Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
.303 Mark I/ III ROYAL Enfield RIFLE ... THE FIRST ASSAULT RIFLE OF OFB .. THE RIFLE OF 21 CENTURY..

HOW CAN ANY THING BE BETTER ??

Hari Sud

Country flag
Bhadra

Must you answer all post with replies going from one stupidity to another. What was your point about comparing Lee Enfield .303 rifle with the photos of assault rifles posted by Indiadefencefan.

Hari Sud

Country flag
FN SCAR 17 SBR ...................

If you got it right, then I must compliment you.

Just one question, is there a practical use of these complicated looking weapon in a battlefield. These look very nice in a showcase or an exhibitIon. But a soldier like our commandos in Burma who trekked fifteen kilometre in a thick jungle at night through water streams and foliage, would be hard pressed if they found that complicated but sexy looking mechanism of this rifle failed.

Simpler, reliable, sturdy and light weight are still the key words of a rifle whether assault rifle or battle rifle.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
If you got it right, then I must compliment you.

Just one question, is there a practical use of these complicated looking weapon in a battlefield. These look very nice in a showcase or an exhibitIon. But a soldier like our commandos in Burma who trekked fifteen kilometre in a thick jungle at night through water streams and foliage, would be hard pressed if they found that complicated but sexy looking mechanism of this rifle failed.

Simpler, reliable, sturdy and light weight are still the key words of a rifle whether assault rifle or battle rifle.

Thanks but it's not really that hard to id FN SCARs :)

Ahem *eggspert hat on/

Saar first of all, most of these are from the gun enthusiasts who like to put on each and every add-on kit that they can get their hands on/moolah can buy on their piece , just to make it look like more "tacticool" & sh!t ! and post pics all over net. (not that there aren't SF units out the who are using some of these stuff) but from what i've seen/heard about our own SF boys, good sights and an UBGL on the rifle is good enough at most of the times. But having said that if those extra add-ons makes your life easier/helps you to stay 2 steps ahead of your opponent in the battlefield then why not use it, no ? There joo go, just my eggspert opinion. (Ps. now before someone tries to jump on me with his 'expert analysis', i must remind you that i got ma Navy Seal copypasta ready. hah! :p )
Oh and as Kunal Boss said; teh SCAR is Noiice ! :cool:
*eggspert hat off/

SPIEZ

Country flag
A rifle ahead of it's generation. The AR 18 with high level of reliability and the foundation of some of the other rifle such as SA-80, Howa Type 89.

P.S. This is the review of the Civilian version. However all rifles have the same design, mechanism and principle.

SafedSagar

Country flag
ASh-12.7 assault rifle (Russia)

ASh-12.7 assault rifle is being demonstrated by KBP's chief small arms designer, V.Zelenko
photo: "National Defense" magazine

same photo, close-up view on the rifle

ASh-12.7 assault rifle prototype with 3-shot revolver UBGL and silencer

12.7x55 ammunition for ASh-12.7 assault rifle, L-R: with light bullet, with duplex load, with heavy bullet, with AP bullet
photo: "National Defense" magazine

12.7x55 case compared to .499 LWR, .50 Beowulf and 7,62x39 for scale

ASh-12.7 (АШ-12.7, which stands for “Автоматштурмовой 12.7мм” or “Automatic assault rifle, 12,7mm”) assault rifle is a dedicated CQB / Urban operations weapon, developed by famous Russian KBP design bureau on request from Russian FSB (Federal Security service). This weapon is intended for special units of FSB which operate in urban environment against heavily armed and organized gangsters and terrorists. According to the Russian press, first batch of ASh-12.7 assault rifles was delivered to FSB late in 2011.

It must be noted that information below is mostly based on available photos, published patents and author's own observations and knowledge. This article will be updated as soon as more reliable and detailed information will be available.

As said above, ASh-12.7 is a dedicated “Close / Urban combat” weapon for high-risk law enforcement operations, which must combine high stopping power with limited penetration and short 'dangerous range', to avoid collateral damage to innocent bystanders or hostages. To achieve these goals, designers of ASh-12.7 assault rifle developed special large-caliber ammunition, loaded with variety of bullets. Ammunition for ASh-12.7 is based on the 12,7x55 straight-walled, rimless brass case, originally developed by same organization for silenced VKS sniper rifle. Standard loading for ASh-12.7 is a lightweight, supersonic bullet with aluminum core, exposed at the front and hollowed at the rear. It is partially enclosed into bi-metal jacket. Bullet weight is assumed to be about 7 gram / 108 grains, muzzle velocity is unknown. There also several other loadings, with heavy bullet (most possibly subsonic), AP with hardened steel core, and duplex load with two light bullets.

This new Russian “.50-caliber” cartridge bears certain conceptual similarity to a family of big-bore cartridges, developed in USA for AR-15 platform, such as .499 LWR or .50 Beowulf, although Russian cartridge uses longer case. It also can use very light (for its caliber) bullets as well as heavy ones, while its American counterparts usually are loaded with heavy bullets weighting 19 gram / 300 grs and up.

The ASh-12.7 assault rifle itself is of bullpup layout, with stamped steel receiver and polymer housing / stock. It is believed to have gas operated, rotary bolt action. Firing controls include two separate levers – fire mode selector (Semi / Auto) at the rear and ambidextrous safety (Safe / Fire) above the pistol grip. There are several configurations of the basic rifle. First one features integral carrying handle with built-in rear diopter sight and folding front sigh. A length of the Picatinny rail is installed on the carrying handle to accept various optical sights. Another version that was observed on some photos features “flat top” configuration with Picatinny rail running atop of the receiver, and rear and front sights installed on folding bases. Other variations include either a Picatinny rail below the forend or an 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher. Muzzle devices include massive muzzle brake or quick-detachable sound moderator (silencer).

Hari Sud

Country flag
The foreign made assault rifle chapter for the Indian Army is closed. All these assault rifles failed under one or the other conditions. INSAS performed better than all of them.

Now the question as Gen V K Singh (former COAS) says that that INSAS being a defensive weapon has to be replaced with a new weapon for the next 40 years. He did not say all that foul mouth which goes on in this and other forums about INSAS. With great clarity in the TV interview he said that it has all the attributes of good rifle as its range, flat trajectory, hitting power and reliability are unquestioned. He also stated that terrorists do carry AK47 which empties its magazine in five seconds and sprays everybody in the target with bullets, although it is inaccurate, lower range but reliable. Hence some components of the army involved in counterinsurgency do carry AK47s.

Then which rifle anywhere in the world has a future in the Indian Army, since all the one tested have failed. There are reports that world manufacturers did not bring the very best to India for tests, they kept the latest technology behind.

Let us see what happens next. May be a better disciplined DRDO or our Ordanace Factories may come up with a better rifle. The latter already have multiple design based on INSAS either in production or in a prototype stage. These all, what Gen. V K Singh implied as defensive weapons. Hence a new innovation is needed.

indiandefencefan

Country flag

Found this pic in the "indian military pictures" thread in PDF
can anyone tell me which gun this soldier is holding ??

Zarvan

Pakistan has decided to replace its standard weapon G3 with a new Assault Rifle. For this purpose a board of officers led by a Major General will evaluate all the Guns in use with major Armed Forces of the world and select one of them.
Sources are telling me these Guns will be among those which will be tested.
unnamed (9).jpg

MPT-76 from Turkey
unnamed (10).jpg

HK-417 from Germany
unnamed (8).jpg

AK-12 of Russia
unnamed (11).jpg

FN SCAR made by Belgium
@Neo @StealthSniper @HINDU - BHARATIYA @Ind4Ever @iNDiAN.96 @indian_sukhoi @Bhadra @Rowdy @SajeevJino @Martian @Srinivas_K @Kunal Biswas

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Very nice ..... seems like a tough competition .... What operating temperatures does Pak Army need.

Zarvan

Very nice ..... seems like a tough competition .... What operating temperatures does Pak Army need.
From 50 C to -50 C because Pakistan has from deserts to mountains which have close to - 50 C temperature

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
From 50 C to -50 C because Pakistan has from deserts to mountains which have close to - 50 C temperature
Then I'd be interested in the result because we couldn't find a gun that works in all these temperatures.

Zarvan

Then I'd be interested in the result because we couldn't find a gun that works in all these temperatures.
You should have tested FN SCAR and HK-417. I think you didn't even tested Colt M4. I have serious questions on How you tested and the Guns you chose for tests ?

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
You should have tested FN SCAR and HK-417. I think you didn't even tested Colt M4. I have serious questions on How you tested and the Guns you chose for tests ?
i'll dig up the info by evening.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles