Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gessler

Country flag
I have seen few delta or Army rangers video about set-up it's plain and simple no guccci stuff
True, its also important to disseminate sources of information as well. There's lots of ex-SOF guys on Youtube that always have great evidence-based info to share, however the vast majority of uninitiated people are drawn to Youtube equivalent of Mall Ninjas or Boogaloo Boys.

That said, its also important to be clear about what is Gucci gear and what isn't. There are unfortunately lot of people on this forum alone who seem to think anything that doesn't come with the rifle out of the box is Gucci gear.

WARREN SS

Country flag
Any thoughts on this from my perspective this deal is not good

View attachment 73706
Ak is always good assault rifle
With optics improvements
Ak is deadly and far more user friendly than any rifle out there

It's 7.62×39 makes it better option than standard 5.56 carbine

Its all weather time tested platform with opetational history with Indian army.

Pig benis on sushy

Country flag
With optics improvements

So why is Russia moving to 5.56 hmmm And USA to 6.8 I wanna see face of ufcer and army after they buy ak203 permanent buttstock and USA along with nato moves to 6.8 as standard

WARREN SS

Country flag
So why is Russia moving to 5.56 hmmm And USA to 6.8 I wanna see face of ufcer and army after they buy ak203 permanent buttstock and USA along with nato moves to 6.8 as standard
Ak is still standard rifle for Russia
And 6.8 is still far from deployment

Flying Dagger

Country flag
You can agree however that this deal will give the IA a stable, Just Werkz "service rifle" won't it? instead of them being ill-equipped thanks to years long tug of war between IMPORT HI IMPORT HOGA lobby and Make In India by OFB/DRDO group
There is no dearth of AKs available for as low as 25-30k and with Fab defence modification and scopes much better than the one offered at 80 k+

They have been using 5.56 round for long now as 7.62 AK lacks accuracy and have high recoil .

6.5/6.8 provide accuracy range as well as power required to take enemy out.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
With optics improvements

There is no doubt about AK's reliability and 'soldier-proof'-ness,
but question(s) should be if AK is the one rifle that army wants then what 'special sauce' is provided with AK-203 that we have to import-get loicense-ToT for that one while we make Trichy, Ghaatak etc variants here at home ? What does AK-203 that Trichy or Ghaatak could not do ? if Rails is the reply then how come we could not make our own AK-203 equivalent rifle from Trichy or Ghaatak by providing railed top cover on it ?

Last edited:

Killbot

Country flag
Dunno where you got that from, but 7.62*39 is just a sorry excuse for anything other than a CQB carbine/PDW.

Of course, 5.56 would be better even in SBR/PDW configuration. 7.62x39 is a low velocity, high drag cartridge. Can't compete with 5.56mm. Whoever wrote IA's stupid ass GSQRs ought to be court martialed.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Are we even getting same buttstock as in pic ? Or this one

View attachment 73919
This one, as confirmed by @captscooby81. Kaptaan went to the defexpo2020 and saw this one there and also got confirmation that this is the version of AK-203 (in reality AK-103M) that we are getting IF the deal is signed et cetra et cetra.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
This one, as confirmed by @captscooby81. Kaptaan went to the defexpo2020 and saw this one there and also got confirmation that this is the version of AK-203 (in reality AK-103M) that we are getting IF the deal is signed et cetra et cetra.
What is the issue with sidefolding stock Ak103M/203 which is meant for the general infantry and not special forces?I had seen many SSO guys in syria with the very same stocks in their modified Aks as it controls recoil in a good manner.
I know the issues like its over priced, we already makes Tar, so fitting it with a rigid upper receiver with rail and a new muzzle brake and Quad rails aint any rocket science etc.

Couldn't this weapon do the tasks of general infantry and RR? I had read yours or Gesslers comments that we couldnhave gone for Galil Ace. Yes its true that it beats the Ak, but as far as i had seen that, edges are just marginal ones or doesnt justify the very high price tag of that weapon. Even the TFB guybwas evaluating an old M72 with a new Galil Ace and not any brand new tactical Bulgarian or Russian Ak. Its true that Vietnam had chosed Galil and is making them. Afaik its a political decision just like we made with Russia or just like we bought X-95s for Capfs.
PS:Its just a political decision, nothing otherthan that.So there is nil chance that they are going to select anything other than that. Why else they would go for almost doubly priced russian ones when they could get almost same stuff at half price from Bulgaria that too imported and made of lot lot better Bulgarian metallurgy than the ones we are going to use it in India to make weapons.

Pig benis on sushy

Country flag
What is the issue with sidefolding stock Ak103M/203 which is meant for the general infantry and not special forces?I had seen many SSO guys in syria with the very same stocks in their modified Aks as it controls recoil in a good manner.
I know the issues like its over priced, we already makes Tar, so fitting it with a rigid upper receiver with rail and a new muzzle brake and Quad rails aint any rocket science etc.

Couldn't this weapon do the tasks of general infantry and RR? I had read yours or Gesslers comments that we couldnhave gone for Galil Ace. Yes its true that it beats the Ak, but as far as i had seen that, edges are just marginal ones or doesnt justify the very high price tag of that weapon. Even the TFB guybwas evaluating an old M72 with a new Galil Ace and not any brand new tactical Bulgarian or Russian Ak. Its true that Vietnam had chosed Galil and is making them. Afaik its a political decision just like we made with Russia or just like we bought X-95s for Capfs.
PS:Its just a political decision, nothing otherthan that.So there is nil chance that they are going to select anything other than that. Why else they would go for almost doubly priced russian ones when they could get almost same stuff at half price from Bulgaria that too imported and made of lot lot better Bulgarian metallurgy than the ones we are going to use it in India to make weapons.
Its politics up election are near sad that every soldiers are given these guns

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

I don't have any issue with this pattern of buttstock*, nor do i like Galil ACE to be clear,in fact i've written my views on ACE in past where i called out my issues with that being peddled as a space-age AK thingy at here and some other posts in past.

*HOWEVER if you remember this post of mine your questions are already answered here in my old post
😏 You see Sir,Our guys went there in Rossiya to discuss deal of AK-103 ( = AK-74M in 7.62x39mm ) but it was the russians who insisted on modern iteration of it ala AK-203 which had length adjustable buttstock that also folds on side.
We signed the deal,
then someone decides that giving soldiers a length adjustable buttstock = training ka kharcha badhana, apart from procurement cost etc etc and got downgraded one (basically AK-103 with railed top cover) instead.

ALSO,I THINK NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF HOW RUSSIANS DID WHOLE AK BUSINESS AFTER BREAKUP OF USSR (TALKING ABOUT NOT ONLY AK-100 SERIES BUT ALSO AK-12 ETC)...IF YOU'D KNOW ABOUT IT AND CO-RELATE WHOLE THING WITH AK-203 (?) DEAL WE DID WITH THEM YOUR BLOOD WOULD LITERALLY TURN INTO STEAM IN SHEAR ANGER...WOULD TRY TO POST A QUICK SUMMARY SORTA THING WITH TIMELINE (IN YEARS) TO EXPLAIN WHOLE THING.
So coming back to that pattern of buttstock, My only issue is for given pricetag AND royalty charges we should get a firearm that is feature-rich by default instead of showing this afsargiri+babugiri towards average sipahi that unko adjustable buttstock de denge toh training cost high ho jaaegi (sic) else it'll be second drive of importing FAB-kits for these "Modern" AK rifles anyway when some units would decide that they want adjustable buttstocks on their AK203s.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles