Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
This is what we should buy from Russia!
View attachment 83230
Totally agree. If not for army, we could buy those 9mm beauty for Capfs instead of much costlier MP5s, accuracy of this one id good so is reliability though MP5s even after 40byears still rules the global market.
Also the short barreled Ak versions in 7.62x39 is the one worth trying for Ghatak units, SF and various other commando units like NSG, SOG etc.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
If we had our stockpile of 5.45x39mm then going for AK-74M or future iterations would have made sense but we missed that chance, so No.
So either 5.56x45mm or 7.62x39mm AK for us.
5.56 Ak aint any match for the western counterparts but those in 7.62 is worth the money when you consider the cost to effectivity ratio. Its true Galil Ace, and Bren may have a slight advantage but the cost dont justify just like the cost dont justify buying a Hk416 over a top end M4

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Totally agree. If not for army, we could buy those 9mm beauty for Capfs instead of much costlier MP5s, accuracy of this one id good so is reliability though MP5s even after 40byears still rules the global market.
Also the short barreled Ak versions in 7.62x39 is the one worth trying for Ghatak units, SF and various other commando units like NSG, SOG etc.
Bhaee we already have Amogh here, if ever needed then just get a 9x19mm version of it instead of importing same thing from Rossiya 🤷‍♂️

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
5.56 Ak aint any match for the western counterparts but those in 7.62 is worth the money when you consider the cost to effectivity ratio. Its true Galil Ace, and Bren may have a slight advantage but the cost dont justify just like the cost dont justify buying a Hk416 over a top end M4
by 5.56mm AK i referred to INSAS, was not talking about getting anything imported or so.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
It's 5.45 *39 AK round and it has actually good performance in comparison to 5.56 *45 mm. There is another round 6.5*39 Grendel derived out of this which provide overall better performance in comparison to 7.62 or other smaller round.

Low recoil and higher accuracy of 5.45*39 round in comparison to 7.62 AK is the reason russia moved to AK 74 .

Problem with Indian made ammunition is quality ( and Armor used by Terrorists and enemy army) due to which we are so much discontent with 5.56 NATO that we opted for 7.62 NATO which is almost a sniper round now.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Bhaee we already have Amogh here, if ever needed then just get a 9x19mm version of it instead of importing same thing from Rossiya 🤷‍♂️
Did anyone ever heard anything about the performance of that weapon? Only coadt guard uses it.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Did anyone ever heard anything about the performance of that weapon? Only coadt guard uses it.
It is serving just fine, besides Indian Navy's VBSS and many police forces are also using it,
IA not opting it and waiting for MSMC//JVPC was a mistake if you'd ask me, like hell imagine giving up on a ready firearm for one to-be-developed one. Amogh is practically same to INSAS (or Kalashnikov in general) in terms of handling, disassembly etc so some commonality could also have helped in reducing training "cost".
While Amogh was rejected and MSMC//JVPC got stretched, they had to keep using dem Sterlings and in place of that some units had to be given B&T MP9 or such alternatives 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Which is better for our basic infantry needs?? AK-74M or AK 203???
The reason why I asked this question is, the weapon which is supposed to be standardised weapon for our infantrymen, should be the same weapon that should replace Lee Enfields as a standard issue weapons for normal armed police battalions.
Plus when more orders are placed, then the cost is reduced which would be a steal.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The reason why I asked this question is, the weapon which is supposed to be standardised weapon for our infantrymen, should be the same weapon that should replace Lee Enfields as a standard issue weapons for normal armed police battalions.
Plus when more orders are placed, then the cost is reduced which would be a steal.
yeah a lot of Kalashnikovs have already replaced many old gen firearms in police forces so maybe some of the AK-203* will also end up there

*if the deal happens.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
I thought Azerbaijani military standard issue weapon was AK-74M but turns out even their SOF used it, despite having tavors, m4s, etc. Plus I saw a tweet saying that SOF operatives felt AK-74M was superior than others.
Look at the magazine, it's pretty rare nowadays!!

Fire and groove

Country flag
It is serving just fine, besides Indian Navy's VBSS and many police forces are also using it,
IA not opting it and waiting for MSMC//JVPC was a mistake if you'd ask me, like hell imagine giving up on a ready firearm for one to-be-developed one. Amogh is practically same to INSAS (or Kalashnikov in general) in terms of handling, disassembly etc so some commonality could also have helped in reducing training "cost".
While Amogh was rejected and MSMC//JVPC got stretched, they had to keep using dem Sterlings and in place of that some units had to be given B&T MP9 or such alternatives 🤷‍♂️
It's just another shitty INSAS with extra steps. Why would any logical institution spend hundreds of millions of dollars on what is basically the INSAS with a shorter barrel and cosmetic changes. Tell me, what exactly does amogh bring to the table? Did they even make it bolt free? It has a single picatinny rail, where are we supposed to mount the foregrip? What happens if the infantry has to operate in an urban environment at night? Where do they mount their PEQs?

I'd rather get shot and be done with than go through the torture of using this DPSU excrement-of-a-rifle.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles