Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
What is the total number of soldiers in an infantry battalion?
A guess.
1 battalion is usually 5 company: alpha, bravo, charlie, delta and company headquarter support. An infantry battalion in IA has around 120 fighting troops plus support element, so it will be around 700-1000 troops per battalion. Whereas RR battalions at times have over 1000 in a battalion.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Total infantrymen is around 400000 to 440000
In 15 Infantary regiments of IA

Gessler

Country flag
QC issues on Russian Army's newly adopted AK-12s...

Gotta say, kinda disappointed in the kind of sh!t coming out of an otherwise 'well-reputed' plant like Izhevsk. The first picture & the last one are prime examples of illustrating a failure in quality control. They've been making polymer handguards for decades (from AK-74M onwards) and long-stroke piston tubes for well over half a century...but lack of proper QC can introduce problems even into procedures that were otherwise considered 'been there done that'.

This is also why I have very little faith in AK203s made at OFB Korwa to be of any better QC standard than most INSAS are. They are going to be objectively worse in terms of quality control compared to even these worst examples of Izhevsk workmanship.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Not all the members of the infantry battalion is armed with assault rifles like insas.

If Sigs were to be made the standard assault rifle replacing Insas, what is the total requirement? Given that we already brought around 1.44 lacs.

Lost user

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Not all the members of the infantry battalion is armed with assault rifles like insas.

If Sigs were to be made the standard assault rifle replacing Insas, what is the total requirement? Given that we already brought around 1.44 lacs. SO, order another lot of 70000 rifles, I guess..
400 battalions of Infantry with an average of say 500 assault weapon carrying soldiers.. ?
So, maybe 2 lakh Sig rifles...?

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
QC issues on Russian Army's newly adopted AK-12s...

Gotta say, kinda disappointed in the kind of sh!t coming out of an otherwise 'well-reputed' plant like Izhevsk. The first picture & the last one are prime examples of illustrating a failure in quality control. They've been making polymer handguards for decades (from AK-74M onwards) and long-stroke piston tubes for well over half a century...but lack of proper QC can introduce problems even into procedures that were otherwise considered 'been there done that'.

This is also why I have very little faith in AK203s made at OFB Korwa to be of any better QC standard than most INSAS are. They are going to be objectively worse in terms of quality control compared to even these worst examples of Izhevsk workmanship.
I've read it on 4chan where a russian guy was complaining about dealing with the choyneez like how they supplied substandard raw materials for metalworks etc.
Seems like one hell of a case of choyneez maal to me, since fall of the USSR many important supplies are coming from choyna in rossiya and it may have resulted in this QC mishap; rest design wise it doesn't seem that bad to me.

But yeah OFB's track record is even more shoddier when it comes to QC so better be careful with dealing with Izhevsk // Kalashnikov Concern if certain supplies are coming from their side, which **might** be coming from choyna in long run and so.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Well the total number as I inferred before if Sig doesn't come up with serious issues is around 2 lakhs+. Rest will get Carbines sniper LMG etc.

There are 382 battalions and around 60 mechanised/armoured etc.

1 have approx 900 jawans.

Let's say they are going to equip 60% of them with Sig as it will be a standard battle rifle for them.

It will be around 2 lakh plus guess

That means this order of another 70 thousand plus rifles may follow another one of same size atleast.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Correct. So the rest of the Infantry will be equipped with Caracal? AK203 ?

Can the Army please also give a press release on how resupply operations will be carried out in combat conditions?
That is the main point they fail to answer. AR-15s should be made standard Assault Rifle and Carbines.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Then what do you want? 7.62x51 + 7.62x39 + 5.56x45? Even our Standard Dragunov DMR uses 7.62x54mmR. So much inconsistency in a single battalion.
That's army's call not mine.

Dragunov will be phased out once their life is over we won't be using them again for sure.

Personally I suggest 6.8 round for all purpose that include LMG.

For sniper 7.62 NATO or .338 Lapua

rkhanna

Country flag
That's army's call not mine.

Dragunov will be phased out once their life is over we won't be using them again for sure.

Personally I suggest 6.8 round for all purpose that include LMG.

For sniper 7.62 NATO or .338 Lapua
Don't worry, the Americans may go with 6.8mm as their future rifle calibre. Trust the Army will issue RFPs soon after

Global Defence

New threads

Articles