines self made barrels made through a tool a die company that contributes to my effort. I am ready to supply this to the Indian armed forced but how can I even attempt this. I own the machines and the tooling along with enough half made receivers to supply 12000 units.
Bro can you please post some photos?

The Shrike

Country flag
The multicaliber idea was proposed by army in 2011-12 and junked by army itself in 2016-17. The biggest casualty of this decision was the DRDO MCIWS rifle.

There is no scope for multi-caliber returning in army planning in the near future.
What we need is standardization of caliber. IA has already gone for 72K Sigs and a repeat order of another 72K is pending (due to funds cruch).

In parallel, the AK-203 project was introduced but that is stuck in limbo and is unlikely to make any progress despite what desi dalal reporters wants us to beleive. It will go the Kamov way for near future and finally cancelled like FGFA.

So bettter option is cancel the AK-203 overall, and order more 7.62*51 mm rifles (we have multiple desi options right now) for the main battle rifle; and 5.56*45 mm rifle for carbine needs (OFB's Sig 550 clone is the prime contender in that).
How come there is seemingly no followup to the SIG "emergency" import for their frontline troops? At a minimum at last 400K rifles would be required no, and only 140K have been procured/ or in the pipeline. Did the Army go back to sleep on its longterm plans or are they regretting the move to 7.62*51 mm (maybe looking at all those cool videos about NGSW is giving them buyers remorse).

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Guys, I made a Ak47 Chambered in 7.62x54r for Make in India, for under $300. Its got a 16 inch barrel and is tested for 19000 rounds. I make the receivers from steel myself and used surplus parts and barrels but I also have chrome lines self made barrels made through a tool a die company that contributes to my effort. I am ready to supply this to the Indian armed forced but how can I even attempt this. I own the machines and the tooling along with enough half made receivers to supply 12000 units.
I like your idea but two things,
>7.62x54mm R is a kind of ammo that is not suitable much for box-fed magazine of 20+ rounds capacity due to the ;taper; and rimmed structure, magazine would start curving like a thick banana and literally no commonality exist there here except perhaps Dragunov rifle, so that's a thing,
>AK design for full length battle rifle configuration hhmm ? already demerits of the design are discussed here in great length and giving to Indian Army has already gotten a better design like SIG in hands there are less chances for its success here, 'specially in that calibre

My personal recommendation to you is,
> Pick Up Dragunov like design if you still want to follow Kalashnikov-ish design i.e. that is to provide short-stroke gas system design to AK style bolt+bolt carrier combination sans gas piston
> Rather than 7.62x54mmR offer it in 7.62x51mm NATO, preferebly feeding from 1A SLR pattern magazines
then your design culd be a good competitor to what OFB was offering, that R-2 rifle

The Shrike

Country flag
Just curious, why 7.62x54r and not 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 NATO?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
@Johny_Baba and others what do you think?
Rememeber old post of yours where a Sig rep was making claims that their NGSW-R design, the SIG MCX Spear was supposed to be a multi-calibre design so with some basic parts changes like barrel, bolt carrier etc one can make it adopt to other calibre etc and HOW PARTS COMMONALITY IS THERE BETWEEN MCX SPEAR AND CURRENT MCX etc...i dissed him citing how MCX Spear differs internally from what original MCX design used to be etc etc, citing all those blueprints and so, so highly unlikely that MCX Spear could be having all these etc...

but even before this current NGSW-R design came in existence they actually had plans for upscaling normal MCX rifle design and offer it in multiple calibre configuration it seems, but predominantly as a long range DMR-ish rifle,
sources = https://www.recoilweb.com/recoil-exclusive-sig-sauer-csass-the-mcx-mr-65405.html

and

bas, similar thing here i believe i.e. they might have/had plans to make SIG 516/716 multicalibre series with different calibre offerings for both platforms having minimum parts changes (most commonly barrel+barrel extension + bolt carrier + magazines in some cases etc) , and since previous SIG716 also shared similar gas system as there was there on SIG516 (i.e. short stroke gas piston one) that was also a logical way forward...

...but then many things happen in between, like they lost this contract for DMR to H&K G28 derivative and so, could've resulted in dropping of these krantikaari ideas and they went back to basics with SIG16i and MCX Spear being offered in next gen calibre only etc to prevent potential losses if other design is selected etc, i believe...

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Change the market, PERIOD

A plan to sell small arms to Indian Government will only results in infinite "Are you f-ing kidding me!?" moments, extreme frustration and severe depression.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles