Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Regarding SIG716i recoil issues,
one practical soltion for now could be to adopt to vertical grip en masse,make it standard issue with the rifle itself.
Something like this,
1614356516376.png

*Now i know it's SIG716G2 not 716i but due to lack of any pic had to put nearest thing as representative pic,hope you get the idea

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
Regarding SIG716i recoil issues,
one practical soltion for now could be to adopt to vertical grip en masse,make it standard issue with the rifle itself.
Something like this,
View attachment 79885
*Now i know it's SIG716G2 not 716i but due to lack of any pic had to put nearest thing as representative pic,hope you get the idea
Aren't foregrips being issued? As many AKs have it, so the SIGs should not be far from getting them.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
One thing that we could still do with our 1A SLRs is to convert them into 6.5x48mm (6.5mm Creedmoor), which may require minimum parts replacement on existing rifles (mostly only barrel change and some tinkering with gas system,iron sights etc) and we can still use these converted SLRs as DMR-esque rifles.

DS Arms were going to do it but they dropped the thing, maybe due to lack of market for FAL in that caliber in west

with this as a starting point maybe all 716is could be converted into Creedmoor in future ?

of course a challenge here would be to get different ammo that we've never used before but if it results in transition from 7.62 NATO to 6.5 Creedmoor then it is a good thing for all.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Dear God, that looks horrendous! I hope OFB doesn't paint the Sigs when they go for general overhaul.
😏 you think it's bad ? prepare your eyes for worse then!

John Deere AR-15
1614365396913.png

Hello Kitty Paint Scheme on California compliant AR-15!
1614365508064.png

1614365485512.png

This is not a nerf gun, not a toy, but a real AR-15
1614365566687.png

finally, meet Post-Apocalyptic AR-15

WARREN SS

Country flag
Iwi Arad is great option if we really want imported/License produced
We should rather trust our real partners

And Israelis are good 👍

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Iwi Arad is great option if we really want imported/License produced
We should rather trust our real partners

And Israelis are good 👍

But anyday, I will say go for IWI Arad, because we have the infrastructure for its production ready, are being already produced in India, have an 11.5” Barrel which has a better dwell time compared to 10.3” MK18 or 10.5” AR-15s you typically find, plus the 11.5” Arad has comparitively better muzzle velocity and stopping power along with accuracy at 200m (Army’s requirement) compared to 10.3” MK18 or 10.5” AR-15s you typically find. And the 11.5” Arad is exactly 800mm long which is what Army wants, no more than 800mm long with stock extended.

But I’ve heard that CAR-816 is the most reliable AR-15 out there because it’s designers are the ones who made both HK-416 and SiG-516 and later made a better CAR-816, but then IWI Arad is very lighter compared to CAR-816, a CAR-816 10.5” Costs $1,849 while a Daniel Defence MK18 CQBR costs $1,890 that’s a difference of $40 when buying en masse.

While no data on what is the price of IWI Arad, but Arad’s accessories are already being produced here so import of them will not be an issue.
1614370921240.jpeg

1614370953712.jpeg

Hari Sud

Country flag
Let us get out of the discussion of various rifles. Contract with Russia to manufacture AK-203 is inches away, hence talk of other rifles is undesired.

Gessler

Country flag
Imagine orange stock on desi CAR 816 🤣
By the way, does anyone have on good authority the reason/reasoning behind painting the 1A INSAS stock & handguard in that bright high-visibility orange instead of black (like they did on 1B onwards)?

Let us get out of the discussion of various rifles. Contract with Russia to manufacture AK-203 is inches away, hence talk of other rifles is undesired.
They are talking about the weapon to be bought under 5.56x45 carbine competition. The AK203 deal is separate.

Whitecollar

Country flag
By the way, does anyone have on good authority the reason/reasoning behind painting the 1A INSAS stock & handguard in that bright high-visibility orange instead of black (like they did on 1B onwards)?

They are talking about the weapon to be bought under 5.56x45 carbine competition. The AK203 deal is separate.
I guess it was because some hotshot Gernail might've posed a question at board meetings:"Low light condition me agar INSAS kaale color me hai to humare soldiers unhe kaise dhundenge?"
OFB was like"Don't worry sir! We have ample of ORANGE PAINT to change the History of Firearms!"

Flying Dagger

Country flag
There are more reasons for Caracal than just Indians offering new RFI for carbines,
one primary reason is this RFI could be their last resort to sell the CAR816 in good numbers to a major army,
reason = South Koreans,

just search "Dasan DSAR15P"

View attachment 79861

Basically Caracal did a JV with Dasan Industries of SoKorea,
they pulled a choyna on them,made their own short stroke AR from CAR816 they got named DSAR-15P (P stands for Piston,of course,there also is DI version = M4 alternative from their side named DSAR-15),
in trials "local" variant got selected and an initial batch of some 1000 carbines were sent to ROK SF unit for testing-evaluation etc and if all goes "well" they'll field some 16000+ carbines by 2024

Just go there and refer to their catalog, they've got everything under one roof - AR (both DI and Gas Piston ones,in both primary calibers 5.56 and 7.62 NATO), AK and the Daewoo K-2 of course, 😏 and finally CAR816 yes!
Catalog link - http://www.da-san.co.kr/asset/images/dasan_2018.pdf
PDF Size = around 22 MB

I personally believe this is one of the reason Caracal stayed away from doing any JV with us and only pushed for CAR816 as standalone supplier, unko darr hoga ki kahi yeh bhi kaapi maar ke GPL naa maar de.
That we can do anyway...

In between they have openly mentioned it's based on car so they must have acquired license for it or paid a one time fees for Dev ?

If we have to copy something better hit a scar or HK 433 as both companies have blacklisted us.

Last edited:

Whitecollar

Country flag
That we can do anyway...

In between they have openly mentioned it's based on car so they must have acquired license for it or paid a one time fees for Dev ?

If we have to copy something better hit a scar or HK 433 as both companies have blacklisted us.
I kid you not, people have gone so far with modern tech like 3Dprinting, they can literally make working model of 9mm glocks and SMGs.

You can even find a glock's schematic on torrent searches...anyways, if OFB still can't reproduce a world class rifle or a sidearm, then most probably it should be privatized...

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
I kid you not, people have gone so far with modern tech like 3Dprinting, they can literally make working model of 9mm glocks and SMGs.

You can even find a glock's schematic on torrent searches...anyways, if OFB still can't reproduce a world class rifle or a sidearm, then most probably it should be privatized...
Main problem of OFB is that they still do not have imagination and doesn't try new designs always ak or SLR we cant blaim the army for rejecting their products.OFB has no future in making guns they should be only used in ammo production and private companies should step up gun production through indigenous guns

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
OFB is that they still do not have imagination and doesn't try new designs always ak or SLR
OFB is a production agency. Not a R&D agency like DRDO. They have very recently started a R&D section based on meagere profits they generate. What they can improve is quality of the production and deliver on time. Rest is upto the Army who chooses the design as well as vendor based upon its own testing.

Also, SLR (short stroke piston) and AK (long stroke piston) are world class designs. They may be old but are known for their high reliability in the various terrains that IA operates. US is still using AR-15s which was designed in 1950s. They are just adding modern furniture and kits over the basic design, and using modern metallurgy to make it a 21st century rifle.

Basic rifle designs haven't changed since the last 50 years. Hence most modern rifles are offsprings of AR-15/10s, AR-18s, AK-47s, G-3, Bullpup or FAL.

DI system is something which is very new to IA. Let see how the experience goes with Sig's

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles