Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Then what else?
Fauj should have bought those galils wholesale. ( I know many will disagree, fine now after 10 years I dont care at all)
Just get rid of insas.
SSS Defence AK derivative seems promising but the handguard is awkward.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I think the whole Infantry should standardize on 7.62*51 mm round only. The frontline troops have already being issued with Sigs with a total of 1.44 L coming in. This concept of frontline vs. non-frontline was done during Bipin Rawat was CDS, to save cost from importing a lot of rifles from abroad. However, with the repeat order of 72K and AK-203 deal in limbo, this frontline vs. non-frontline concept should be abolished. It will be a logistical nightmare, since we are already considering building up conventional forces against China, and troops are gradually getting de-inducted from C&I with CRPFs stepping in to fill that role.

Fire and groove

Country flag
I think the whole Infantry should standardize on 7.62*51 mm round only. The frontline troops have already being issued with Sigs with a total of 1.44 L coming in. This concept of frontline vs. non-frontline was done during Bipin Rawat was CDS, to save cost from importing a lot of rifles from abroad. However, with the repeat order of 72K and AK-203 deal in limbo, this frontline vs. non-frontline concept should be abolished. It will be a logistical nightmare, since we are already considering building up conventional forces against China, and troops are gradually getting de-inducted from C&I with CRPFs stepping in to fill that role.
Yeah ,no. That's a very bad idea. 7.62x51mm caliber rifles are meant to fullfill the role of battle rifles and are not meant to be used pretty much anywhere except in select theaters and locations where the range and power is needed. Using a 7.62x51mm in the jungle or in urban environments for example will end up with your soldiers being outgunned by the enemy who can put more shots down range thanks to significantly better recoil. What we need is to transition to 6.5 creedmoor for rifles, DMRs and machine guns and train our guys better in combat shooting and urban warfare instead of that shitty marksmanship module we have in training.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Even the americans are equiping only 1 in 4 with it and adding a new calibre is foolishness

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Better buy out the same firearms with different barrel lengths for Assault Rifles and carbines both.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
It is an AK. 'Nuff said.
But AK-203 will be good only when the original one is procured, this AK-103M renamed as AK-203 is useless, there are other AK vendors like Arsenal, who offer better AKs, but then you needed Sabka Vikas for your Ruskie brothers...

Killbot

Country flag
But AK-203 will be good only when the original one is procured, this AK-103M renamed as AK-203 is useless, there are other AK vendors like Arsenal, who offer better AKs, but then you needed Sabka Vikas for your Ruskie brothers...
Not what I meant. There are enough AKs in India. We need a change. AK platform is not nearly as modular or suited for modern combat as a western design.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Not what I meant. There are enough AKs in India. We need a change. AK platform is not nearly as modular or suited for modern combat as a western design.
Sirji IA wants, AKs. I also heard that Optics placed on the dust cover of AK-47s lose zero while firing due to vibration? If that is true then why are we even buying AKs? Then the AKs will be good only for a few rounds then it will be a nightmare.

Killbot

Country flag
Sirji IA wants, AKs. I also heard that Optics placed on the dust cover of AK-47s lose zero while firing due to vibration? If that is true then why are we even buying AKs? Then the AKs will be good only for a few rounds then it will be a nightmare.
Well, you said it.

Harbinger

कसाई
If you remember, I asked you the same question in Indian Police Thread, where some states have district armed police, especially in naxal hit areas.
And I'm saying again There's no term such as a district armed police. Special task forces have a different chain of command and report directly to state hq and work as an auxiliary force. Every police department in india is armed.

Harbinger

कसाई
Shotguns are useless for a country like India, they're only good for swat teams which have to clear a small amount of area quickly At close range, UP Police maintains stocks of 12 gauge pump action shotguns from OFB which are used for crowd control purposes, also known "pellet guns" in kashmir. (used by crpf and bsf in kashmir). Other than that these are only good for hunting animals.
Fostech's origin 12 semi auto shortgun. Can dry 30 round drum magazine in 10 seconds!!
View attachment 80709

Harbinger

कसाई
Because optics aren't meant to be placed directly on the dust cover of AKs, they don't get un-zeroed if you mount it on the side mount, AKs have side mounts for that very reason

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Yeah ,no. That's a very bad idea. 7.62x51mm caliber rifles are meant to fullfill the role of battle rifles and are not meant to be used pretty much anywhere except in select theaters and locations where the range and power is needed. Using a 7.62x51mm in the jungle or in urban environments for example will end up with your soldiers being outgunned by the enemy who can put more shots down range thanks to significantly better recoil. What we need is to transition to 6.5 creedmoor for rifles, DMRs and machine guns and train our guys better in combat shooting and urban warfare instead of that shitty marksmanship module we have in training.
The choice of 7.62*51 mm is from the Army itself. The reason for the decision to go for AK based rifles for non-frontline troops is not any doctrinal reasons, but on the assumption that it would be cheaper.

7.62* 39 mm only makes sense in C&I operations, from which army is slowly trying to remove itself and pass the mantle to CRPF.

However, as it turns out the Russian's are quoting prices which are even higher than imported Sigs. So standardizing Sig's or something in same caliber makes sense now, if prices are kept down.

Also, any talk of 6.5 or 6.8 mm or any new (and unproven) caliber is Khayali pulao at this moment. Army is not going to induct something based on that for the next decade or so at least. It is going to be 7.62*51, 7.62*39 and 5.56*45 mm only.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles