Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
This particular configuration, we can't. The SLRs we have/had are not the Para-FAL variant (with foldable stock, with the spring assembly tucked into the receiver itself). We have the traditional SLR/FAL with the spring jutting out way into the stock:

So no folding stocks for us. Though I've seen one prototype OFB-made folding stock SLR in a video of Ishapore museum. Likely they experimented with the concept, and perhaps made a handful (like the full-auto 1C SLR) but it never saw any widespread production or use, not even as much as the 1C SLR did.

Either way, a modernized SLR would have been a great way forward - IF we had no other choice. When you're adding brand spanking new AR-10s like the 716 to the armoury, wasting any amount of money in procuring upgrade kits for some old, poorly-made SLRs is bonkers. Might as well spend that money for procuring optics, grips etc. for the 716s we're already buying.
It's easy peasy to convert older fixed stock FALs to 'PARA' ones, just requires replacement of plain top cover with para-style one having recoil spring guide rod on it and some minor tweaks in bolt carrier (with removal of that link and drilling a cylindrical cut for recoil spring etc)
DS Arms themselves sell 'kits' for PARA conversion having ready-made parts for it.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Unpopular opinion but instead of INSAS we should've just got license+ToT for FN FNC (preferebly in swedish AK-5 style configuration with no 3-round burst and with bolt catch) here when we were transitioning from 7.62 NATO SLR i.e. a battle rifle to assault rifle.
In many ways it was a rifle which was appropriate for her time as well as easy to upgrade with rails etc when it arrived, and with kalashnikov-vy construction reliable,easy to maintain for our regular jawan too.
by now we could easily have upgraded FNC to something like this
1617995595745.png

Or like Indonesians we could've also developed our own iteration of FNC like they did with later Pindad rifles.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
What is strange is that there is no noise in the media or by government about AK-203 deal, coinciding with Russian FM Lavrov's visit.

Normally, you would find a lot press releases, signed MOUs about JVs and other programmes with such state visits. But this time there is suprisingly no noise.
That is what bothering me.
Its eerily quiet.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Bothering ?

If it doesn't happen good for us...

They will be getting cut in the profit for each rifle manufactured and royalty too they are the one who have to gain from this deal... We have cheaper and better option available around the world.
No , I don't want to wait more, 2013 me toi me first report tha , we are still waiting

Flying Dagger

Country flag
No , I don't want to wait more, 2013 me toi me first report tha , we are still waiting
Wait for what ?

Army is replacing rifles at a good pace withing two years we will be getting 1.4+ lakh Sig 716 and there are already lots of Aks available with army. Carbine tender will bring another AR into the mix so if this AK deal doesn't go through we will be replacing them with a better rifle anyway.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Wait for what ?

Army is replacing rifles at a good pace withing two years we will be getting 1.4+ lakh Sig 716 and there are already lots of Aks available with army. Carbine tender will bring another AR into the mix so if this AK deal doesn't go through we will be replacing them with a better rifle anyway.
There is always a balance between diplomacy , national interest ( minimal share ) and electoral promises ( the lions share )
T
You are thinking from the view point of a patriot, I am thinking or trying to think from the view point of a babu , and modi is thinking about electoral gains and investment due to that factory there .
India should go for the ak 203 , anyway it will give russia assurance so as not to ignore us for that porkistan .
Russians might just sell weapons to them , just to smite us probably ( they already do, just not advance once )
This deal is crucial along with s400 to balance indian interest with russia and usa .
India has bought many weapons from amrika , now that must be halted for a while , army should not reorder sigs , plus ak 203 will bring overall uniformity in the soldiers, instead of a plethora of kalashnikov and mods we see today.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
There is always a balance between diplomacy , national interest ( minimal share ) and electoral promises ( the lions share )
T
You are thinking from the view point of a patriot, I am thinking or trying to think from the view point of a babu , and modi is thinking about electoral gains and investment due to that factory there .
India should go for the ak 203 , anyway it will give russia assurance so as not to ignore us for that porkistan .
Russians might just sell weapons to them , just to smite us probably ( they already do, just not advance once )
This deal is crucial along with s400 to balance indian interest with russia and usa .
India has bought many weapons from amrika , now that must be halted for a while , army should not reorder sigs , plus ak 203 will bring overall uniformity in the soldiers, instead of a plethora of kalashnikov and mods we see today.
You can't balance international relations out by importing weapons if you seek better relation invest in russia and create a market for your product and their product here.

Porks already have AK 103 with their army and have developed a local copy too. Russia will definitely sell their weapons to whoever can pay them the bucks it's a matter of business.

Rest have been discussed many times.

Sig is a done deal . Carbine tender will finalised another AR platform probably.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Mate, I only wanted modernised SLRs with CAPF and more importantly the State Armed Police Forces. Since CAPF is modernising they might buy a brand new Battle Rifle for DMR role, but State Police Forces are turned a blind eye for modernising, hence weapons present in their arsenal like Lee Enfields, SLRs are to be moded for sniper and DMR role respectively!! As far as standard issue assault weapons is concerned, the AK-203 deal if selected for the army, then this same rifle should be issued to the state police as well, albeit they already have Bulgarian arsenals around!!
State police is buying SLR from OFBs at high price ... If I remember 200+ were delivered to kerala police couple years back.

But when they shift to arsenal or Aks the same ofbs will cry indigenous indigenous. 😂

JBH22

Wait for what ?

Sig Sauer does not have a carbine to offer. Would make sense to standardise on same family of rifles.

Global Defence

Articles