Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
This is not an assault rifle, but still I thought it better to post these here than opening a new thread.

Vidhwansak Anti-Material rifle.

(Image courtesy - The Hindu)

(Image courtesy - The Hindu)

It is rumored to be a reverse engineered NTW-20.

NTW 20.

Also, it is a bolt-action rifle, which does not permit semi-auto mode of fire, unlike the M82A1.

bsn4u1985

AK-103

Russian-designed version of the famous AKM assault rifle, chambered for the 7.62x39mm M43 round. It combines the AKM design with developments from the AK-74 and AK-74M, with the use of plastics to replace metal or wooden components wherever possible to reduce overall weight. The AK-103 can be fitted with a variety of sights, including laser, night vision, and telescopic sights, plus a suppressor and the GP-30 grenade launcher.

it is also used by indian army and produced under license by indian arms manufacturer.

AK-103 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Logan

Country flag
Hi!!! i'm new to this forum
Can anyone plzz tell me if India's DRDO and OFB is developing a new assault rifle capable of firing the 6.8mm round then why is the Indian army looking for a foreign variant like the Tavor X95 or the SAR-21...
Can anyone post a few pics of the new assault rifle being developed.........

gogbot

Hi!!! i'm new to this forum
Can anyone plzz tell me if India's DRDO and OFB is developing a new assault rifle capable of firing the 6.8mm round then why is the Indian army looking for a foreign variant like the Tavor X95 or the SAR-21...
Can anyone post a few pics of the new assault rifle being developed.........
No info , other than this video. And some vague info from expo's

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan

Country flag
yes i've seen this video before!!!and that thing looks too big to be the next standard assault rifle of the Indian armed forces,,,,,however is it the real prototype of the weapon or is it just a rough outline.

pavanvenkatesh

yes i've seen this video before!!!and that thing looks too big to be the next standard assault rifle of the Indian armed forces,,,,,however is it the real prototype of the weapon or is it just a rough outline.
Its just a prototype, and judging by the track record of our babus they have not even come close to developing it

Logan

Country flag
Its just a prototype, and judging by the track record of our babus they have not even come close to developing it
Right said friend only if the babus can find some tym from filling their pockets,,they can concentrate on building a good weapon out of it,,,
I really feel for the infantry ,,,that even after being provided with fairly ancient weaponary they risk their lives just for the sake of their motherland.

pavanvenkatesh

Right said friend only if the babus can find some tym from filling their pockets,,they can concentrate on building a good weapon out of it,,,
I really feel for the infantry ,,,that even after being provided with fairly ancient weaponary they risk their lives just for the sake of their motherland.
Exaclty do you that our infantrymen don't even have a carbine rifle!! even pakistan and bangladesh has one carbines are useful in urban warfare and COIN ops but they have to do with the standerd INSAS rifles which are heavy maintainence intensive and also of average quality

Logan

Country flag
Exaclty do you that our infantrymen don't even have a carbine rifle!! even pakistan and bangladesh has one carbines are useful in urban warfare and COIN ops but they have to do with the standerd INSAS rifles which are heavy maintainence intensive and also of average quality
What about the MSMC that was being developed at the ARDE,,,shall it ever be put to use ,,,,or is it always going to be in the state of development.....
That weapon looks nice enough may be its high time to replace the ancient 9mm British steyns which are in service with the much modern MSMC.

pavanvenkatesh

What about the MSMC that was being developed at the ARDE,,,shall it ever be put to use ,,,,or is it always going to be in the state of development.....
That weapon looks nice enough may be its high time to replace the ancient 9mm British steyns which are in service with the much modern MSMC.
That is undergoing trials right now it was initially rejected i guess but it is still not clear whether they are ready or not

Logan

Country flag
That is undergoing trials right now it was initially rejected i guess but it is still not clear whether they are ready or not
I read in an article few days back thet India has sent out tender invitations for foreign made carbines ,,,some of the variants in contention were the SAR-21 of Singapore,Belgian F2000,IWI Micro Tavor,,,,
Any news on the progress so far...

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/ELCAN-DigitalHunter-Day-Night-Digital-Rifle-Scope-KIT.html

this kind of digital day and night scope would be great for INSAS rifle, it cost is $1555/-

Specifications
Magnification, x 2.5 - 16.5
Displayed FOV at 100 yards, ft 36.4 (at 2.5x) - 5.8 (at 16.5x)
Exit Pupil Diameter, mm 12
Eye Relief, mm 60
Dopter Adjustment +/- 6
Operating Time, hrs up to 4 at 77°F (25°C)
Power Source 4 AA Lithium Batteries
Operating Temperature -4°F to 120°F (-20°C 49°C)
Length (without eye guard), in 11.75 inches
Weight, oz 26
Environments Rainproof, Shockproof
Video Recording Rate 15 Hz for 20 sec at QVGA resolution
Image compression JPEG
Video compression DV AVI Type 2 (MJPEG)
Memory Secure Digital Card
YUKON IR Flashlight
Power, mW 100 (2 pcs)
Illumination Distance, yds up to 70
Operating Time, hrs up to 10
Power Source 2 AA Batteries

pavanvenkatesh

I read in an article few days back thet India has sent out tender invitations for foreign made carbines ,,,some of the variants in contention were the SAR-21 of Singapore,Belgian F2000,IWI Micro Tavor,,,,
Any news on the progress so far...
Actually the Tevors are already in use, the para commandos have already replaced there Ak's and INSAS with tevors they have been using them for some time now they are already in discussions with isreal to supply red dot visions,scopes and laser sights for the rifles, the MARCOS use the M-4's but that cannot be confirmed

Logan

Country flag
Actually the Tevors are already in use, the para commandos have already replaced there Ak's and INSAS with tevors they have been using them for some time now they are already in discussions with isreal to supply red dot visions,scopes and laser sights for the rifles, the MARCOS use the M-4's but that cannot be confirmed
Yes but that's okay for the special forces lyk paracommandoes and MARCOS,,,,bt do know any such news about the general infantry,,will they continue to operate with their INSAS which is said to be good for injuring the enemy thus earning a strategic upperhand while the enemy is involved in rescuing their partners,,,,,however i've heard that this idea is actually becoming obsolete and the army is looking for a weapon that can cause instant kill.
Any news on the progress so far.....

pavanvenkatesh

Yes but that's okay for the special forces lyk paracommandoes and MARCOS,,,,bt do know any such news about the general infantry,,will they continue to operate with their INSAS which is said to be good for injuring the enemy thus earning a strategic upperhand while the enemy is involved in rescuing their partners,,,,,however i've heard that this idea is actually becoming obsolete and the army is looking for a weapon that can cause instant kill.
Any news on the progress so far.....
Actually i don't think there is any gun in the world which only injures a person rather than killing them i don't know where the idea came from even if you fire from an enfield .303 and it hits the target (i.e head or heart or any vital organ)) they are dead period!!! as far as INSAS is concerned the army is looking for alternatives for there general infantry but no RFP's has been posted yet

Last edited:

Logan

Country flag
Actually i don't think there is any gun in the world which only injures a person rather than killing them i don't know where the idea came from even if you fire from an enfield .303 and it hits the target (i.e head or heart or any vital organ)) they are dead period!!! as far as INSAS is concerned the army is looking for alternatives for there general infantry but no RFP's has been posted yet
Actually the problem is not with the INSAS alone but whatever i've said has actually been heard about the 5.56mm (NATO) rounds.It is said that the penetrating power of 5.56mm is not as much as compared to the 7.62mm of the Russian origin.However 5.56 was adopted more because of it's accuracy rather than penetration,now most of the countries including India are involved in developing the 6.8mm rounds which has the accuracy of 5.56mm and penetration of 7.62mm.Today most of the assault rifles actually fires the 5.56mm bt soon they are going to become obsolete.
So it's not just about killing,,,the idea must not be generalised,,if killing is concerned even an accurate punch on the Vagus nerve can do so e,, it has been used by the Ninjas.So there is no point in looking at it from just one direction only.

AJSINGH

i believe that the best assult rifle every soilder in IA should have should be upgraded Ak-47 ( cheap and low maintenance ) with laser designator and sniper scope ...after all the upgrade it will still be cheaper

Anshu Attri

Country flag
http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20100525/159151188.html

Russia to test new model of Kalashnikov assault rifle in 2011

State tests of the new model of Kalashnikov automatic rifles will be held in Russia next year, Izhmash Director General Vladimir Grodetsky said on Tuesday.
The new model of the legendary assault rifle, the AK-200, is based on the AK-74M and differs in weight (3.8 kilograms/8.4 lbs vs. 3.3 kilograms/7.3 lbs) and the magazine capacity (30, 50, 60 rounds vs. 30).
The AK-74, a developed version of the Kalashnikov rifle's first model, the AK-47, was introduced in 1974 and used by the Soviet forces during the Afghanistan conflict.
The AK-47 was originally created by Mikhail Kalashnikov, who as a WWII soldier was inspired to design the weapon after being wounded in 1941. While his first attempts were unsuccessful, he was given a position in weapons development, and by 1947 he had perfected his masterpiece.
Since then, the AK-47 has become the most widespread and famous assault rifle. Used by some 50 armies around the world, as well as countless urban guerrilla movements, it is also featured on the flag of Mozambique.
Kalashnikov received Russia's highest honorary title on his 90th birthday last November. Accepting the award, Kalashnikov voiced regret that his creation, the world's most widely used rifle, has been often misused.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev described the AK-47 at the ceremony as "an excellent model of Russian weaponry" and "a national brand that makes each citizen proud."

Anshu Attri

Country flag
http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20100525/159151188.html

Russia to test new model of Kalashnikov assault rifle in 2011

State tests of the new model of Kalashnikov automatic rifles will be held in Russia next year, Izhmash Director General Vladimir Grodetsky said on Tuesday.
The new model of the legendary assault rifle, the AK-200, is based on the AK-74M and differs in weight (3.8 kilograms/8.4 lbs vs. 3.3 kilograms/7.3 lbs) and the magazine capacity (30, 50, 60 rounds vs. 30).
The AK-74, a developed version of the Kalashnikov rifle's first model, the AK-47, was introduced in 1974 and used by the Soviet forces during the Afghanistan conflict.
The AK-47 was originally created by Mikhail Kalashnikov, who as a WWII soldier was inspired to design the weapon after being wounded in 1941. While his first attempts were unsuccessful, he was given a position in weapons development, and by 1947 he had perfected his masterpiece.
Since then, the AK-47 has become the most widespread and famous assault rifle. Used by some 50 armies around the world, as well as countless urban guerrilla movements, it is also featured on the flag of Mozambique.
Kalashnikov received Russia's highest honorary title on his 90th birthday last November. Accepting the award, Kalashnikov voiced regret that his creation, the world's most widely used rifle, has been often misused.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev described the AK-47 at the ceremony as "an excellent model of Russian weaponry" and "a national brand that makes each citizen proud."

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles