Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Shotguns are useless for a country like India, they're only good for swat teams which have to clear a small amount of area quickly At close range, UP Police maintains stocks of 12 gauge pump action shotguns from OFB which are used for crowd control purposes, also known "pellet guns" in kashmir. (used by crpf and bsf in kashmir). Other than that these are only good for hunting animals.
Can be used by NSG, CRPF QRT and COBRA Commandos, RR, City police SWATs, Forest Rangers.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Lol why would COBRA, CRPF QRT and RR use a shotgun? Forest rangers already use ofb 12 gauge shotguns.
Because of Close Quarter engagement and door room clearance!!! Shortguns are really versatile in breaking doors and locks!!

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
And I'm saying again There's no term such as a district armed police. Special task forces have a different chain of command and report directly to state hq and work as an auxiliary force. Every police department in india is armed.
I really get confused in the structure, can you look at this and tell me if its correct??

Harbinger

कसाई
Because of Close Quarter engagement and door room clearance!!! Shortguns are really versatile in breaking doors and locks!!
COBRA's job is to hunt and kill naxals with state police, they don't have to breach cramped buildings so I don't see any use for a shotgun. You do realise any kind of shotgun doesn't have an effective range beyond 50-60M? A 9MM pistol can hit farther and more accurately than a shotgun which just spreads small metal splinters in a radius of 40-50m?

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
COBRA's job is to hunt and kill naxals with state police, they don't have to breach cramped buildings so I don't see any use for a shotgun. You do realise any kind of shotgun doesn't have an effective range beyond 50-60M? A 9MM pistol can hit farther and more accurately than a shotgun which just spreads small metal splinters in a radius of 40-50m?
Yes yes, OK not useful in jungle warfare, but certainly in Urban scenario!!

Harbinger

कसाई
I really get confused in the structure, can you look at this and tell me if its correct??
What he has explained as "unarmed branch" works in background you don't see or interact with them, they work within the boundaries of a police station. The cops you see on roadside belong to the "armed branch"

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
What he has explained as "unarmed branch" works in background you don't see or interact with them, they work within the boundaries of a police station. The cops you see on roadside belong to the "armed branch"
I think he does mention armed brance at the end of the article!!
Screenshot_20210309_131743.jpg

Harbinger

कसाई
I think he does mention armed brance at the end of the article!!
View attachment 80920
That's exactly what i said. he has used those terms to give a normal civilian an idea of structure. There's no distinction of "armed" and "unarmed" within the police department. Those who do the office job are simply referred as staffs by policemen, and they're called "unarmed" him in that article.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
That's exactly what i said. he has used those terms to give a normal civilian an idea of structure. There's no distinction of "armed" and "unarmed" exist within the police department. Those who do the office job are simply referred as staffs by policemen, and they're called "unarmed" him in that article.
Noice, so everyone is trained with weapons then!! Cool, in times of emergency only weapons would be in shortage, not manpower!!

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Because optics aren't meant to be placed directly on the dust cover of AKs, they don't get un-zeroed if you mount it on the side mount, AKs have side mounts for that very reason
AK-203 have rails on the dust cover sirji, IA already mounts optics on the dust cover of FAB MOD AK-47s. Wonder what do these guys think.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
AK 203 uses a flash hider which decreases the gun "climb" so it'll not affect the sights much.
Vibrations don’t come from muzzle climb sirji, it comes from the gas system inside the AK-47, especially that long stroke one... that‘s why AK-47’s recoil really kicks while AR-15’s short stroke one’s recoil is extended.

Harbinger

कसाई
AK-203 have rails on the dust cover sirji, IA already mounts optics on the dust cover of FAB MOD AK-47s. Wonder what do these guys think.
Can't say about fab AKs but older arsenal AKs have side mounts for sights except the under folding variant probably because from i what i have noticed first hand, their dust covers are kind of loose.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Talking about standard issue weapons, pls tell me some standard issue weapons for our police forces (not special units) to replace Lee Enfields!!
Mine is Bulgarian Arsenal

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles