Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gessler

Country flag
@Johny_Baba @ezsasa @Gessler @ALBY and others who I’ve missed out what could it be?
This was statement from more than 2 years ago. I had tweeted exact same words (from translation) in 2019.

Much has happened since then and right now what we need to know is that the latest known configuration of Indian AK-203 will be like this, as was shown in DEFEXPO last year:

But even this is not 'final'. As per what Vladimir Onokoy was saying in the new Manu Pubby report, the final configuration is still being decided.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Ak 2003 will go to the counter insurgency units.
Shows the mentality of army, instead of permanently eliminating terrorism by pre emptive strikes in PoK, we are busy to fight them, this is what is called Area dominance which sounds cool on paper not in reality, Army should focus on Area denial as Navy and Airforce is pursuing.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
What will be the final variant of ak203 looks like?my guess is some orange paint
Repainting perfectly ok Aks, Vzs in dark brown to orange paint shows how dumb the armourers in our army are. OFB alone cant be blamed as it is the army which demands the colour if army find something nin fruitful then theh can discard it. But here more and more rifles in wooden colours are repainted to neon orange for no reason.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Repainting perfectly ok Aks, Vzs in dark brown to orange paint shows how dumb the armourers in our army are. OFB alone cant be blamed as it is the army which demands the colour if army find something nin fruitful then theh can discard it. But here more and more rifles in wooden colours are repainted to neon orange for no reason.
I remember somebody saying in this forum:
Once IA Jernail was asked by OFB "Why do you want orange color on INSAS, sir?"
To which he replied "Our soldiers must be able to find the rifle in pitch dark conditions also."

Whitecollar

Country flag

Beryl M762 in of course 7.62x39mm, perhaps the only video of ACTUAL Beryl M762 being fired except all those PUBG kensurs.
Rifle looks pretty overgassed. Plus, it won't be available for IA to buy so 😔
Let's hope OFB is able to make the AK-203 as close to original as possible. Don't want em to screw this like last time.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Why poles dont want to export their rifle? They had send few pieces to Nigeria only.. Meh..
Why would you want this polish AK when we already have just best alternative to that in service i.e. Arsenal M5F41 ?
1624560591377.png

😏 besides if you want to get a polish assault rifle then why even asking for Beryl M762 when this beauty exist
1624561092614.png

...oops...i mean this beauty in her hands of course 😅
1624561813482.png

Fabryka Broni MSBS Radom // Grot, a modular rifle based heavily on Magpul Masada//Bushmaster ACR//Remington ACR

@Bhumihar somewhere asked my opinions on ACR, well what to say just ask Poles who based their next-gen rifle on that one after importing some ACRs for their Special Forces and now in process of replacing all their Beryl and other Kalashnikov based rifles with MSBS

Oh and of course MSBS comes in two configurations based on exact same internals, one is conventional one shown above and other is bullpup one, both takes same exact upper receiver and internals - just railed top section + buttstocks + lower receivers and handguards are different between two configurations...TL:DR; a true modular rifle, fully ambidextrous too...one can even change side of ejection by disassembly-based modifications

Poles even offered MSBS in 7.62x39mm in just same configurations as Bren 2,
one with conventional AK style lower receiver, to accomodate AK magazines (this came out in 2014 btw)
1624562124944.png

and other that could take STANAG compatible 7.62x39mm magazines just like regular Bren 2 (MCIWS ?) and so, came in later stage
1624562207284.png

...so given a chance which one would you pick up from above ?

finally, MSBS DMR version in 7.62x51mm NATO, currently undergoing trials with Polish Army
1624562775409.png

Having said all these MSBS (or in general ACR in my view) aren't perfect,
one major issue is, to make these firearms lighter they used polmyer parts wherever possible and those polymer made lower receivers and buttstocks are fragile - prone to crackings and what not...even bolt carrier of MSBS was given some milling to shed off some weight that made it prone to crackings and so,

on the other hand MSBS perfected one of the major issue on ACR design that was quick detachable barrel swap, ACR one required no tool to lock/remove a barrel from barrel extension in receiver but it was somewhat malfunction prone design - after some time barrel would loosen up and start wobbling etc...MSBS fixed that one with a threaded nut-affixed barrel that provided much tighter fit and worked well enough, only downside was it required a hex key for locking-unlocking barrel.
ACR barrel swap mechanism, you use that U-shaped lever attached to barrel nut to lock-unlock barrel
1624564398301.png

MSBS also has barrel swap feature but simplified barrel locking on it by just using this hexagonal headed nut, you use appropriate Hex Key to loosen the barrel in barrel extension, pull it out, insert new barrel and tighten the nut
1624564518430.png

Gessler

Country flag
Why would you want this polish AK when we already have just best alternative to that in service i.e. Arsenal M5F41 ?
View attachment 96303

😏 besides if you want to get a polish assault rifle then why even asking for Beryl M762 when this beauty exist
View attachment 96307
...oops...i mean this beauty in her hands of course 😅
View attachment 96310
Fabryka Broni MSBS Radom // Grot, a modular rifle based heavily on Magpul Masada//Bushmaster ACR//Remington ACR

@Bhumihar somewhere asked my opinions on ACR, well what to say just ask Poles who based their next-gen rifle on that one after importing some ACRs for their Special Forces and now in process of replacing all their Beryl and other Kalashnikov based rifles with MSBS

Oh and of course MSBS comes in two configurations based on exact same internals, one is conventional one shown above and other is bullpup one, both takes same exact upper receiver and internals - just railed top section + buttstocks + lower receivers and handguards are different between two configurations...TL:DR; a true modular rifle, fully ambidextrous too...one can even change side of ejection by disassembly-based modifications

Poles even offered MSBS in 7.62x39mm in just same configurations as Bren 2,
one with conventional AK style lower receiver, to accomodate AK magazines (this came out in 2014 btw)
View attachment 96311
and other that could take STANAG compatible 7.62x39mm magazines just like regular Bren 2 (MCIWS ?) and so, came in later stage
View attachment 96312
...so given a chance which one would you pick up from above ?

finally, MSBS DMR version in 7.62x51mm NATO, currently undergoing trials with Polish Army
View attachment 96313

Having said all these MSBS (or in general ACR in my view) aren't perfect,
one major issue is, to make these firearms lighter they used polmyer parts wherever possible and those polymer made lower receivers and buttstocks are fragile - prone to crackings and what not...even bolt carrier of MSBS was given some milling to shed off some weight that made it prone to crackings and so,

on the other hand MSBS perfected one of the major issue on ACR design that was quick detachable barrel swap, ACR one required no tool to lock/remove a barrel from barrel extension in receiver but it was somewhat malfunction prone design - after some time barrel would loosen up and start wobbling etc...MSBS fixed that one with a threaded nut-affixed barrel that provided much tighter fit and worked well enough, only downside was it required a hex key for locking-unlocking barrel.
ACR barrel swap mechanism, you use that U-shaped lever attached to barrel nut to lock-unlock barrel
View attachment 96314
MSBS also has barrel swap feature but simplified barrel locking on it by just using this hexagonal headed nut, you use appropriate Hex Key to loosen the barrel in barrel extension, pull it out, insert new barrel and tighten the nut
View attachment 96315
Do you recall the noises made by Pakistanis that they were all but signed on to a deal with the Polish for rifles :daru: like the whole SCAR fiasco it too faded away.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles