Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
No need for new weapons to switch to 6.8mm ammo, barrel swap is enough... cheaper, better on logistics and faster to implement.

Don’t expect our bahadur fauj to consider modern looking stuff, they are trying their very best to look as rag tag as they can.

MisraZ

Country flag
My biggest fear came true, The Indian Army wants that the carbines are required to be 650 mm long in foldable and 800 mm long in extended conditions and weigh no more than 3.3 kg. No AR-15 type rifle offers foldable stock or 650mm length in collapsed condition due to use of buffer tube. Only FN SCAR and SiG MCX remain qualified but SiG MCX is 3.4kg heavy so only FN SCAR Remains which is too too too much expenive to even dream of buying let alone reality, guess what... the specs were made specifically for OFB Carbine as Phashist Narinder Mudi once said Aatmanirbhar Bharat and Indian Army went too seriously😓.

View attachment 93691
I think this carbine RFI is tailor made for Sig sg553. It matches all criterion mentioned in rfi.

Screenshot_20210612-105729_Chrome.jpg

MisraZ

Country flag
Lol, even I thought that, but not possible, barrel length too short. SiG 556 would be a good choice but MCX is what I want.
There is a long barrel version of the same rifle. That's the reason I singled it out. It is already in service with NSG and isn't a bad weapon too. I also wish it is mcx but I am skeptical looking at rfi.

Screenshot_20210612-110055_Chrome.jpg

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
There is a long barrel version of the same rifle. That's the reason I singled it out. It is already in service with NSG and isn't a bad weapon too. I also wish it is mcx but I am skeptical looking at rfi.

View attachment 94320
Long barrel doesn’t mean it will fit, 800 mm max.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Do you have any copy of that RFI? I cant find it anywhere.I never saw any barrel length criteria mentioned / did I miss that. Longer barrel length makes sense, but it is IA we are talking about.
Requirements...
Extended length: 800mm
Collapsed length: 650mm
Weight W/O Magazine ≤ 3.3kg

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
OFB carbine (Sig 550 style) will most likely get seected.

Either it is made exactly as per the RFI, or the RFI is made exactly to suit the OFB carbine. THe carbine surfaced earlier (Defence exo 2020) and the RFI was released in (Feb 2021). So the latter is the most likely case.

OFB lobbying is also one of most likely reason the earlier RFI was cancelled and the Caracal bid was rejected.

Some sources have said that OFB has also proposed to the army a 7.62*51 mm rifle which is based on this carbine. But the army has rejected this proposal till now. However, if this carbine is selected, then it will also become the front runner to the the rest 3.6L carbine (5.56*45 mm) and another 2.2L rifle (7.62*51 mm to complement the Sig-716s).

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
OFB carbine (Sig 550 style) will most likely get seected.

Either it is made exactly as per the RFI, or the RFI is made exactly to suit the OFB carbine. THe carbine surfaced earlier (Defence exo 2020) and the RFI was released in (Feb 2021). So the latter is the most likely case.

OFB lobbying is also one of most likely reason the earlier RFI was cancelled and the Caracal bid was rejected.

Some sources have said that OFB has also proposed to the army a 7.62*51 mm rifle which is based on this carbine. But the army has rejected this proposal till now. However, if this carbine is selected, then it will also become the front runner to the the rest 3.6L carbine (5.56*45 mm) and another 2.2L rifle (7.62*51 mm to complement the Sig-716s).
What is the small arms requirments of IA?

ketaki

Country flag
stupid Q

why army is reluctant to replace INSAS with TAR (Trichy Assault Rifle) ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles