Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flying Dagger

Country flag
First of dont get me wrong, i have no doubts about Steyrs quality. I just find it a bit of a overeach to claim its better than its western competitors based on the Aug and the Glock.

All weapon systems have problems in the real world. And Real world is not the sterile envoirment of Western Europe

Please read about the experience of Aussie Soldiers with the AUG in 1999 in East Timor. Glock i get. Its a police fire arm. Steyr Aug is used all over the world? how many of those countries have put it in combat? In GWOT all the Aug carrying armies field AR-15 platforms from what i can see.

Well hollywood (Die Hard) made them famous.

Its an HK improvement. There are a number of indept articles written by reputed publications on the subject.

Hmm so when Mercedes Benz comes to India and sets up a plant - they hire Indian engineers, workers, managers who dont have the decades of experience of MB employees in Germany. The indian plant will not produce same quality cars?

Your above is a fallacy of Argument once you actually read on the process of setting up Caracal operations in Dubai.

First it's not HK in Dubai but a new firm.

then again it depends on how much automatisation is involved the quality of raw materials they procure for production etc various factors comes into play.

And there will be issues and differences infact japan firms went through the quality control issues in Indian factories and later brought tough measures to control it.

You have mentioned that western rifles have issues in real world but same western rifles are employed everywhere Infact you are talking abt the same western rifle and it's derivative by caracal and suddenly it becomes better than rest ?

If western rifles have issues than tell me which non western rifles doesn't have issue that you were talking abt ? 🙂

Now it's completely senseless from hereon.

Hollywood made bullpup famous ?
Ok I agree SF all over the world and armies like IDF must be a huge Hollywood junkies.

CAR is going to beat HK by making a derivative of HK 416 which possess many more designers engineers etc to do job.

Between South Korea also claim their version derived from CAR is better than original.

That a never ending tale.

Little bit more on RS 556

Last edited:

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Indian Army is in love with ww2 sterling carbine.
Pak army also loves using g3 rifle. Its still a potent weapon.
People will try to replace these old weapons but still they are quiet effective in battlefield
G3 is still capable of doing its job sterling is on the same level as asmi it cant be considered a carbine but a full auto pistol the army is looking for carbines with length of 800mm fundamentally different and using 5.56

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Indian Army don't like insas rifle at all.
Even Indian army used to prefer slr over insas.
So insas will be replaced in near future.
But sterling replacement will take time
The Battle Rifle Army bought is DI, The assault rifle we get has a fixed foldable stock, the carbine we’ll get is not even known lol.

Maitreya Shyam

Country flag
Indian Army don't like insas rifle at all.
Even Indian army used to prefer slr over insas.
So insas will be replaced in near future.
But sterling replacement will take time
Sterling is now used in very very small number and now only navy vbss and other CAPF or state police use this gun

Ayushraj

Country flag
The Battle Rifle Army bought is DI, The assault rifle we get has a fixed foldable stock, the carbine we’ll get is not even known lol.
Battle rifle is replaced since insas proved to be ineffective against pak army at loc and terrorist operations. It gave Diminsing results. Mostly its able to injure soldier. Kill probability was low
So Indian Army procured sig in large numbers.
Even ak are also used in CT operations and against naxals currently

Marliii

Country flag
BSF bought a lot of berreta cx4 storm sterling should be replaced by asmi or JVPC .but the carbine tender army has issued is for not replacing sterling it is for a Carbine aka SBR for shock,airborne troops

Marliii

Country flag
Tavor tar is most used close quater combat.
So Indian Army is lazy to replace sterling carbine.
Since tavor tar proved to be effective close quarter rifle
They are trying since 2000s but our system is the best so we are still using ww2 era gun britishers used to knock nazis

rkhanna

Country flag
You have mentioned that western rifles have issues in real world but same western rifles are employed everywhere Infact you are talking abt the same western rifle and it's derivative by caracal and suddenly it becomes better than rest ?
Sir I am not stating Caracal is better than the rest. I am simply refuting that Steyr guns are better than the rest including Caracal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles