Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
But that doesnt mean selector of Insas is perfect.Position of R and S are easy to manipulate but manipulating it to burst fire position is not easy and you had to take almost of your palm from pistol grip. In that matter the fire selector of Sterling carbine is much easier and almost perfect in putting to all positions without taking your palm from the pistol grip.
That is plainly because INSAS' trigger group (specially that 3-round burst mechanism) is copied from FN CAL // FN FNC and if you observe positions of different fire mods on both of them it quite "overlaps" with one on INSAS

This is FN CAL
1614617752715.png

FN FNC
1614618007481.png

INSAS 1B and so
1614619213524.png

You can clearly see it that fire modes on INSAS are exactly same as there on FN CAL // FN FNC, it just differs to them in a way that it had to be "mirrored" because our guys chose to use "pointer" on fire selector located on opposite side of the thumb knob to indicate fire mode rather than Belgian way of simply using position of the selector itself to denote fire mode.

BUT there indeed were "Assault Rifle" variants of INSAS that practically mirrored Belgian Way by using fire selector itself to denote fire mode ,unfortunately not much pics out there
1614619529505.png

It can be seen here that (despite pic being dull or unclear) that there is no pointer to denote fire mode rather position of the fire selector is telling it that it's on 3-round burst mode, above that is full auto.

So yeah, it is rather crude copy from Belgians that resulted in that awkward fire selection on INSAS, albeit you don't need to take off hand to put it on 3-round burst mode,just rotate it towards trigger from pistol grip side and then push forward to put it on Burst mode, kinda awkward but still doable from firing hand; the way our guys doing it by using gripping hand seems training thing to me.

Edit - This is perhaps also SLR legacy on INSAS as we just kopied this particular shape of fire selector BUT instead of using thumb knob to denote fire mode like on SLR our guys decided to use that extra metal on opposite of thumb knob on SLR (meant as a stop, so fire selector could not be rotated further towards other side) as a pointer when INSAS was designed, me thinks.
1614620766904.png

Last edited:

Whitecollar

Country flag
Editing boys should be put on making gun designs.OFB still loves AK design and thinks anything that looks like ak is fucking reliable
Just take this above design, give foldable front sights, full picatinny top rail, AR style charging handle and you're golden!!

On top of all, I edited this on my mobile in just 20 mins!!

Spindrift

Modified the pic to accomodate front fixed sight, aftermarket magazine cover, front charging handle slot and retractable charging handle(as in INSAS 1B1), top picattiny rail and a EO tech optic.
Guys...what do you think of this ARINSAS??

View attachment 80251
Putting lipstick on a pig is an exercise in futility.

Killbot

Country flag
Modified the pic to accomodate front fixed sight, aftermarket magazine cover, front charging handle slot and retractable charging handle(as in INSAS 1B1), top picattiny rail and a EO tech optic.
Guys...what do you think of this ARINSAS??

View attachment 80251
Where is the gas block? Put a nice sexy AK upper there and you're golden. AR upper recoever doesn't attach to INSAS lower.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Where is the gas block? Put a nice sexy AK upper there and you're golden. AR upper recoever doesn't attach to INSAS lower.
Gas block is hidden inside the M Lok cover. The cover directly attaches to the receiver cover front. I couldn't find a nice AK upper to fix here so I tried to put the AR one. All in all, the 1B1 and 1C1, if built in these config, will definitely become our DESI SIG MCX!! We could lessen the barrel length tho.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Lmao 🤣🤣. No it won't. It'll just manage to stay relevant. Sig MCX is far, far away.
If I remember correctly, INSAS is excellent in single shot accuracy dept. If you talk about Excalibur MK1, it has an auto firing mode of which almost no video exists but given the battle proven INSAS DNA and slight heavy weight, it should fire in auto with minimal recoil. It may not be as stable or crisp like an MCX but if this design is given to any private firm having good QA/QC dept, trust me, INSAS can become 70% MCX.

Killbot

Country flag
If I remember correctly, INSAS is excellent in single shot accuracy dept. If you talk about Excalibur MK1, it has an auto firing mode of which almost no video exists but given the battle proven INSAS DNA and slight heavy weight, it should fire in auto with minimal recoil. It may not be as stable or crisp like an MCX but if this design is given to any private firm having good QA/QC dept, trust me, INSAS can become 70% MCX.
Excellent accuracy is a strong word. It is good compared to other AKs. Not anywhere close to even a cheap AR-15. Auto fire ain't important.

MCX can change barrels in field, and the amount of attention to detail like polymer bolt release, BCG shape, charging handle pins, recoil buffer, gas system, etc is nothing short of revolutionary. INSAS cannot hope to match the kind of utility and just sheer robustness of MCX. No AK can.

More to a gun than the aesthetics, bro. And Sig is constantly refining the gun. There have been over a dozen major changes to the original M13 MCX in the MCX Virtus. More in the MCX SPEAR. Can OFB match that? And no private company will invest too much in small arms R&D here. Too low returns for high investments.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Excellent accuracy is a strong word. It is good compared to other AKs. Not anywhere close to even a cheap AR-15. Auto fire ain't important.

MCX can change barrels in field, and the amount of attention to detail like polymer bolt release, BCG shape, charging handle pins, recoil buffer, gas system, etc is nothing short of revolutionary. INSAS cannot hope to match the kind of utility and just sheer robustness of MCX. No AK can.

More to a gun than the aesthetics, bro. And Sig is constantly refining the gun. There have been over a dozen major changes to the original M13 MCX in the MCX Virtus. More in the MCX SPEAR. Can OFB match that? And no private company will invest too much in small arms R&D here. Too low returns for high investments.
But at what cost sirji? With an MRP of 2200$ per piece(if separate 300 blackout barrel and parts are not bought), MCX remains a SINGLE CAL weapon for us. An average Excalibur MK1 would cost anywhere around 600$ to 800$ after all such mods done as above. Not only you can buy 3 modded Excaliburs but also optics for it can also be bought.
I agree 100% that MCX is a completely different beast and is my personal favourite NON AR rifle. But when it comes to arming 100s of thousands of soldiers with a rifle that is easy to learn, less on recoil, extreme condition tested, easy to disassemble and reinstall and cheap, then I guess nothing beats a regular INSAS family rifle. Now I am also 100% sure that if quality of materials like polymer, metal and quality of craftmanship is improved, INSAS will become one of the most versatile battle proven rifles to ever exist on earth(point here being cheap and easy to produce in mass).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles