Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir which carbine do you think will be the most suitable for the Army?

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir which carbine do you think will be the most suitable for the Army?
Again my basic question, what do you think qualifies for a carbine and where do you it would be employed in the Indian context? It's used in conventional as well as sub conventional warfare. And then we shall graduate to the selection. No-one gave me the answer for the rifles.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Again my basic question, what do you think qualifies for a carbine and where do you it would be employed in the Indian context? It's used in conventional as well as sub conventional warfare. And then we shall graduate to the selection. No-one gave me the answer for the rifles.
Carbines are used by tank crews, members of a platoon carrying heavy weapons as a secondary weapon, special forces, ghatak platoons, Rashtriya Rifles and Assam Rifles, Artillery units?

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Nopes, beating around the bush.
They are typically issued to high-mobility troops such as special-operations soldiers and paratroopers, as well as to mounted, artillery, logistics, or other non-infantry personnel whose roles do not require full-sized rifles, and for Operatives for Close Quarter combat in which full length Rifles may restrict movement

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I believe the army wants to find a replacement for whatever tasks the Sterling 9mm "carbine" performed(basically whatever others have answered so far). But, now they want it to have a bigger and more powerful round and initially pursued the 5.56x30mm MINSAS round but have now largely abandoned it despite the JVPC Carbine/PDW chambered for this round clearing army trials. Now they've decided they want a Carbine chambered for 5.56x45mm. It also needs to weigh somewhere near the weight of the Sterling about ~2.8-3 kg, now due to superior metallurgy, guns chambered to bigger rounds have come down to about 3-3.5 kg. It also has to have all the bells and whistles of modern firearms.

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
I believe the army wants to find a replacement for whatever tasks the Sterling 9mm "carbine" performed(basically whatever others have answered so far). But, now they want it to have a bigger and more powerful round and initially pursued the 5.56x30mm MINSAS round but have now largely abandoned it despite the JVPC Carbine/PDW chambered for this round clearing army trials. Now they've decided they want a Carbine chambered for 5.56x45mm. It also needs to weigh somewhere near the weight of the Sterling about ~2.8-3 kg, now due to superior metallurgy, guns chambered to bigger rounds have come down to about 3-3.5 kg. It also has to have all the bells and whistles of modern firearms.
Inching towards the answer. As I had mentioned- Mandate( tasking) then organisation then equipping. Think on these lines. You ll never be confused about the weapon, yes you might have a few alternatives to choose from

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
They are typically issued to high-mobility troops such as special-operations soldiers and paratroopers, as well as to mounted, artillery, logistics, or other non-infantry personnel whose roles do not require full-sized rifles, and for Operatives for Close Quarter combat in which full length Rifles may restrict movement
Partially correct.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir, a while back on the SF thread you mentioned that an advantage the Mepro MOR sight had over the COMP M4 was it does not require a battery to use it unless the lasers were required, how important is it for a magnified sight to have or not require batteries? Like the Trijicon ACOG uses Tritium and Fibreoptics for maintaining illumination, but modern battery powered mangnified sights like the SIG Bravo 5x30mm have a battery life of 40,000 hours(1667 days) and cost half the price? Does this somewhat negate the price premium of the ACOG in a hypothetical situation?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Next question of mine is regarding the way sidearms are holstered(location), in the recent Nagrota Ban toll plaza encounter, we saw Para SF members using few relatively modern gears for the first time, here a soldier as holstered his sidearm on his plate carrier. How effective and efficient is such a holstering position over the conventional method? I've occassionaly seen some Western SF members use this method too.
1622791050093.png
1622791050093.png

Conventional method
1622791188371.png

@AVINASH4061

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
@AVINASH4061

Avinash ji, we know you are a busy man with a business and family to look after, but here's a request from my side. There is very little information available on the internet from the users perspective regarding the pros and shortcomings of the INSAS rifle. There are some anecdotes here and there like it jams a lot, furniture is fragile, extraction is poor, the rifle is very accurate, pleasant to shoot but very little on exact reason on why it happened. The operational history of INSAS is very poorly documented in open source, compared to say the M4/M16 family whose each generation and production block is well documented.

It's far more easy to find information on some obscure european rifles and prototypes compared to INSAS. If you can take out time, it would be nice to have a technical article on INSAS with pictures of the components, indicating wears and common points of failures, what went wrong and possibly how it could have been fixed. The article may well be featured on DFI homepage which regularly features articles from other contributors.
I shall try my best to bring out the facts to do justice.

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir, a while back on the SF thread you mentioned that an advantage the Mepro MOR sight had over the COMP M4 was it does not require a battery to use it unless the lasers were required, how important is it for a magnified sight to have or not require batteries? Like the Trijicon ACOG uses Tritium and Fibreoptics for maintaining illumination, but modern battery powered mangnified sights like the SIG Bravo 5x30mm have a battery life of 40,000 hours(1667 days) and cost half the price? Does this somewhat negate the price premium of the ACOG in a hypothetical situation?
Then the sight with the battery should be preferred, carrying an extra duracell is prudent.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles