Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flying Dagger

Country flag
What about Steyr STM 556 for carbine role??
View attachment 84634

Steyr Austria have any local partnership for the tender ?

Their quality standard is world class and so is the rifle.. but it might be expensive I doubt they will be able to match caracal or even IWI Arad for the price... Let's see

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag

Their quality standard is world class and so is the rifle.. but it might be expensive I doubt they will be able to match caracal or even IWI Arad for the price... Let's see
Did steyr participate in any carbine contract?

rkhanna

Country flag

For the amount it will cost we can get Daniel Defence AR15s. Not to mention the Caracal 816s.

That being said SIG would give us the highest discount due to the 716 contract

Flying Dagger

Country flag
For the amount it will cost we can get Daniel Defence AR15s. Not to mention the Caracal 816s.

That being said SIG would give us the highest discount due to the 716 contract
Steyr / RS556 would be expensive than Daniel or Caracal but their product quality will be definitely better too specially with caracal we don't know much . Steyr have a reputation for their arms.

Sig didn't gave us any special discount last time they provided us a DI rifle that's why the cost was low

But for carbine , DI rifles doesn't provide much reliability with shorter barrels unlike piston ones. So we aren't going to get a DI one as carbine.

The one offered Sig mcx , for which cost will be high.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Why would Steyr quality be definetly better?
Why ? It's Austrian They have a history of quality small arms.. from Glocks to Steyr AUG , infact the civilian version reviews are pretty good with many calling it as best AR.

With caracal we only know the designers were from same HK stable but the production is run by arabs. Its only my opinion anyway I doubt they are even part of IA tender.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Not yet but Australia offered the famous Steyr AUG bullpup derivative Austeyr to us which they manufacture under license production.

Though IA will go for a conventional one and they should have invited Austria Steyr for it the OEM.
F90, is good but I don’t think IA will go for bullpups.

rkhanna

Country flag
Why ? It's Austrian They have a history of quality small arms.. from Glocks to Steyr AUG , infact the civilian version reviews are pretty good with many calling it as best AR.

With caracal we only know the designers were from same HK stable but the production is run by arabs. Its only my opinion anyway I doubt they are even part of IA tender.
All western small arm manufactures have had issues in real world conditions. On the other hand Daniel Defence small arms are out to work by SOCOM every day.

How much has styer weaponary been tested outside Europe? All the Aussie/NZ operators in Astan and Iraq come with AR15 no?

On Caracal. UAE provided the money. But all standards and reviews the caracal 816 outperforms the Hk416. The designers are not just from HK. They hold the major IP patents of HK AND SIG. They build the entire factory from nuts and bolts themselves and have slaves over QC from raw materials to end product.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
All western small arm manufactures have had issues in real world conditions. On the other hand Daniel Defence small arms are out to work by SOCOM every day.

How much has styer weaponary been tested outside Europe? All the Aussie/NZ operators in Astan and Iraq come with AR15 no?

On Caracal. UAE provided the money. But all standards and reviews the caracal 816 outperforms the Hk416. The designers are not just from HK. They hold the major IP patents of HK AND SIG. They build the entire factory from nuts and bolts themselves and have slaves over QC from raw materials to end product.
Western weapons have problem in real world ? And you are talking abt caracal a derivative of western HK ? 🙂

STEYR weaponry is famous and used allover the world from famous Glock series to STEYR AUG just check the number of armies using their products instead of asking me.

Infact they are the reason bullpups became famous among many army.
Australia main weapon is STEYR AUG derivative.

Western rifles are being used all over the world whether HK Steyr FN etc and no one's complaining

Caracal it's a HK derivative, is cheaper and hopefully good too

You don't get the level of quality and experience Earned over decades just because you have good prototypes so caracal have a long way to walk . May be they will be able to replicate the success .

rkhanna

Country flag
First of dont get me wrong, i have no doubts about Steyrs quality. I just find it a bit of a overeach to claim its better than its western competitors based on the Aug and the Glock.

Western weapons have problem in real world ? And you are talking abt caracal a derivative of western HK ? 🙂
All weapon systems have problems in the real world. And Real world is not the sterile envoirment of Western Europe

STEYR weaponry is famous and used allover the world from famous Glock series to STEYR AUG just check the number of armies using their products instead of asking me.
Please read about the experience of Aussie Soldiers with the AUG in 1999 in East Timor. Glock i get. Its a police fire arm. Steyr Aug is used all over the world? how many of those countries have put it in combat? In GWOT all the Aug carrying armies field AR-15 platforms from what i can see.

Also an article from 2019. The new batch of Aussie rifles had major production issues

Well hollywood (Die Hard) made them famous.

Its an HK improvement. There are a number of indept articles written by reputed publications on the subject.

You don't get the level of quality and experience Earned over decades just because you have good prototypes so caracal have a long way to walk . May be they will be able to replicate the success .
Hmm so when Mercedes Benz comes to India and sets up a plant - they hire Indian engineers, workers, managers who dont have the decades of experience of MB employees in Germany. The indian plant will not produce same quality cars?

Your above is a fallacy of Argument once you actually read on the process of setting up Caracal operations in Dubai.

Last edited:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

Western rifles are being used all over the world whether HK Steyr FN etc and no one's complaining

I sometimes feel bored on forums, kuchh hota hai nahi discuss karne layak aur halat Pakistan defence forum jaisi ho jaati hai jahaan bas discussion hota hi ki bas aisa hona chahiye, waisa hona chahiye, yeh badhiya hoga wo badhiya rahega. Carbines for IA are pending since eternity.

Ayushraj

Country flag
I sometimes feel bored on forums, kuchh hota hai nahi discuss karne layak aur halat Pakistan defence forum jaisi ho jaati hai jahaan bas discussion hota hi ki bas aisa hona chahiye, waisa hona chahiye, yeh badhiya hoga wo badhiya rahega. Carbines for IA are pending since eternity.
Indian Army is in love with ww2 sterling carbine.
Pak army also loves using g3 rifle. Its still a potent weapon.
People will try to replace these old weapons but still they are quiet effective in battlefield

Global Defence

New threads

Articles