Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I wanna know who trains our troops to hold INSAS like this while aiming at enemies.

View attachment 80417
This is what we got staying close to Soviet Union, even our soldiers are taught that Soviet Rifle Holding stance that even the Soviets rubbished.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Anyone has any info about the t4 rifle made by taurus

Gessler

Country flag
@Johny_Baba

Do you have any info about the figures of INSAS regarding distance between the back of buttplate to rear sight (wrt eye relief) and the distance between rear & front sight posts (sight radius)...cuz I have a feeling they were made to be as close to the SLR's figures as possible.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
@Johny_Baba

Do you have any info about the figures of INSAS regarding distance between the back of buttplate to rear sight (wrt eye relief) and the distance between rear & front sight posts (sight radius)...cuz I have a feeling they were made to be as close to the SLR's figures as possible.
Na bhai, will try to ask around, for now i believe in your observation that eye relief (or dist. between buttstock end and rear iron sight post) is almost similar in both but sight radius (dist. between rear and front iron sight posts) is slightly less (about two inches maybe) in INSAS than SLR based on my personal observation of firearms in hands of police etc.

Rest sight radius between both M4A1 and AK is almost same, AK one is just put quite far from shooter's eye,they may have rectified it in modern AKs with those AK-12/15 etc things; and we still opted for AK-203 = vanilla AK sights huh 😒 Imagine transition from AR inspired peep sights to crude AK iron sights,you know,from INSAS to AK-203 ( = 103M)
1615014593029.png

I kinda agree to one point that AK-12/15 etc has got this two-round burst mode (and a mechanism for that likely) that is kinda undesired for the army after experiences on INSAS but they easily could've asked for a "vanilla" AK-12/15 instead without such fire mode...if they could ask for such thing on AK-203 by downgrading it to AK-103M,you know...

Last edited:

Harbinger

कसाई
All these Carbines are half hearted efforts.

Army needs to rationalise their ammunition and 5.56 NATO is the choice for carbine.

TAR carbine is for CRPF etc not army. We will be opting for AR based carbine whether caracal or Sig provide that.

Answer to german hegemony is ASMI and hopefully a HK416 / 7 clone from OFB. OFB must do that if they wish to survive.

Indra and SSS defence also have their offerings hopefully their products turn out good.
Using anything more than 5.56mm for assault purpose by infantry (7.62x39mm) is totally absurd. In jungle ops police and capf spray and pray most of the time with AKs, owing to the jungle conditions it works but using the same in conventional warfare is insanity.

Harbinger

कसाई
@Johny_Baba

Can't tell you the exact measurements but since I've handled both slr and insas, i would say yes, the distance almost feels identical.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Using anything more than 5.56mm for assault purpose by infantry (7.62x39mm) is totally absurd. In jungle ops police and capf spray and pray most of the time with AKs, owing to the jungle conditions it works but using the same in conventional warfare is insanity.
Well Infantry do need better than 5.56 ammo and the answer is 6.8 /6.5 rounds which must replace 7.62 AK round too.

Our jawans in Jungle warfare prefer AKs due to reliability else Naxals rarely have armour apart from few they managed to snatch and collect over the years.

If we can provide them a compact AR with 5.56 NATO or 6.5/6.8 they'll be more than happy.

Harbinger

कसाई
Well Infantry do need better than 5.56 ammo and the answer is 6.8 /6.5 rounds which must replace 7.62 AK round too.

Our jawans in Jungle warfare prefer AKs due to reliability else Naxals rarely have armour apart from few they managed to snatch and collect over the years.

If we can provide them a compact AR with 5.56 NATO or 6.5/6.8 they'll be more than happy.
Well the units in anti naxal ops are divided into "sections " the front one, mainly with officers carry the AKs the middle one usually carry 5.56mm rifles like insas and x95 or tavor (what could be more compact?, sometimes officers carry them too) so it's not about what is "preferred" by jawans, I've seen these ops from close, it all depends on what is issued to whom, so AKs and insas' (or any 5.56mm weapon) are divided into an equal ratio when it comes to naxal ops.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I think after 26/11, there started a trend of many state Police commando forces joint training with nsg, cisf.

Thus many of them bought stated inducting sig 550 series rifles in their inventory. Now, these weapons are common in city level SWAT teams, as well as anti-naxal operation.

Harbinger

कसाई
In
I think after 26/11, there started a trend of many state Police commando forces joint training with nsg, cisf.

Thus many of them bought stated inducting sig 550 series rifles in their inventory. Now, these weapons are common in city level SWAT teams, as well as anti-naxal operation.
In anti naxal ops, SIGs are exclusive to Special Task force guys, or their commanding officer who is basically from State police service or ips. And these troopers in special task forces are on deputation from state police, once their deputation ends they are back to their district police force.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
In

In anti naxal ops, SIGs are exclusive to Special Task force guys, or their commanding officer who is basically from State police service or ips. And these troopers in special task forces are on deputation from state police, once their deputation ends they are back to their district police force.
If you remember, I asked you the same question in Indian Police Thread, where some states have district armed police, especially in naxal hit areas.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
How is one going to use Holographic Sights on this as it has no cheek riser?
1615178405804.jpeg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles